Started by Hobbit99

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

5 posts in this topic
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,769 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
08-29-2023, 03:24 PM -
The final cuts are here (at least for now..). The Panthers are at the 53 cut line and it's just now past the 4:00 PM deadline...

Panthers Make Cuts To Get Down To 53

CHARLOTTE — The Panthers wrapped up the initial 53-man roster Tuesday afternoon by parting ways with three more players to get to the limit.
The team terminated the contracts of vested veteran offensive tackle Cam Erving, cornerback Greg Mabin, and defensive tackle Taylor Stallworth. All three were on the practice field and participating Tuesday afternoon.

The 31-year-old Erving started nine games here in 2021 and transitioned into a backup role last season with the arrival of first-rounder Ikem Ekwonu. Erving played in 11 games here as a reserve last season.

Mabin and Stallworth signed with the team in June.

Those moves, along with the first wave reported Tuesday morning, get them to the regular season limit. They can establish a practice squad on Wednesday.
This post was last modified: 08-29-2023, 03:26 PM by Hobbit99.
"A Reasoned Response From A Reasonable Mind"
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,158 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
08-29-2023, 06:19 PM -
No real surprises here I guess. Erving was a great veteran presence, but his on the field abilities have been going downhill for the past several years. I hate anyone having to lose their job, but hopefully if they are talented enough, they will get picked up by another team in at least a backup role.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

08-30-2023, 01:30 PM -
(08-29-2023, 06:19 PM)PantherFan007 Wrote: No real surprises here I guess.  Erving was a great veteran presence, but his on the field abilities have been going downhill for the past several years.  I hate anyone having to lose their job, but hopefully if they are talented enough, they will get picked up by another team in at least a backup role.

Yeah.... I don't know.  Cameron Erving was a good "swing" tackle. He could play either side and frequently did. He lost the starting job, but still was a solid backup at a difficult position. I mean, I understand the vagaries of NFL football and position battles. But I'm still not certain that cutting him was a good idea.

Looking at the roster, we're down to three OTs....and one of them is a true rookie with NO experience and a UDFA to boot. We have a couple of guys who could step in and switch positions maybe... I don't know. SMH....I'm concerned, that is for certain.
Firstchance

716 posts 81 threads Joined: Dec 2019
08-30-2023, 03:21 PM -
J.D. DiRenzo I guess he is the guy at tackle….Bryce is one lucky guy.
This post was last modified: 08-30-2023, 03:27 PM by Firstchance.
Firstchance

716 posts 81 threads Joined: Dec 2019
08-31-2023, 10:21 AM -
I realize it is over a week until the first game and changes can certainly take place. With that said and it’s been mentioned this roster as it stands leaves much to be desired in my mind. I would expect a minimum of at least three more moves to the 53 to be made within the next week. I don’t care how much you love TE’s. 5 don’t make sense.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

08-31-2023, 02:08 PM -
(08-31-2023, 10:21 AM)Firstchance Wrote: I realize it is over a week until the first game and changes can certainly take place. With that said and it’s been mentioned this roster as it stands leaves much to be desired in my mind. I would expect a minimum of at least three more moves to the 53 to be made within the next week. I don’t care how much you love TE’s. 5 don’t make sense.

AGREED... But I don't call Ricci a TE. He's really just a hardcore ST guy and a "power" RB.
And now.... We hear that Stephen Sullivan has been moved to IR.

So, that means we now have just three (REAL) TEs on the roster. That solves THAT problem......  Plus, it leaves the roster at 52, so room to add one more.

Also, still have to finish out the PS...
This post was last modified: 08-31-2023, 02:11 PM by Hobbit99.