Welcome to Panthersfanz.com LadyPanther and Jon Snow
Started by PantherFan007

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

13 posts in this topic
BlackCatzFan

370 posts 43 threads Joined: Dec 2019
10-15-2023, 04:58 PM -
Interestingly enough, I exclusively use mobile on this site, maybe because I haven’t used many others., I don’t find it an issue. Plus I’ve done it for a while
Josh21
Posting Freak

1,194 posts 63 threads Joined: Dec 2019
10-15-2023, 05:06 PM -
I’m mobile only as well. Just gotta enlarge then click.

I have no computer. Just phone.
This post was last modified: 10-15-2023, 05:07 PM by Josh21.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,769 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
10-16-2023, 08:11 AM -
(10-13-2023, 03:10 PM)Jon Snow Wrote: Thank you! I think I will sit at the bar for a while and read the room.

This sit is not mobile friendly I must say.

(10-15-2023, 04:58 PM)BlackCatzFan Wrote: Interestingly enough, I exclusively use mobile on this site, maybe because I haven’t used many others., I don’t find it an issue.  Plus I’ve done it for a while

(10-15-2023, 05:06 PM)Josh21 Wrote: I’m mobile only as well.  Just gotta enlarge then click.

I have no computer.  Just phone.

This is an interesting topic....

I understand what Jon Snow is saying.... I have been around many, MANY forums over the last 30+ years. Currently, I use a Mac and an iPhone on THIS forum.  It is measurably easier to navigate here with a computer. This is NOT a reflection on the forum, more a comment on technology. Some years back, maybe 15 years or so, when 'super' phones were in their infancy, almost all web-sites were designed like this. The front end was optimized for PCs because that is what almost everyone used. As phones became more popular and more capable, "Smart Phones" and the resultant technology became a prime mover on the Internet. So, today, we have a LOT of folks who use 'Smart Phones' almost exclusively like BCF and Josh.

Unfortunately, a lot of the web sites are still not optimized for these mobile devices. So, what's the difference.??  Well, think about an "APP" on your phone. These 'apps' have a UI (User Interface) that allows you to scroll or slide left and right as well as up and down. They have little 'buttons' and active spots and 'tabs' that change pages and views. The screen orientation switches from 'portrait' to 'landscape' when you rotate your phone. All of these things allow mobile users better and quicker access on 'smart-phone' type devices. 

I remember maybe 15-20 years or (???) back when certain select web sites had technology that allowed the UI to "morph" depending on how the user logged in. If you were on a mobile device, you could select "mobile" and the UI would switch to a more 'accommodating' version. These "front-ends" have disappeared. So currently, you are pretty much locked in to whatever the software designer has deemed acceptable to the majority of users.

Forum technology has not changed too much. I'm sure Mr. Bond (007) could enlighten us better, but this ^ is pretty much what I have experienced. I probably split my time here about 75-25 in favor of the iMac. I have a relatively new iPhone and it works okay here. Like Josh said, you just have to 'manipulate' the stuff a little.... but SOME of it is a little obtuse. In particular, editing posts is strange until you've done it a couple thousand times. Certain things are not available in the same way as on the computer front-end. 

So, to Jon Snow, you're right, The interface is not optimized for mobile use, but most forums are like this (in MY experience..). This forum works fine, but is measurably better on a computer. That's why I typically use my iMac instead of my phone.  Like on THIS post.!!!

Bag Tongue
This post was last modified: 10-16-2023, 08:15 AM by Hobbit99.
"A Reasoned Response From A Reasonable Mind"
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,158 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
10-16-2023, 08:29 AM -
(10-13-2023, 03:10 PM)Jon Snow Wrote: Thank you! I think I will sit at the bar for a while and read the room.

This sit is not mobile friendly I must say.

Thanks for bringing that to my attention.  There are some options I can look into when I am not at work