Panthersfanz Forums
My storm update - Printable Version

+- Panthersfanz Forums (https://panthersfanz.com/board)
+-- Forum: Carolina Panthers Fanz Forum (https://panthersfanz.com/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Completely Off-Topic (https://panthersfanz.com/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: My storm update (/showthread.php?tid=1712)

Pages: 1 2

My storm update - Ladypanther - 10-01-2024

A couple of people have messaged me, which I greatly appreciate their concern.  Thought I would just post in a thread.

I am in Morganton, NC which was devastated by the storm....but absolutely nothing near areas like Asheville.

Any parts of Morganton near the Catawba River were under water.

The tropical force winds went on for hours.  Trees down everywhere.  I had a lot down, miraculously none hit my house.  Many houses in this county had trees fall on them.  Roads everywhere were blocked with fallen trees or were underwater.

Among my down trees were 5 large ones, including 3 oaks that uprooted and fell in my driveway. So...I could not get out.  No power (still do not have it) and for 2 days this weekend no cell service.    Never imagined in this day and time one could be so isolated from everyone and no way to find out what was going on.  One of the last phone calls I was able to make before service went out was to a tree company.  They finally got to me Monday morning.  They said the spent all weekend getting trees off of houses.  Those guys were great...more like they were there to help someone rather than focusing on business. They undercharged me and said that they were not worried about getting paid.  I could get them the money when I could.  One other problem...they came to me and said the water had washed a gully at the end of my drive which I could not drive over. The cut some sticks and filled the hole and directed me as I drove over.  Have to park across the road until I can get  gravel delivery but I got out...thanks to the skill and kindness of those guys.  There are good people in this world.

Was able to find gas and water (I am now on a boil water mandate.  No power folks but boil your water!)

I work in an office that is in downtown area here....they got power this weekend and yesterday internet. Some banks still not open.  A lot of stores that are open can take cash only (lesson learn...stash money for an emergency)

This is an experience I never want to have again.  I cannot even begin to fathom what it is like for the people west of me in the mountains.  WNC will never be the same again.

In all this...I did listen to most of the Panther game (bummer)...listened to the radio in my car.  Had enough gas to run my engine for that and for device charging. (Another lesson learned...never get below 1/2 tank of gas.  Fortunately I had over that and as grateful.)

I hope everyone else made out ok.  Do we have a member that is west of here?  If so, just hope they are ok.

RE: My storm update - Hobbit99 - 10-01-2024

Yourock Thumbsup Clap3

Very pleased to hear from you. in times like these I am incredibly thankful for ALL blessings no matter how small. Crazy storm ... But you came through it. Things WILL get better. I am glad to hear no MAJOR storm damage to your home.  Power will be back (hopefully soon.!!)

As far as members locations are concerned... It's hard to tell. You may be the farthest West. Fingers crossed for everyone who was adversely affected by Helene.!!

Keep us advised... I am not too far East of you, if you need a hand with anything...

RE: My storm update - Ladypanther - 10-01-2024

(10-01-2024, 01:16 PM)Hobbit99 Wrote: Yourock Thumbsup Clap3

Very pleased to hear from you. in times like these I am incredibly thankful for ALL blessings no matter how small. Crazy storm ... But you came through it. Things WILL get better. I am glad to hear no MAJOR storm damage to your home.  Power will be back (hopefully soon.!!)

As far as members locations are concerned... It's hard to tell. You may be the farthest West. Fingers crossed for everyone who was adversely affected by Helene.!!

Keep us advised... I am not too far East of you, if you need a hand with anything...

That's so nice Hobs!! 

I do have a lot to be thankful for.

After sitting through hours of tropical force winds and watching the trees outside, hearing some of them fall.....I thought of people in Fla who go through hurricane force winds and storm surges...and just stay there for the next one.  Not for me.  I heard there was another tropical storm forming and was terrified. Fortunately now they say it will not hit the US.  I could not live in Fla.

RE: My storm update - Hobbit99 - 10-01-2024

(10-01-2024, 01:52 PM)Ladypanther Wrote:
(10-01-2024, 01:16 PM)Hobbit99 Wrote: Yourock Thumbsup Clap3

That's so nice Hobs!! 

I do have a lot to be thankful for.

After sitting through hours of tropical force winds and watching the trees outside, hearing some of them fall.....I thought of people in Fla who go through hurricane force winds and storm surges...and just stay there for the next one.  Not for me.  I heard there was another tropical storm forming and was terrified. Fortunately now they say it will not hit the US.  I could not live in Fla.

I actually lived in Florida back when I wore a younger man's clothes. Gulf coast -- Englewood. I was constantly looking over my shoulder. Between storms and the "red tide" i had enough. i've been back, but I don't think I have the 'constitution' to live down there again.

I looked at the storm map. It looks like the storm hit your area pretty hard. SMH.. Pretty unusual for a hurricane to travel that far inland and retain that amount of force. Maybe it's just you, experiencing another "first".  You didn't have a "storm" of any kind on your bucket-list did you..??
Tongue

RE: My storm update - Ladypanther - 10-05-2024

Still no powet at my house. They pulled all the extra help to go west. Only local guys now. Afraid this will take a while.

Can get back into my driveway..Have to park dow the (steep) hill. Guy was supposed to be here at 7am to install a drain pipe and repair. At 630 texted said it would be later today. I am a bit stressed.
Positives 1) found a source for ice 2) Water now "drinkable". Looks dingy though. I'll stay with bottled for now. The dogs can have it 3) And most importantly It am not in Asheville or other mountain towns.

Helicopters flying over constantly.

On another very sad note ...the son of a good friend of mine who lives in Durham was rear ended by a cement truck. He is in Duke hospital and is brain dead. My god....so.much tragedy. He was a computer guy who was climbing the ladder at Lenovo. He was also a big Panther fan.

I don't think anything will ever be normal again.

I might start back at the Y for the warm shower and the functioning hair dryer ( I look.like sht....lol) I need to start exercising again anyway.

RE: My storm update - Josh21 - 10-05-2024

Bless u lp. Praying for u guys out there. Glad u got water n ice. Dogs ok is a good step.

Terrible bout the son n Durham. Seriously bless u.

RE: My storm update - Ladypanther - 10-06-2024

Power back on YAY

Thanks Josh.

RE: My storm update - Hobbit99 - 10-06-2024

(10-06-2024, 06:24 PM)Ladypanther Wrote: Power back on YAY

Thanks Josh.

THAT is good news.!!  Thumbsup

Driveway repair completed..???  Can you drive to your house yet.??

RE: My storm update - Ladypanther - 10-06-2024

Yes, it was done this morning.

RE: My storm update - Josh21 - 10-06-2024

Nice! Hopefully almost normal.