Panthersfanz Forums
PANTHERS HOSTING TWO WRs FOR "VISITS" -- GALLUP - WILLIAMS - Printable Version

+- Panthersfanz Forums (https://panthersfanz.com/board)
+-- Forum: Carolina Panthers Fanz Forum (https://panthersfanz.com/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Carolina Panthers Talk (https://panthersfanz.com/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: PANTHERS HOSTING TWO WRs FOR "VISITS" -- GALLUP - WILLIAMS (/showthread.php?tid=1406)

Pages: 1 2

PANTHERS HOSTING TWO WRs FOR "VISITS" -- GALLUP - WILLIAMS - Hobbit99 - 03-17-2024

Latest word on the street has the Panthers hosting two more WRs for a "visit" sometime next week. 

WR Michael Gallup, formerly with the Dallas Cowboys, is on the docket. Gallup was drafted by the Cowboys in 2018 and was playing well before he tore his ACL in Week 17 in 2021. Since then he has slumped quite a bit. Since coming back from the injury, he has played in 31 games with 73 catches for 842 yds and 6 TDs.

PANTHERS WIRE:  Panthers Visiting With WR Michael Gallup

WR Mike Williams, formerly with the LA Chargers, is scheduled next week as well. Williams was drafted in the 1st round, #7 Overall in 2017 by the Chargers. He's had some injury concerns... In his first seven years, Williams has 309 receptions, 4806 yards, and 31 TDs. He sat out most of last year, after the first three games, with a torn ACL. He was released last week by the Chargers in a "cost-cutting" move.

PANTHERS WIRE:  WR Mike Williams (Chargers) To Visit With The Panthers

RE: PANTHERS HOSTING TWO WRs FOR "VISITS" -- GALLUP - WILLIAMS - Ladypanther - 03-18-2024

Injury history and cost would concern me about both of those.

RE: PANTHERS HOSTING TWO WRs FOR "VISITS" -- GALLUP - WILLIAMS - Hobbit99 - 03-18-2024

(03-18-2024, 10:07 AM)Ladypanther Wrote: Injury history and cost would concern me about both of those.

AGREED..... I'm sure the injuries played a big part in their availability this year. Gallup's injury (ACL) to his left knee was at the end of the 2021 season. He played "some" after recovery from surgery in 2022, but then underwent additional arthroscopic surgery on his right knee and ankle at the end of the season in February 2023. Last year was largely unproductive for whatever reason --- Mostly playing opposite CeeDee Lamb and sharing time with other WRs who had moved up the ladder during his injury recovery. He's a good receiver with good speed when he's healthy, which should be the case now.....  Cowboys Discuss Gallup's Injuries

Mike Williams has a more recent injury history. Williams has the bigger following and historically is a higher-level WR. Lots of talk about Mike Williams, BUT he is in the middle of an ACL recovery from an injury last year. There will be questions about the effectiveness of the surgery, how quickly he recovers, the effect on his "game", and whether he will be ready to go this season -- and if so, WHEN..??
Mike Williams - Post Surgery Availability

Given a full recovery, Williams will be a better prospect, but the level of his post-surgery ability is unknown. Gallup has had a bit more time and has had some "contact" since his major surgery, so his effectiveness is easier to gauge. So.... Michael Gallup would be a "SAFER" bet. Mike Williams would be more of a gamble, but with more potential "UPSIDE".

IMHO --  Big Grin

RE: PANTHERS HOSTING TWO WRs FOR "VISITS" -- GALLUP - WILLIAMS - Firstchance - 03-19-2024

(03-18-2024, 10:07 AM)Ladypanther Wrote: Injury history and cost would concern me about both of those.

Ditto

When is a good time to start discussing, with the 33rd pick in the 2024 draft the Carolina Panthers select ? (Or maybe you think this pick gets traded)

RE: PANTHERS HOSTING TWO WRs FOR "VISITS" -- GALLUP - WILLIAMS - PantherFan007 - 03-19-2024

Mike WIlliams is off the market. He just signed with the Jets.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39766844/source-jets-adding-ex-chargers-wr-mike-williams

RE: PANTHERS HOSTING TWO WRs FOR "VISITS" -- GALLUP - WILLIAMS - Hobbit99 - 03-19-2024

(03-19-2024, 04:30 PM)PantherFan007 Wrote: Mike WIlliams is off the market.  He just signed with the Jets.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39766844/source-jets-adding-ex-chargers-wr-mike-williams

Interesting... I wonder when (IF..) he'll be ready to play. ACLs would seem to be hard on a WR..??

So, with Williams and Chase Young off of "the list" That would leave Clowney and Gallup still available ... IF we decide to make another move in FA for an Edge guy and/or a WR...  Of course, there are others available, but those two have "visited" here.

(03-19-2024, 02:15 PM)Firstchance Wrote:

Ditto

When is a good time to start discussing, with the 33rd pick in the 2024 draft the Carolina Panthers select ? (Or maybe you think this pick gets traded)

Ahhh, The Draft. Such an innocuous name .... with such far-reaching implications.

I guess the 'time' is approaching.  Although, I would contend that it's a pretty useless endeavor right now, considering that FA is still very much in play.  We have 5+ weeks before the "Draft". It's going to take another ten days or two weeks before FA settles down, and THAT, more than anything else, could, might, will affect our draft board. Maybe a significant effect at that...
Huh

I don't know brother.... If you want to start a Draft thread, I'll follow along.

RE: PANTHERS HOSTING TWO WRs FOR "VISITS" -- GALLUP - WILLIAMS - Firstchance - 03-19-2024

We bluffed everyone and just signed David Moore.

RE: PANTHERS HOSTING TWO WRs FOR "VISITS" -- GALLUP - WILLIAMS - Hobbit99 - 03-19-2024

(03-19-2024, 06:27 PM)Firstchance Wrote: We bluffed everyone and just signed David Moore.

Yeah... I just saw that. !!  LOL

RE: PANTHERS HOSTING TWO WRs FOR "VISITS" -- GALLUP - WILLIAMS - PantherFan007 - 03-19-2024

(03-19-2024, 06:27 PM)Firstchance Wrote: We bluffed everyone and just signed David Moore.

Isn't he too old to play by now?  Same David Moore that used to play here?

(03-19-2024, 07:32 PM)PantherFan007 Wrote:

Isn't he too old to play by now?  Same David Moore that used to play here?

He came here in 2021.  Drafted in 2017...  He should be about 28-29 Y.O.