Panthersfanz Forums
STUPIDesr trade ever. - Printable Version

+- Panthersfanz Forums (https://panthersfanz.com/board)
+-- Forum: Carolina Panthers Fanz Forum (https://panthersfanz.com/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Carolina Panthers Talk (https://panthersfanz.com/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: STUPIDesr trade ever. (/showthread.php?tid=897)

Pages: 1 2 3

STUPIDesr trade ever. - Firstchance - 03-10-2023

I can’t even discuss it now, so pissed

According to multiple reports, the Panthers will send the Bears the ninth overall pick in this year's draft, the late second-rounder acquired from the 49ers (61st overall), along with next year's first-round pick, a 2025 second-rounder, and wide receiver DJ Moore to get to the No. 1 overall choice in this year's draft. The deal won't be official until the start of the league year next Wednesday.

RE: STUPIDesr trade ever. - BlackCatzFan - 03-10-2023

I actually like the trade. Honestly, we give up ONE first round pick(next year) and 2 2nds and Moore for the QB of the future.

RE: STUPIDesr trade ever. - Josh21 - 03-10-2023

I just wonder who will the new qb throw n hand off to. I’m torn right now.

(03-10-2023, 07:15 PM)Josh21 Wrote: I just wonder who will the new qb throw n hand off to.  I’m torn right now.

Well, we had no one to throw the ball.. now we have the pick of who we want.  Stroud is that guy.

RE: STUPIDesr trade ever. - Josh21 - 03-10-2023

(03-10-2023, 07:17 PM)BlackCatzFan Wrote:
(03-10-2023, 07:15 PM)Josh21 Wrote: I just wonder who will the new qb throw n hand off to.  I’m torn right now.

Well, we had no one to throw the ball.. now we have the pick of who we want.  Stroud is that guy.

I know, but fa just got WAY more important.  We haven’t hit on our 2nd round picks, but it’s Fitterer not Hurney.

RE: STUPIDesr trade ever. - Hobbit99 - 03-10-2023

I totally understand First's reaction. At first glance, I thought much the same way.

However, I'm starting to think it through and I believe I understand the team thinking here. I'm not completely enthralled, but....... 

It IS a lot to think about.  ALSO... It's not definite. Nothing is set in stone at this point. Wednesday will be the start of the new league year. Everything becomes official then.  I'm going to think on this some more.

There are a lot of possibilities here. Let's take a few minutes and think about this.  It's not clear to me yet, but I believe that Fitterer and Reich have something planned.

Huh

RE: STUPIDesr trade ever. - PantherFan007 - 03-10-2023

I honestly was shocked, but I do like the trade. Here's why. We moved from #9 to #1 overall. That's our choice of who and what we want to pick, before anybody else gets a chance, we get our pick of the litter right out of the gate.

A few days ago I watched a video and they were talking about the Colts wouldn't have to pay as much as the Panthers because they were only moving up four spots rather than nine, and talked about what a huge disparity it was between 4 and 9.

They broke it down that, in order to get the Bears to be willing to move all the way to #9, the Panthers would have to trade a first and second round pick this year, and a first round pick thru 2025, but several second and third round picks in between.

In all honesty, we aren't giving up but ONE first round pick to move up. How's that? Simple. We keep a 1st rounder this year, it's the 1st overall pick. We trade one of the CMC picks in the 2nd round this year, but we still have an earlier 2nd rounder. Next year we give up our 1st round pick. Year after next, we give up our 2nd round pick, wherever that spot might land. And, DJ Moore has been a trade rumor all last season, even before CMC.

That having been said, IF the Panthers pick any other quarterback than CJ Stroud, they missed the mark. I like WIll Levis, but he's not the #1 overall pick of the Draft. He's just not.

And there is still time for more trades to take place. We could "FEASIBLY" still trade the #1 overall pick to go back to #4 or later and pick up a buttload of picks lol (But I don't see that happening)

RE: STUPIDesr trade ever. - Firstchance - 03-10-2023

(03-10-2023, 07:10 PM)BlackCatzFan Wrote: I actually like the trade.  Honestly, we give up ONE first round pick(next year) and 2 2nds and Moore for the QB of the future.

Two first round picks!

(03-10-2023, 08:19 PM)Firstchance Wrote:
(03-10-2023, 07:10 PM)BlackCatzFan Wrote: I actually like the trade.  Honestly, we give up ONE first round pick(next year) and 2 2nds and Moore for the QB of the future.

Two first round picks! But we get one in return. It’s the second rounders and DJ that gets me. For… and I know it’s just my opinion… a weak QB class. The ONLY thing that could make it worse would be if it is YOUNG. 

There has to be something else in the works. Right? Please say yes.

Two first round picks!

Two first round picks! But we get one in return. It’s the second rounders and DJ that gets me. For… and I know it’s just my opinion… a weak QB class. The ONLY thing that could make it worse would be if it is YOUNG. 

There has to be something else in the works. Right? Please say yes.
I was telling 007 the same thing on the phone, I feel that it would be a huge whiff if it were Young.

RE: STUPIDesr trade ever. - Hobbit99 - 03-10-2023

As I said earlier, I was surprised and understand the furor this will set off amongst the fans and some 'talking heads'. Bond, James Bond covered a lot of it, but a few thoughts here.

I'm actually liking the trade a LOT more than my first glance. We all knew that Fitts was going all in. He told us he was. So, no surprise there. If you think about it--- The only way we draft a high-quality QB is from near the TOP of the board (usually..). Yes, I know there are a FEW successful QBs come out of later rounds or lower draft positions, but the operative word there is "FEW". In order to be 'assured', if that's even possible, of getting a true NFL starting QB is to draft high in the 1st round. So this move takes care of that.

So, what did we actually give up.??  Well..... we gave up a 1st round pick (1) next year, a late 2nd rounder this year, and a 2nd in the future (2025)...AND DJ Moore.

Make no mistake about it. DJ Moore is the only real loss here. How do you measure his value..??  Well, like McCaffrey before him, all players have value. Some have more value to other teams. That is where Moore landed. A receiver has NO value without a QB. AND, there are a LOT more quality WRs in this league than there are QBs....A LOT more. A WR is a LOT easier to replace than a QB....that is the bottom line.

As far as the picks go....let's think about it for a minute. Looking forward, this was probably the ONLY year we could afford moving up to that position. With any luck, we will win a division this coming year, or at least a wildcard. That will put us in the 20s draft position next year. So...How do you move up from the 20s to near the top..???? Almost impossible. And every time we have even a moderately successful year, we have LOW draft picks. So what are the chances of moving up then..??  You have to have something to trade. Something with 'value' to the high draft position teams. Honestly, I think this year was probably our only opportunity to draft this high. If we don't move up this year, we won't have that opportunity again for awhile. At least as fans, we hope that's true.

And as Bond, James Bond mentioned.... There is always the possibility we now trade back a spot or two and still get "our guy". That would make it even better. Remember, this still has to be signed and sealed on Wednesday. Until then....???

Last thing to remember. If this happens, and I believe it will...... The Panthers control their own destiny (short term..)----BECAUSE they will control the 1st round draft board.....and maybe some other spots as well.

OH....AND the future picks we gave up. Who knows about them.??  My guess is they will be picks down the list somewhere probably in the 20s or thereabouts.. Yes, they have value. But probably not "high pick" value. Not like top 10 value...or 33-42 value.  Remember there is a lot of difference between picking at #1 and picking at #26...OR picking at #33 versus picking at #58.  That's a LOT of players under the bridge (If you'll excuse the mixed metaphor..).