Panthersfanz Forums
QB DISCUSSION TIME--WHAT TO DO--WHAT'S NEXT..?? - Printable Version

+- Panthersfanz Forums (https://panthersfanz.com/board)
+-- Forum: Carolina Panthers Fanz Forum (https://panthersfanz.com/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Carolina Panthers Talk (https://panthersfanz.com/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: QB DISCUSSION TIME--WHAT TO DO--WHAT'S NEXT..?? (/showthread.php?tid=521)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: QB DISCUSSION TIME--WHAT TO DO--WHAT'S NEXT..?? - Hobbit99 - 03-25-2022

(03-24-2022, 06:43 PM)PantherFan007 Wrote:
(03-24-2022, 06:17 AM)Hobbit99 Wrote: It looks like Rhule visited all three of the Pro Days this week. I know he was at Pickett's, Willis',and Corral's. I don't know if there are any more this week or not.

If I am not mistaken, Matt Rhule is the only head coach to attend all three's Pro Days.

Could be correct....

The one QB I'm really interested in seeing (or..) hearing about is Carson Strong out of Nevada. He's looking now to be a 2nd to 3rd round pick. Supposed to have the best live arm in the draft. Because of some injury stuff, he has been shuttled downward in the draft class. Somewhat less mobile than some of the others... (Injuries..??). He will probably be a backup in the beginning and move to a QB1 with a year or two of work. He apparently had an arthroscopic knee done and played all last year with a brace. Didn't have a lot of "drive off of his right leg but still completed over 70% of his passes for over 4100 yards. He could be a terrific QB in a year or two with some more recovery and rehab. Looks to have a lot of upside if he stays healthy.

RE: QB DISCUSSION TIME--WHAT TO DO--WHAT'S NEXT..?? - Hobbit99 - 03-27-2022

There is some interesting commentary around these days surrounding the Panthers and their QB 'situation'. Without trading for another (different..) veteran, of which there is little to choose, there is only the potential draftees to look at. The questioning begins by asking if Rhule is mortgaging the teams future for the present. One has to ask also if the fans REALLY care about the future or are they just screaming to hear themselves holler.?? What is the "smart" move.??

According to Fitterer, Sam Darnold is "in the lead" right now, but the Panthers are looking to "add to the room". Lately there have been a couple of sage responses to the 'Draft a QB at any cost' pundits. They seem to think that ANY QB from anywhere is better than Darnold. Which thinking is of course REALLY stupid.!!

Here are a couple of articles looking at the ongoing situation and the currently offered "fixes" for the Panthers QB issues. NOTE, these guys are NOT advocating for drafting someone "just because..".  They seem to think the best course of action might be......
Well, you need to read these articles (BOTH of them..).

1) Panthers Wire:  Orlovsky: Darnold..?? Or Draftee??

2) Panthers Wire:  Rizzuti quotes Damien Woody: NO Rookie Better Than Darnold

RE: QB DISCUSSION TIME--WHAT TO DO--WHAT'S NEXT..?? - BlackCatzFan - 04-06-2022

Look… this may be unpopular opinion, but there are two QBs that I feel are going to be steals. Matt Corral, and wait for it…. Sam Howell. Sam Howell lost all of his talent, and still had a really good season last year, albeit at the risk of losing draft stock. I think he’s way better than Pickett, who was a one hit wonder. Howell and Corral both can make all the throws. I’m not big on Willis, honestly not because of him, but because he pigeon holes us into the RPO offense. ONCE he’s older, and can’t run as much, is he a true QB1? We tried that and were left wanting.

RE: QB DISCUSSION TIME--WHAT TO DO--WHAT'S NEXT..?? - Hobbit99 - 04-07-2022

(04-06-2022, 09:42 PM)BlackCatzFan Wrote: Look… this may be unpopular opinion, but there are two QBs that I feel are going to be steals.  Matt Corral, and wait for it…. Sam Howell.  Sam Howell lost all of his talent, and still had a really good season last year, albeit at the risk of losing draft stock.  I think he’s way better than Pickett, who was a one hit wonder.  Howell and Corral both can make all the throws.  I’m not big on Willis, honestly not because of him, but because he pigeon holes us into the RPO offense.  ONCE he’s older, and can’t run as much, is he a true QB1?  We tried that and were left wanting.

AGREED.... This is exactly what I referred to earlier when I said I wanted a more "conventional" QB. Sure, the "flash" QBs look great .... for a minute or two. We had one. Cam, as good as he was, had no momentum to last even through his FIRST contract renewal. He was essentially finished after the 2017 season as a QB1. His good years were early in his career when he struck terror into opposing defenses.  Since then it's been DOWN....DOWN....down.  Without the strength and run threat he quickly faded into obscurity.

I would like a QB who CAN move, but is not driven to make a spectacle of himself. Big, Strong, and Quietly Efficient. Not afraid to take on opposing defenses and capable of making good decisions. You know, like Tom Brady, or Aaron Rogers, or even Ben Roethlisberger (GULP..!!). There are some others as well who are quietly capable and are building a great career......like Matt Ryan and Matthew Stafford and even new guys like Justin Herbert and Josh Allen.  You don't have to play "dodgeball" and run around like your ass is on fire.  Good, solid quarterbacks can be quietly efficient.....

