Panthersfanz Forums
Reich to hand over playcalling - Printable Version

+- Panthersfanz Forums (https://panthersfanz.com/board)
+-- Forum: Carolina Panthers Fanz Forum (https://panthersfanz.com/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Carolina Panthers Talk (https://panthersfanz.com/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Reich to hand over playcalling (/showthread.php?tid=1215)

Pages: 1 2

Reich to hand over playcalling - BlackCatzFan - 10-16-2023

IMHO I believe this was always the plan by the bye.  Seems to make sense. 

https://www.nfl.com/news/panthers-head-coach-frank-reich-hands-over-play-calling-duties-to-offensive-coor

RE: Reich to hand over playcalling - Ladypanther - 10-16-2023

The way Reich has been talking I expected him to hold onto that duty longer. He said he loves it. I have to wonder about getting some pressure from Tepper to give up play calling. Mind you, that is pure speculation on my part. There has been a lot of talk lately about Tepper being an involved owner...many thinking too involved. Beyond that...maybe Reich has had too much on his plate...did not know Theilen was not in on a play...forgot about Marshall for an entire game, and taking way too long to get plays in. Too many balls snapped with about 1/2 a sec left. I will say I was impressed that the Panthers did not have to take a TO to avoid a delay of game penalty against Miami. (At least I don't think they did.)

Don't know if this is the answer but it would be great to see Brown inject some life into the offense.

RE: Reich to hand over playcalling - Hobbit99 - 10-16-2023

Nice catch, BCF.!! 

Finally, some news that is not "hyperbole".  Almost everything up to this point has had a "hype" undercurrent to it. This is a welcome change as far as I am concerned. I have been openly critical of the Offensive play-calling over the past 2-3 weeks. I am not stupid enough to believe that everything is going to pivot on a dime here, but it can't get much worse (IMHO..).

It will be interesting to see how the "scheme" changes (IF it does..) with Brown calling plays. I feel certain that Reich will still have his hands on the mic switch, even as he hands over the controls to Brown.  We need some variation in 1st and 2nd down play-calling. Maybe this will help some.

Huh

RE: Reich to hand over playcalling - Firstchance - 10-16-2023

I will remain hopeful that this will bring a little creativity and of course greater results. However, realistically hope is just that hope. It doesn’t make Bryce 4 or 5 inches taller, doesn’t increase his strength, doesn’t automatically make him more elusive and it doesn’t improve his down field accuracy. So I guess you can tell that I don’t think our issues trail back to play calling but rather to execution. However, I will remain hopeful. At this point it can’t be worse, right. (( I thought the NFL was all about parity but the last I looked we were the only winless team))

Guys and gals, I hope that I am WRONG in my (long standing) opinion of Bryce. While I really do think he is a very nice, sincere and articulate young man, you all know my feelings about him as a NFL qb. Please please please be wrong (again) First!

RE: Reich to hand over playcalling - Hobbit99 - 10-16-2023

(10-16-2023, 06:23 PM)Firstchance Wrote: I will remain hopeful  that this will bring a little creativity and of course greater results. However, realistically hope is just that hope. It doesn’t make Bryce 4 or 5 inches taller, doesn’t increase his strength, doesn’t automatically make him more elusive and it doesn’t improve his down field accuracy. So I guess you can tell that I don’t think our issues trail back to play calling but rather to execution. However, I will remain hopeful.  At this point it can’t be worse, right.  (( I thought the NFL was all about parity but the last I looked we were the only winless team))

Guys and gals, I hope that I am WRONG in my (long standing) opinion of Bryce. While I really do think he is a very nice, sincere and articulate young man, you all know my feelings about him as a NFL qb. Please please please be wrong (again) First!

Hey First...

We are not far apart on a lot of things. So, I agree with a lot of this. I will contend however, that our Offensive play-calling is crap on 1st & 2nd down (mostly). We can't fool anyone by always running the ball on 1st and 2nd down straight up the gut. We need variation. Go play-action; Run outside the Tackles; Use RPO; Sprint out; and YES, drop-back passes too. Use screens and Jet sweeps. Do SOMETHING that the OPFOR is not expecting. It doesn't always have to be "...two yards and a cloud of dust" -- or WORSE, forcing the RB to try to run "over" his O-Line. 

When they are "stacking the box", do something different.  The height of stupidity is doing the same thing over and over, and expecting different results.

RE: Reich to hand over playcalling - Firstchance - 10-16-2023

Hey Hobbit. Good to have the conversation on the site!

Just a little fyi, and I have not looked at prior games but yesterday we had 11 possessions and on 10 of those 11 we had pass plays, or attempted pass play ie sacks, on either first down, second down or both. On other first downs we had pass plays on 12 of 16 I drive possessions on first down second down or both. Of course keep in mind that toward the end of the game being behind as we were pass plays stand out.

I will say and possibly it seems different because so many of those passes are not down the field and I think 3 of those 4 sacks were on first or second down. I’m thinking we have so many of those short passes directly relating to Young’s ability but I could be wrong. The OLine was not good yesterday and seems to be digressing as we continue forward, possibly injury related but early on this year the OLine looked great.

Any ways, the change is coming. However, I will go out on a limb and predict that if Young is the QB I wouldn’t be surprised to see play calling become even more conservative.

Footnote: hope the figures are accurate I went by the CBS gametracker for the results.

RE: Reich to hand over playcalling - Ladypanther - 10-16-2023

I am definitely not a football mind...just a fan. I like to read and learn from smart football people.

My take on the offense. There are some good players almost none of whom are playing up to their talent. For a team with a rookie QB, a lot of new players, and a new scheme...did they just make things too complicated? Frank has talked about simplifying things for Bryce...maybe for others too. No receiver other than Theilen can get open. Why? I watch other teams...I think there are some flaws in the scheme/concepts/routes. And...where is Hurst?? You would usually think that a good TE is a young QB's best friend. What the heck is going on there?

I have read some interesting analysis on the Oline...how this year the offense changed to a zone blocking scheme...which some say does not fit the players we have. I know we have had injuries but guys who were playing well at the last part of last season are looking bad this year.

Not sure how much Brown can change as a new play caller. Not sure how much the staff can change during the bye week. If they self scout...there should be a lot of things that are obvious. This is supposed to be a very experienced smart staff. We will find out how much football street smarts they have.

Bryce needs to get the ball out quickly but he also need receivers to be open. The opposing D needs to worry about the run game and the long ball. Less calculus and more energy before the snap.

Good luck Coach Brown.

RE: Reich to hand over playcalling - Josh21 - 10-16-2023

Good observation lady panther. I’ll respond tomorrow, but great points.

Great analysis.

RE: Reich to hand over playcalling - OceanPanther - 10-17-2023

Well ,, we have a bye week. Thomas Brown will have an extra week to prepare for a rookie Qb. We eat rookie QB's alive. ( that's what all teams say that are about to face the Panthers, SO WE WILL EAT THE KID STROUD ALIVE !!!) .
I truly think a change in the air will help remotivate both sides of the line. Maybe some players will get healthier .

RE: Reich to hand over playcalling - PantherFan007 - 10-17-2023

Reich said if somebody is going to get fired over the poor Offense, it ain't gonna be him lol Tongue But, I'm glad to see the change. Could it be any worse??