Panthersfanz Forums
Scott Fowler on the game - Printable Version

+- Panthersfanz Forums (https://panthersfanz.com/board)
+-- Forum: Carolina Panthers Fanz Forum (https://panthersfanz.com/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Carolina Panthers Talk (https://panthersfanz.com/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Scott Fowler on the game (/showthread.php?tid=1658)

Pages: 1 2

Scott Fowler on the game - Ladypanther - 09-09-2024

From Tepper's favorite sportswriter....lol

On Bryce Young’s very first pass of the 2024 season, he threw an interception.

In the second half, Young improved. It took him until his second pass to throw an interception. 

After a full offseason, with a vibrant young play caller installed as his head coach and several additional offensive weapons to work with, Young looked exactly the same in the beginning of his second season as he did at the end of his first. Overwhelmed. Undersized. Out of his element. 

Yes, the Panthers’ embarrassing 47-10 loss to New Orleans in Week 1 of the 2024 NFL season was only one game. And the Carolina defense was surprisingly just as bad and possibly even worse than Young, as it allowed an astonishing nine scoring drives on the Saints’ first nine possessions. But at the forefront of all this pain inflicted on another black-and-blue Sunday for Carolina was Young, the former Heisman Trophy winner at Alabama who plays the game’s most important position. And although I’m trying to give him the benefit of the doubt, I just don’t know if it’s ever going to work out for him in Charlotte. The Panthers will give it every chance, of course, because they’ve invested the No. 1 selection of the 2023 NFL Draft and so much else in Young. They have earmarked him as the guy from the very first game of his NFL career, making him the starter and a team captain and entrusting much of their future to him. He’s only 23. There’s that. And he looked good in training camp and in his one drive of the preseason. There’s that, too. But wishing Young was the guy and him actually turning into the guy are two very different things. 

I’d love to be proven wrong, because it’s not a lot of fun to cover a losing team every single year, and I feel for all the fans who have to watch this mess. But all we saw Sunday was the Panthers threatening numerous team records for futility with this 37-point opening-day loss, which not only took the bloom off the rose, but also took the rose itself and threw it into a wood chipper. 

The quarterback numbers: Young was 13 for 30 for 161 yards, with no touchdown passes and two interceptions. He was sacked four times. His QB rating was 32.8. Somehow, it looked even worse. 

The game was comical. It was infuriating. It was both believable and unbelievable — believable that the Panthers would lose again, because they went an NFL-worst 2-15 a year ago and haven’t made the playoffs since 2017. This was the 100th game of David Tepper’s tenure as the owner of the Panthers, and the team is 31-69 and has never had a winning record since the billionaire bought it. But it was also unbelievable that the Panthers would be down 30-0 in the second quarter to a Saints team that is, most likely, mediocre. 

‘WE GOT OUR ASS KICKED’ Said Robert Hunt, the Panthers’ new offensive guard who is supposed to be part of the offensive retooling: “I just think we got our ass kicked today, you know what I mean? Truth be told, we just got whooped in every phase.” 

I’ve covered the Panthers for three decades, and I’m not sure the Panthers have played a worse half of football in their 30 seasons than in the first half of this one.

Read more at: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article291797305.html#storylink=cpy

RE: Scott Fowler on the game - Hobbit99 - 09-09-2024

Well ...... He's NOT wrong.

At least in this case.

RE: Scott Fowler on the game - OceanPanther - 09-10-2024

Are we so bad,, that if we lose a game close. 24-23 or something like that,, that we'll be happy that we were competitive. ? I guess it'll depend on how Bryce plays in the losses... Right now a close loss that is caused by say a Bryce interception or fumble ,, will not feel good. But a lose where Bryce plays well will feel like a win ..

I hated the cameras on Bryce after the interception at the start of 2nd half.. he truly looked defeated.

RE: Scott Fowler on the game - Ladypanther - 09-10-2024

(09-10-2024, 08:03 AM)OceanPanther Wrote: Are we so bad,,  that if we lose a game close.  24-23  or something like that,, that we'll be happy that we were competitive.  ?  I guess it'll depend on how Bryce plays in the losses...  Right now a close loss that is caused by say a Bryce interception or fumble ,,  will not feel good.  But a lose where Bryce plays well will feel like a win ..   

