Panthersfanz Forums
QB DISCUSSION TIME--WHAT TO DO--WHAT'S NEXT..?? - Printable Version

+- Panthersfanz Forums (https://panthersfanz.com/board)
+-- Forum: Carolina Panthers Fanz Forum (https://panthersfanz.com/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Carolina Panthers Talk (https://panthersfanz.com/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: QB DISCUSSION TIME--WHAT TO DO--WHAT'S NEXT..?? (/showthread.php?tid=521)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

QB DISCUSSION TIME--WHAT TO DO--WHAT'S NEXT..?? - Hobbit99 - 03-21-2022

WELL... It's that time of the year. With the QB shuffle taking place all over the league and the draft coming up, this seems like the appropriate time to talk about QBs. So, just looking at the NFC South, we have Brady coming back out of retirement to join the Bucs. NO Saints have a QB quagmire without Brees and losing out on Watson. Latest information says they are trying/willing to get Winston back after alienating him over the Watson deal. Stand by for the latest....  Then we have Atlanta who also went after Watson and lost out on that as well. BUT... they also lose their #1 QB, Matt Ryan, who has now left for a more welcome climate. Ryan is reportedly traded to the Colts for a 3rd round pick this year. And of course the Panthers who have Darnold under contract for one more year.

So that leaves all four teams "looking" for the future. The Bucs have Brady but really...for how long.?? He's NOT going to go forever (although it seems like it...). The Saints are apparently now back to Jameis Winston---for now.?? We'll see about that. The Falcons have no #1 QB right now...Who knows what that means.?? And the Panthers have Darnold...

Sounds like a division in turmoil.!!!  So, how is all of this going to shape up.?? Here's what I think:

The Bucs hold fast with Brady and keep a VERY watchful eye open for his heir apparent.
The Falcons MUST find a QB somewhere. If they don't trade for one or pick up a FA, THEN look for them to draft one this year.
The Saints hold fast with Winston while on their knees praying for a good outcome (good passing yardage with LOW interceptions..)
The Panthers will field Darnold and hope for a break-out year. I think he has a decent chance to make it. 

I also think the Panthers will continue to pursue QBs....Maybe a FA, maybe in the draft.  ¿Quien Sabe?

OK... Your turn.  CoolDance

RE: QB DISCUSSION TIME--WHAT TO DO--WHAT'S NEXT..?? - PantherFan007 - 03-21-2022

I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but I honestly don't think Darnold could break out a window of his car if it was in a pond sinking. But that's just me. He has done zero to give me warm and fuzzies. Three games at the beginning of the season is certainly nothing to base a career on, especially if you have stunk the place up the preceding three years. I guess I'm just "Ye of little faith". I'm "just saying" Bag

RE: QB DISCUSSION TIME--WHAT TO DO--WHAT'S NEXT..?? - PantherFan007 - 03-21-2022

And I know this isn't a popular opinion, but if Kenny PIcket is available and they pass on him, regardless of the "worth at that pick", they will regret it for years to come, and so will we.

I'm "thinking" we could trade back as far as #15 and still possibly get Pickett, but I'd hate to bet the bank on it.

RE: QB DISCUSSION TIME--WHAT TO DO--WHAT'S NEXT..?? - Josh21 - 03-21-2022

As far as I’m concerned I’ll pass at qb at 6. Trade back. Please let us get a few more picks. A lt at 6 sounds ok, but do we want that one? Who falls. Neal, ekwonu, a edge (bigger than 250), or trade back. More picks.

RE: QB DISCUSSION TIME--WHAT TO DO--WHAT'S NEXT..?? - Hobbit99 - 03-22-2022

I think a lot will depend on the rest of Free Agency. IF the Panthers make a deal and pick up the Seattle LT, Duane Brown, then all bets on the #6 pick are OFF.!!  If we don't get a Tackle in FA, then we probably draft one. Maybe at #6, maybe not. If we DO get a Tackle, then I EXPECT us to trade back aways. How far??  Good question. Depends on what is on offer. My gut feeling is we do some sort of a deal, then trade back at least once, maybe twice. Then draft best player available.....maybe a QB, maybe not. If we can't get Ekwonu, then I'm all in on Penning. If we wait later, there are several more Tackles that would bolster our line.  I'm particularly interested in Faalele. He's huge, 6'8" & 385-390. He moves good for a big man. Would need some "seasoning", but we have some other guys available.

QBs this year are a gamble IMHO..... Pickett is probably the most "ready", and I realize that Tepper is a Pitt supporter. Not certain what that means, but... Anyway, I'm not too enthused about drafting ANY QB this year.

****WELL---IT"S OFFICIAL****

The Falcons have signed Marcus Mariota. He was MY choice of the remaining Free Agents. I was sort of hoping we would get him... Oh well..!!

So that probably takes Atlanta out of the QB scramble. At least initially. They may still draft someone, but I wouldn't count on it.  So, I think this changes the look of the QB market in the 1st round.

RE: QB DISCUSSION TIME--WHAT TO DO--WHAT'S NEXT..?? - PantherFan007 - 03-22-2022

And all this scramble for quarterbacks prior to the draft underscores that there are no early first-round quarterbacks available. Later in the first definitely, but I think there is enough demand for early picks that we could potentially move back eight or ten positions but still get a quality pick and a couple of extra players.

(03-22-2022, 04:38 AM)PantherFan007 Wrote: And all this scramble for quarterbacks prior to the draft underscores that there are no early first-round quarterbacks available.  Later in the first definitely, but I think there is enough demand for early picks that we could potentially move back eight or ten positions but still get a quality pick and a couple of extra players.

Agreed... I think maybe as far back as 18-24. Might be able to pick up a 2nd AND a 3rd.!!

RE: QB DISCUSSION TIME--WHAT TO DO--WHAT'S NEXT..?? - Josh21 - 03-22-2022

I am smitten with Willis’s ceiling/personality after his pro day. Fave qb in this years draft.

Look at his calves! He seems to run only when it’s pretty open. Not at six, but later, if he lasts.

(03-22-2022, 06:26 PM)Josh21 Wrote: I am smitten with Willis’s ceiling/personality after his pro day.  Fave qb in this years draft.

Yeah.... I like the kid too. But personality is one thing, pro-ready is something else.
He is another run-threat QB, no doubt about it. But like our other one, C N, they don't typically last too long. I'm ready for a more conventional QB, or at least one who knows what "the pocket" IS--and hopefully what it's used for.

I don't know. I just can't get enthused about this years QBs....

RE: QB DISCUSSION TIME--WHAT TO DO--WHAT'S NEXT..?? - Josh21 - 03-22-2022

I understand. Not 6th, but get him later? I bet somebody trades up, I hope with us.