Panthersfanz Forums
Fun But Meaningless (at this point) Stats - Printable Version

+- Panthersfanz Forums (https://panthersfanz.com/board)
+-- Forum: Carolina Panthers Fanz Forum (https://panthersfanz.com/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Carolina Panthers Talk (https://panthersfanz.com/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Fun But Meaningless (at this point) Stats (/showthread.php?tid=414)

Fun But Meaningless (at this point) Stats - coffee - 09-23-2021

It's too early to do this and there's a ton of "yeah, but . . ."s.

But screw it!

After 2 games, the '85 Bears D had allowed . . .

35 points.  We've allowed 21.
27 1st downs.  Us: 22
513 total yards. Us: 380
     320 pass yards.  Us: 287
     193 rush yards.  Us: 93

They had 8 sacks.  We've had 10.

To be continued . . .

RE: Fun But Meaningless (at this point) Stats - PantherFan007 - 09-23-2021

Fbwow
Fblaugh
Worship

RE: Fun But Meaningless (at this point) Stats - coffee - 09-23-2021

Tough losses this game. On the bright side, if Dallas scores 38 points on us and gets 760 total yards, we'll STILL be ahead of the '85 Bears.

RE: Fun But Meaningless (at this point) Stats - Josh21 - 09-23-2021

Careful coffee… once was enough. We are good defensively. Real good. Don’t get to far ahead. We have yet to play a consistently good o. Heaven help us.

We are gonna b missing cmc, horn, n maybe burris.

RE: Fun But Meaningless (at this point) Stats - coffee - 09-24-2021

I know. Quite frustrated about last night's game (or rather the injuries). Hoping our D will still be able to keep us in games for as long as CMC is gone and I don't think it's fair to the team to hold back praise like this when I feel they've earned it no matter who it was against.

RE: Fun But Meaningless (at this point) Stats - Josh21 - 09-26-2021

It is coffee. I hope our d stands firm.

Not to brag, but our defense is the league best right now!

RE: Fun But Meaningless (at this point) Stats - Josh21 - 09-26-2021

What I mean coffee, is we should praise this d. I personally get worried about anything we do well, due to history. Always waiting on the other shoe to drop. Glad we are playing d well!

RE: Fun But Meaningless (at this point) Stats - coffee - 09-27-2021

I certainly understand! We've been let down plenty of times before and this looks like a prime candidate for being an illusion.

Of course there is also the slight possibility that they MAKE it real. I think the stats are definitely inflated due to who we've faced, but I also think these kind of starts often trigger a team to overperform. Most, if not all, of our best seasons started with some kind of magic that seemed to propel the team forward.

EX 1: Jake's 1st game
EX 2: 2008 game 1 magic last second TD against the Chargers
EX 3: Josh Norman's highlight reel interception in the endzone to secure the win over the Saints

Each of those seasons, I feel we had a few things fall our way combined with a few spectacular plays and it caused those teams to go drastically further than they would have otherwise. I also think missing the FG to lose against Denver in Game 1 of 2016 had enough of the opposite effect that it basically screwed that season. Same with one flat performance and losing Smitty in the 1st game of 2004.

So, while I recognize that we are not the elite team that stats say at the moment, I do have the hope that these inflated stats propel us further than we would've gone.

RE: Fun But Meaningless (at this point) Stats - Josh21 - 09-30-2021

Well taken.