GIVEN ALL THE FREE AGENCY MOVES........ What of the Draft?
Started by PantherFan007

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

4 posts in this topic
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,156 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
03-23-2024, 11:00 PM -
I was thinking about the overall veracity of our Free Agency this off season, and it slowly dawned on me that they are putting a lot of necessary pieces together in free agency that will take the pressure off the draft, allowing us to pick more towards skill level than position need.  

We have always been told the Panthers "always" draft the best player available, but that, in reality at least, is not true.  They have skipped many excellent players in the draft to pick some favorite of somebody or a scout whoever, etc, who ended up not working out for the long haul.  

Given that the get at least *most* of the NEED positions filled in free agency and believe they have what the need in order to compete on Sundays, it frees up a whole lot of decisions come draft day.  

Thoughts?
This post was last modified: 03-23-2024, 11:01 PM by PantherFan007.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,763 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
03-24-2024, 11:58 AM -
I will contend that every draft is different for every team. What a team does this draft may very well be anathema next year. EVERY team builds a draft Big Board. This board does NOT list players like the Big Boards on the Web do. Instead, each team's board lists players how the TEAM would rank them at that particular moment.  So each team's board is going to be significantly different depending on the 'minds' involved in the ranking and the perceived direction the team intends to take in pursuit of the "Golden Biscuit".

So, any team that says they are drafting "best player available" is either outright lying, OR, they are just intentionally misleading everyone. Why.??  Because each team board does not represent a consensus across the league. It represents what each team thinks separately and independently from every other team.  A team that has a Lamar Jackson or a Patrick Mahomes, or Josh Allen is most probably NOT going to draft a rookie QB at #1. Even though that QB may be the "best player available" across the league, a lot of teams may not have him on their board at all, ... because they don't need him right now.

So, this means the Panthers will draft by NEED this year, ..... just like every other year. Their draft board will be shaped by position and need. They might (and SHOULD) draft the BPA within a position of need. But make no mistake, they won't draft a player where they have no need, no matter how good they are. On draft day, faced with their board showing players at WR, OLB, and CB, they'll scratch their head and ask the question: Which one do we NEED most.???

What you said is true though... Good FA decisions will definitely make things "easier" on draft day.....
"A Reasoned Response From A Reasonable Mind"
BlackCatzFan

370 posts 43 threads Joined: Dec 2019
03-27-2024, 02:44 PM -
Two players I’d love to see in round 2? Payton Wilson, Xavier Lagette
OceanPanther

106 posts 11 threads Joined: Mar 2020
03-29-2024, 11:05 AM -
I'm thinking more and more we'll go wide reciever. With that said, if there's a run on WR's , we might go best player available .

I'm reading and hearing more and more it might be Xavier Lagette.. With that said lol.. I'd like our pick to not be from the national media lol..

33 picks into the draft, Who knows who'll be available.
Ladypanther

481 posts 77 threads Joined: Oct 2023
03-29-2024, 11:21 AM -
(03-29-2024, 11:05 AM)OceanPanther Wrote: I'm thinking more and more we'll go wide reciever.  With that said,  if there's a run on WR's ,  we might go best player available .

I'm reading and hearing more and more it might be Xavier Lagette..    With that said lol..  I'd like our pick to not be from the national media lol.. 

33 picks into the draft,  Who knows who'll be available.

Good that they will be able to make adjustments to their board overnight...as well as entertain offers. All drafts are important but this one especially so IMO.  From the moves so far I don't think Morgan will pay any attention to media hype.  Just have to hope he has Tepper under control.