I hated the cameras on Bryce after the interception at  the start of  2nd half..  he truly looked defeated.

Looks like the new goal is not to be blown out. Some work to do to get there.

In the meantime...Monday morning....

Urgent call to scouts

[Image: vddaccdbancyfrgwnhjd.jpg]

Find me a QB!!!

RE: Scott Fowler on the game - Hobbit99 - 09-10-2024

As OP mentioned, how we feel about our team depends a lot on perception. So, let me say this about that.... hahaha.

Rookie QBs (especially highly sought after ones..) are a pretentious lot. They've been pushed and 'lifted-up' all of their football lives. They hear all of the accolades, continuously listen for the next big "applause", and in general come to believe all of the hype and bask in the glory. We, the fans. are doing them no favor by promoting their "rapidly rising star" as the next greatest thing in the professional football world. THE TRUTH is, a LOT of these QBs, as good a player as they might be, will never grow into a QB dynamo. A few will make it. More will hang on as "starters" for a few years then fade, and others will languish in mediocrity for their careers, laughing all the way to the bank, still believing they were misunderstood and mis-used and blaming others for their descent into worn-out backup irrelevancy.

Still, for the best of these guys there is indeed a place for them to shine. For others, they may eventually "make it". Bryce Young may in fact be one of those. Let me give you an example. In 2020 there was a QB drafted with the light shining on him. He played in 10 games that year and was pretty much a non-factor. 64% Completions; Averaged 6.4 yards per completion; Long of 35 yards; 11 TDs, 5 INTs; 1800 yds; Rating of 87..... In 2021 he improved somewhat... 13 Games; 67.8% Comp.; 2600 yds; 6.8 per Comp.; Long of 65; 16 TDs, 10 INTs; Rating of 90.... In 2022, his 3rd year, more incremental improvement.. 13 games; 65% Comp.; 3550 yds; 8.9 per Comp.; Long of 84; 25 TDs, 8 INTs; Rating of 105.... Finally LAST YEAR... 17 Games; 69.3% Comp.; 46oo yds; 8.3 per Comp.; Long of 78; 29 TDs, 14 INTs;  Rating of 101........ So, an UP & DOWN career that did not really start to develop until his 3rd year playing. Today, he is considered a GOOD starting QB. Not great, mind you. Not a Top 10 QB. Going into his 5th year he is a good serviceable QB.

Is THIS what you want.??  Is THIS what you expect out of Bryce Young.??  IF SO... You are going to have to let him develop. There is no shortcut of which I am aware.  OTOH... There are the occasional QBs who show up immediately. These are the Patrick Mahomes, Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson, Joe Burrow type of player. These are a "once in a decade" style of player. It will take a LOT of luck to wait for lightning to strike while you're on the clock. If THIS is what you're looking for, it would make a lot of sense to keep your eyes peeled toward the heavens. That lightning you're waiting for is known to be a fickle supporting agent. It can exact a lot of revenge on the unwary...

NOTE:  For those who didn't recognize the developing QB up there ^^^.  It is Tua Tagovailoa. BRIGHT shining star in the draft. No real improvement until his 3rd year.

RE: Scott Fowler on the game - PantherFan007 - 09-10-2024

He is not wrong at all.  I'm not "Bryce hating" but being honest.  And honest enough, the entire TEAM stunk and looked out of place.  I was embarrassed FOR them.

In cased you missed the replay of the game, here are the highlights:

[Image: funny-fall.gif]

Big Grin Tongue

RE: Scott Fowler on the game - PantherFan007 - 09-10-2024

(09-10-2024, 10:59 AM)Ladypanther Wrote:
(09-10-2024, 08:03 AM)OceanPanther Wrote: Are we so bad,,  that if we lose a game close.  24-23  or something like that,, that we'll be happy that we were competitive.  ?  I guess it'll depend on how Bryce plays in the losses...  Right now a close loss that is caused by say a Bryce interception or fumble ,,  will not feel good.  But a lose where Bryce plays well will feel like a win ..   

I hated the cameras on Bryce after the interception at  the start of  2nd half..  he truly looked defeated.

Urgent call to scouts

Find me a QB!!!

