Panthersfanz Forums
STEVE WILKS TO INTERVIEW FOR '49ers DC POSITION - Printable Version

+- Panthersfanz Forums (https://panthersfanz.com/board)
+-- Forum: Carolina Panthers Fanz Forum (https://panthersfanz.com/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Carolina Panthers Talk (https://panthersfanz.com/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: STEVE WILKS TO INTERVIEW FOR '49ers DC POSITION (/showthread.php?tid=833)

STEVE WILKS TO INTERVIEW FOR '49ers DC POSITION - PantherFan007 - 02-03-2023

The '49ers have asked Steve Wilks to come in to be interviewed for the position of Defensive Coordinator.  Best wishes to him and all the best in the future (except when they play us) 

NFL NOW | Ian Rapoport BREAKING 49ers interview Steve Wilks to hire for Defensive Coordinator job - YouTube

RE: STEVE WILKS TO INTERVIEW FOR '49ers DC POSITION - Josh21 - 02-05-2023

Hope the best for Wilkes.

RE: STEVE WILKS TO INTERVIEW FOR '49ers DC POSITION - Firstchance - 02-05-2023

I like Wilks a lot as a person, based strictly on what I have seen. However., his record as a defensive coordinator is not that great, in many locations. Really had one good year in that position. His strengths so to speak appear to be more in the secondary area. Again, I like the man.  But I wouldn’t read anything into it if he didn’t get the job… nor if he did. I hope his future endeavors are successful ones, whatever they may be.

RE: STEVE WILKS TO INTERVIEW FOR '49ers DC POSITION - PantherFan007 - 02-06-2023

(02-05-2023, 12:24 PM)Firstchance Wrote: I like Wilks a lot as a person, based strictly on what I have seen. However., his record as a defensive coordinator is not that great. Really on one good year in that position. His strengths so to speak appear to be more in the secondary area. Again, I like the man.  But I would read anything into it if he didn’t get the job… nor if he did. I hope his future endeavors are successful ones, whatever they may be.

And honestly, just like Gruden in Tampa, Wilks inherited a pretty darned good offense when McDermott left.

RE: STEVE WILKS TO INTERVIEW FOR '49ers DC POSITION - BlackCatzFan - 02-06-2023

(02-06-2023, 10:03 AM)PantherFan007 Wrote:
(02-05-2023, 12:24 PM)Firstchance Wrote: I like Wilks a lot as a person, based strictly on what I have seen. However., his record as a defensive coordinator is not that great. Really on one good year in that position. His strengths so to speak appear to be more in the secondary area. Again, I like the man.  But I would read anything into it if he didn’t get the job… nor if he did. I hope his future endeavors are successful ones, whatever they may be.

And honestly, just like Gruden in Tampa, Wilks inherited a pretty darned good offense when McDermott left.

That’s been my whole argument about Wilks all along.  I believe he is a leader, but his ability to “build a defense” is still unproven.  McDermott built our defense that he ran for a year, then became a HC.  Phil Snow built our current defense, Wilks has inherited strong units.  He’ll do great in SF if he gets the job there, similar style defense.  But it’s one he inherits.  Honestly, kind of like DeMeco Ryans did- however Ryans had that defense MOVING.

RE: STEVE WILKS TO INTERVIEW FOR '49ers DC POSITION - BlackCatzFan - 02-08-2023

Update: he’s been hired. Good for him!

RE: STEVE WILKS TO INTERVIEW FOR '49ers DC POSITION - PantherFan007 - 02-08-2023

(02-08-2023, 07:44 AM)BlackCatzFan Wrote: Update:  he’s been hired.  Good for him!

Yep, the 49ers got him.  Best wishes, Coach Wilkes!