Started by PantherFan007

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

4 posts in this topic
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,157 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
06-28-2023, 10:14 AM -
So tragic.  My prayers are with his family and NFL friends.

https://www.nfl.com/news/former-nfl-qb-r...-age-of-35

Former NFL quarterback Ryan Mallett, who played for the New England Patriots, Houston Texans and Baltimore Ravens, drowned in Florida, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Tuesday. Mallett was 35.

Mallett, identified initially as a tourist, drowned offshore of Gulf Shore Drive in Destin, Florida, according to the Okaloosa Sheriff's Department. Per the sheriff's department, a group of individuals were struggling in the waters when Mallett went under. He was not breathing when lifeguards pulled him out and lifesaving measures were unsuccessful.

"The New England Patriots are deeply saddened to learn of the sudden and unexpected passing of former quarterback Ryan Mallett," the team said in a statement. "Our thoughts are with the Mallett family, his former teammates and all who are mourning his loss."

A third-round pick of the New England Patriots in the 2011 NFL Draft, Mallett was with the Pats through the 2013 season before he was traded to the Texans. He wrapped up his career with the Ravens from 2015-2017. Across his NFL career, Mallett played in 21 games, going 3-5 as a starter and compiling 1,835 passing yards, nine touchdown passes and 10 interceptions.

Mallett began his college playing career at Michigan before he transferred to Arkansas, starring with the Razorbacks in back-to-back 30-TD seasons.

He was taken 74th overall in the 2011 draft, as he was seen by some as a potential first-rounder but fell to the Patriots in the third round, where he would back up Tom Brady in 2012 and 2013.

Mallett was traded from the Patriots to the Texans ahead of the 2014 season. He started six games over a season-plus with Houston, his first career start coming against the Cleveland Browns on Nov. 16, 2014. Mallett quarterbacked Houston to a 23-7 win, his first career TD pass memorably going to defensive end J.J. Watt on a 2-yard score.
Firstchance

715 posts 81 threads Joined: Dec 2019
06-28-2023, 05:18 PM -
Sad. Prayers for the family.

I actually got to watch him play when he was with the Texans and they traveled here. He was definitely a big ole boy.
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,157 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
06-29-2023, 09:31 AM -
(06-28-2023, 05:18 PM)Firstchance Wrote: Sad. Prayers for the family.

I actually got to watch him play when he was with the Texans and they traveled here. He was definitely a big ole boy.

I heard on the World News last night that 10 people had drowned in Florida this week due to rip currents.  I grew up at the beach and understand rip currents all too well.  Those who do not understand (and some who do) can easily be dragged under and out to sea.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,764 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
06-29-2023, 06:17 PM -
(06-29-2023, 09:31 AM)PantherFan007 Wrote:
(06-28-2023, 05:18 PM)Firstchance Wrote: Sad. Prayers for the family.

I heard on the World News last night that 10 people had drowned in Florida this week due to rip currents.  I grew up at the beach and understand rip currents all too well.  Those who do not understand (and some who do) can easily be dragged under and out to sea.

TRUTH…

I almost didn’t get to graduate high school. Weekend after Senior Prom, four of us travelled to Newport Beach for some fun. (California). Body surfing with the red flags flying. Got caught in a rip… But for the grace of God, I wouldn’t be here today. No lifeguards, no one could hear me. About 15 min later I CRAWLED out of the surf, gagging and spewing, sick as a dog, collapsed there where a friend found me a few minutes later and got me some help. Rip tides are no joke.
"A Reasoned Response From A Reasonable Mind"
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,764 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
06-30-2023, 09:12 AM -
UPDATE...

Recent information from the area around where Mallett drowned indicates that "dangerous rip tides (currents..)" were not thought to be present at the time of the accident. Conditions at the time were not particularly hazardous according to local sources. So, at least in this case, 'rip currents' are not thought to be a factor.

BLEACHER REPORT:  Ryan Mallett's Death -- Rip Currents NOT A Factor
"A Reasoned Response From A Reasonable Mind"