Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

7 posts in this topic
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,158 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
08-25-2023, 05:07 AM -
GO PANTHERS!!

Hoping to see the coaching staff, especially the offense, open up the playbook a bit more this week.  Bryce (and the entire O-Line) need all of the work they can get before regular season Week 1.

KICKOFF IS AT 8 P.M. TONIGHT ON CBS!!!
Josh21
Posting Freak

1,194 posts 63 threads Joined: Dec 2019
08-25-2023, 06:32 PM -
Go fellas!
Josh21
Posting Freak

08-25-2023, 10:05 PM -
We did ok. Happy with the first o.
Firstchance

716 posts 81 threads Joined: Dec 2019
08-26-2023, 06:33 AM -
I thought Bryce was pretty decent against their 2’s. My only criticism was that he was locked in on his first read the whole time but that could have came specifically from the coaching staff???

Ricky Lee III, whoever he is, outplayed Icky. Houston we have an issue at LT. Icky has zero quickness to his left… it showed all last year and frankly has not been able to be corrected to this date. Still hope but that, again, didn’t look good. He does well in run blocking and against the bull rush but his left movement is limited at best.

CJ Henderson, didn’t have a bad night, he had a horrible night. I hop his prior body of work and special team contributions help him not to be cut as last night was brutal.

Thielen not only looks the part but plays the part and plays with toughness. Our best pickup in quite some time.

Eli Leota may have made the squad last night, he was all over the place, sideline to sideline and always in pursuit.

Spencer Brown won’t make our regular squad but maybe has played his way onto another’s teams.

O line looked more polished with the exception on Icky.

Just my thoughts on things that stood out.
PantherFan007
Administrator

08-26-2023, 04:30 PM -
Bryce looked pretty good, in my opinion, he didn't hide anything with his eyes or head movements, but once he checked down, he had a very quick (and accurate) release. I personally thought he did better than Andy Dalton with the exception of Dalton's verbal commands at the line of scrimmage. I wasn't surprised to see Jake Luton cut, but it would still not surprise me to see them move Matt Corral over the next two weeks.

You don't think Spencer Brown will make the roster? I was thinking he solidified himself last night. I might be wrong, but he was about the star of the show last night.

And yeah, Icky has NOT impressed me since the middle of last season. This preseason didn't give me reason to question that opinion.
This post was last modified: 08-26-2023, 04:34 PM by PantherFan007.
PantherFan007
Administrator

08-26-2023, 04:41 PM -
(08-26-2023, 06:33 AM)Firstchance Wrote: Ricky Lee III, whoever he is, outplayed Icky. 

This guy.  Yeah, he had a solid game for an UFA.

Ricky Lee (panthers.com)
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,769 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
08-27-2023, 12:03 PM -
Interesting game.....

So, Bryce Young.... Better this time. It remains to be seen how he will show against first line defenders. Almost every team was slow-rolling their Offenses and Defenses this past week. You can bet everyone will be waiting for a chance to bust up the Panthers party. The Falcons will get the first opportunity. And then the Saints will take up the challenge. First two weeks of the season, and two Division rivals. We BETTER be ready. Seriously.!! 

One thing I noticed (and I hope I'm wrong) was that neither Young nor Dalton were really "ready" to play. Having lots of "snaps" against your own guys just doesn't get it done. Practice is good, don't get me wrong. It's just that there were no "headhunters" grinning at you or bearing down on you just waiting for any opportunity to make you eat a little dirt. It will be an altogether different mentality come game time.  'Hide and Watch'.

Last thing. Ikem Ekwonu. 1st round pick last year. My choice, I admit it. I was happy with the pick. He started off very slowly last year. His Pass-pro was abysmal early last year, gradually getting a little better as the season got close to the mid-point. Now this year... I am NOT impressed. There is no doubt that he is a VERY capable LT in run situations, just like last year. I've said it several times here (and elsewhere). Ekwonu has lazy feet. It's best described as the difference between being PRO-active and RE-active. As a run-blocker he has a definite assignment (PRO-active). Get on your guy and block ahead in a certain direction. Move your guy in a certain way to open a hole and protect the runner going toward a certain spot. Pretty cut and dry.... In passing situations, it's different. You have a job, but it's completely dependent on what the opposing defense does. You have to be REactive. Be aware. Observe. React to the Defense and block however necessary to counter your man and protect the QB. You have to be ready to counter any move and any player. And therein lies the problem.... Ekwonu has lazy feet. He doesn't react. Not with any sense of urgency.  I keep hoping he'll get better. PLEASE...
Praying
"A Reasoned Response From A Reasonable Mind"
Josh21
Posting Freak

08-27-2023, 07:07 PM -
I worry bout our swing t n t depth. It’s not m Jordan. Cam is iffy. I believe dj derenzo did well.