RE: QB DISCUSSION TIME--WHAT TO DO--WHAT'S NEXT..?? - BlackCatzFan - 04-07-2022

I think Sam Howell has a great chance to be one of those guys. His poise is really good in the pocket, and he gives you a lot of options. Trade back, grab an OL, then Sam Howell with 2nd pick.

RE: QB DISCUSSION TIME--WHAT TO DO--WHAT'S NEXT..?? - Hobbit99 - 04-08-2022

(04-07-2022, 08:56 PM)BlackCatzFan Wrote: I think Sam Howell has a great chance to be one of those guys.  His poise is really good in the pocket, and he gives you a lot of options.  Trade back, grab an OL, then Sam Howell with 2nd pick.

The scenario you describe is pretty much my "choice" for this year as well. I am not completely hung up on Howell, or ANY of this year's QBs for that matter, but the process you describe would be just about perfect I think. I would love for us to pick up a couple of picks in the process. Say....hmm... a 2nd and a 3rd.???  If we can pull it off, I wouldn't be averse to taking a real long look at Nevada's QB, Carson Strong. Any QB who can pull off what he did last year....coming back from a bad knee injury and surgery, playing injured in a brace, and still completing 70% of his throws for more than 4100 yards, 36 touchdowns and only 8 ints....He deserves a long look.
BIG arm (I think the best in this year's group..) and tremendous drive and discipline. Have to root for this guy...

RE: QB DISCUSSION TIME--WHAT TO DO--WHAT'S NEXT..?? - Josh21 - 04-09-2022

I really don’t want a qb at 6. If we trade way back maybe in round 2. I’m not sold on the top 3. Wilis may b great. That’s it. Like the top 3 t’s. Even a de if they fall. If top 3 t’s go we might get out. If somebody’s jonesing for a qb, so b it. I want one of those t’s. Neal, eckwonu, n cross. Penning later in the 1st

RE: QB DISCUSSION TIME--WHAT TO DO--WHAT'S NEXT..?? - Hobbit99 - 04-10-2022

(04-09-2022, 11:50 PM)Josh21 Wrote: I really don’t want a qb at 6.  If we trade way back maybe in round 2.  I’m not sold on the top 3.  Wilis may b great.  That’s it.  Like the top 3 t’s.  Even a de if they fall.  If top 3 t’s go we might get out.  If somebody’s jonesing for a qb, so b it.  I want one of those t’s.  Neal, eckwonu, n cross.  Penning later in the 1st

Agreed... 
I think Penning may go higher than folks believe.  As I've said several times, I am NOT in favor of any of these QBs this year as a 1st round pick.  However... I DO believe that QBs will be taken 1st round. I AM in favor of trading back this year...IF POSSIBLE.
If we can trade back, get at least two picks (a 2nd and a 3rd..), then our draft will be immeasurably better, no matter who we pick. I want an OT (preferably a LT..), and a DE/Edge Rusher. Other than that..... I want the best available on the board. IF we pick a QB....then I want it LATER in the 1st, or the 2nd, OR the 3rd. NOT high in the 1st.!!!!!

Of course, I have no illusions that anyone cares what I think. They are supposed to know a lot more than I do.

RE: QB DISCUSSION TIME--WHAT TO DO--WHAT'S NEXT..?? - coffee - 04-11-2022

Not a fan of using:
#6 to reach for a QB in a "bad" QB class

in order to replace:
#3 pick from a "good" QB class

I hope we stick it out with Darnold unless some Watson/Wilson/Rodgers type situation pops up. I'd rather fix the team around him. Make this team look like the Bucs with Winston-just a QB away- so that it would actually be appealing to a QB to come here.

RE: QB DISCUSSION TIME--WHAT TO DO--WHAT'S NEXT..?? - Hobbit99 - 04-11-2022

(04-11-2022, 12:35 PM)coffee Wrote: Not a fan of using:
#6 to reach for a QB in a "bad" QB class

in order to replace:
#3 pick from a "good" QB class

I hope we stick it out with Darnold unless some Watson/Wilson/Rodgers type situation pops up.  I'd rather fix the team around him.  Make this team look like the Bucs with Winston-just a QB away- so that it would actually be appealing to a QB to come here.

Hey Coffee... Good to have you back.!! Stick around and contribute. Always liked what you had to say.!!

You are 100 % correct. Drafting a QB from this class at #6 is a fool's errand. Especially if you are looking for someone to play effectively this year.... A REAL reach. Besides that, we truly haven't given Darnold a real chance yet. Just looking at performance over his first four years----- Darnold has never played in more than 12 games in any of his first four years. Too beat up like last year. Every year has been like that. 
And since when do you bring in a NEW QB to a NEW team with a NEW playbook, and NEW coaches, and a NEW scheme....in the middle of a COVID epidemic, break his collarbone, and get sacked close to 35 times per year (in 12 games.!!!).  AND then complain because he didn't lead us to the promised land after being injured and playing in 12 games..?????

REALLY.???  Is that how we think.??? EVERY player deserves a real chance. More than parts of 12 games with an injury riddled offense.!!!  SERIOUSLY.!!

NOT saying that Darnold is the answer. Maybe not.!! But you have to give him a chance to play -- UNINJURED -- with some protection -- and a complement of UNINJURED skill position players around him.  Then, who knows. We'll see.!!