I'll be honest, Jack Plummer looked better than Bryce Young to me, especially in that last preseason game.

RE: Scott Fowler on the game - Josh21 - 09-10-2024

(09-10-2024, 04:02 PM)PantherFan007 Wrote: He is not wrong at all.  I'm not "Bryce hating" but being honest.  And honest enough, the entire TEAM stunk and looked out of place.  I was embarrassed FOR them.

In cased you missed the replay of the game, here are the highlights:

[Image: funny-fall.gif]

Big Grin Tongue

Hilarious 007!

(09-10-2024, 12:15 PM)Hobbit99 Wrote: As OP mentioned, how we feel about our team depends a lot on perception. So, let me say this about that.... hahaha.

Rookie QBs (especially highly sought after ones..) are a pretentious lot. They've been pushed and 'lifted-up' all of their football lives. They hear all of the accolades, continuously listen for the next big "applause", and in general come to believe all of the hype and bask in the glory. We, the fans. are doing them no favor by promoting their "rapidly rising star" as the next greatest thing in the professional football world. THE TRUTH is, a LOT of these QBs, as good a player as they might be, will never grow into a QB dynamo. A few will make it. More will hang on as "starters" for a few years then fade, and others will languish in mediocrity for their careers, laughing all the way to the bank, still believing they were misunderstood and mis-used and blaming others for their descent into worn-out backup irrelevancy.

Still, for the best of these guys there is indeed a place for them to shine. For others, they may eventually "make it". Bryce Young may in fact be one of those. Let me give you an example. In 2020 there was a QB drafted with the light shining on him. He played in 10 games that year and was pretty much a non-factor. 64% Completions; Averaged 6.4 yards per completion; Long of 35 yards; 11 TDs, 5 INTs; 1800 yds; Rating of 87..... In 2021 he improved somewhat... 13 Games; 67.8% Comp.; 2600 yds; 6.8 per Comp.; Long of 65; 16 TDs, 10 INTs; Rating of 90.... In 2022, his 3rd year, more incremental improvement.. 13 games; 65% Comp.; 3550 yds; 8.9 per Comp.; Long of 84; 25 TDs, 8 INTs; Rating of 105.... Finally LAST YEAR... 17 Games; 69.3% Comp.; 46oo yds; 8.3 per Comp.; Long of 78; 29 TDs, 14 INTs;  Rating of 101........ So, an UP & DOWN career that did not really start to develop until his 3rd year playing. Today, he is considered a GOOD starting QB. Not great, mind you. Not a Top 10 QB. Going into his 5th year he is a good serviceable QB.

Is THIS what you want.??  Is THIS what you expect out of Bryce Young.??  IF SO... You are going to have to let him develop. There is no shortcut of which I am aware.  OTOH... There are the occasional QBs who show up immediately. These are the Patrick Mahomes, Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson, Joe Burrow type of player. These are a "once in a decade" style of player. It will take a LOT of luck to wait for lightning to strike while you're on the clock. If THIS is what you're looking for, it would make a lot of sense to keep your eyes peeled toward the heavens. That lightning you're waiting for is known to be a fickle supporting agent. It can exact a lot of revenge on the unwary...

NOTE:  For those who didn't recognize the developing QB up there ^^^.  It is Tua Tagovailoa. BRIGHT shining star in the draft. No real improvement until his 3rd year.

Good comp hobs, both even smallish.

RE: Scott Fowler on the game - Ladypanther - 09-10-2024

(09-10-2024, 04:06 PM)PantherFan007 Wrote:

Urgent call to scouts

Find me a QB!!!

I'll be honest, Jack Plummer looked better than Bryce Young to me, especially in that last preseason game.

Agree.007.  He made a lot of progress during the preseason.  And.....he is tall enough to see over the line!

RE: Scott Fowler on the game - Firstchance - 09-10-2024

(09-10-2024, 05:46 PM)Ladypanther Wrote:
(09-10-2024, 04:06 PM)PantherFan007 Wrote:

Urgent call to scouts

Find me a QB!!!

Agree.007.  He made a lot of progress during the preseason.  And.....he is tall enough to see over the line!

Actually he is on the phone trying to get back Brian Burns. He has offered two firsts and two seconds with a fifth rounder thrown in.