Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

8 posts in this topic
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,158 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
06-12-2024, 03:20 PM -
Dude gives one helluva interview!

This post was last modified: 06-12-2024, 03:27 PM by PantherFan007.
Ladypanther

481 posts 77 threads Joined: Oct 2023
06-12-2024, 05:34 PM -
I am drinking the kool aid. This guy comes in prepared.  Knows that he is talking about..talks footfall specifics, and is confident.  He seems to have a plan for everything...really impressive for a 1st time HC.  He talks about every position with details that you make you think he played it. What a breath of fresh air he must be for the players that were here last year.

Interesting how much he likes Chubba and Tremble.  He has even said nice things about Ian.  (Who does that?)

I know, like everyone else....I am kind of afraid to believe and be hopeful.
Josh21
Posting Freak

1,194 posts 63 threads Joined: Dec 2019
06-12-2024, 09:50 PM -
That man oozes confidence. I hope the o goes mid pac. Could see a path to better. Upper thoughts top 15. That would b remarkable!

Quot that, “oozes confidence”. He does. Very impressed. Hope the football is good!
This post was last modified: 06-12-2024, 09:52 PM by Josh21.
PantherFan007
Administrator

06-13-2024, 05:00 AM -
He even mentioned that Terrace Marshall, Jr had shown out some during mini-camp. I was glad to hear that because I'm still on the bandwagon with TMJ, even though Tremble is probably my favorite of the two, as much for his personality as his playing ability.
Josh21
Posting Freak

1,194 posts 63 threads Joined: Dec 2019
06-13-2024, 10:36 PM -
I will hold my praise until he speaks after a loss. That will tell how we get better. We WILL lose some, no way around it.

Wanna see Dave handle that the first time. We lose. Will tell a lot about him.

(06-13-2024, 05:00 AM)PantherFan007 Wrote: He even mentioned that Terrace Marshall, Jr had shown out some during mini-camp.  I was glad to hear that because I'm still on the bandwagon with TMJ, even though Tremble is probably my favorite of the two, as much for his personality as his playing ability.

Didn’t mention Mingo, interesting.
This post was last modified: 06-13-2024, 10:41 PM by Josh21.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,769 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
06-14-2024, 09:49 AM -
Canales is an interesting study. There is no doubt that he knows something about offensive football. But with only one year as a Coordinator, and no HC experience, I'm not sure that he is truly prepared for the "slings and arrows of outrageous fortune" (as Willie S was known to say..). that the NFL is sure to present.

Unlike most "businesses", the NFL is terribly unforgiving as players and agents and NFLPA all "pile on".... and Ownership and FANS show precious little willingness to allow a team to settle in and develop. Canales had better be ready. The "fickle finger of fate" is preparing an introduction that will require a deft hand.

There is no shortage of opinion surrounding Canales. Right now he is riding high, but as has been proven many times, what goes up must come down. There is a vocal minority out there who are equally adamant that Canales is riding for a fall; that this Panthers experiment is doomed and will come crashing down as soon as it faces a strong OPFOR (Opposing Force..).

The truth is somewhere in the middle (most likely..). With thirty-two teams all playing under the same rules, constrained by the same realities of roster number, CAP dollars, and player availability, the natural tendency is for teams to float around a median, providing a sense of parity across the league. With a few teams residing near the top, and a few teams near the bottom, the majority of teams live in the middle, where they join "The Great Unwashed" struggling to cross the boundary into the next higher zone.  Canales' job is to move the Panthers UP into a more 'rarefied' atmosphere. Unfortunately, the higher you climb the harder it gets. The living conditions are colder, the breathing is tougher. There is a lot less room near the top than there is near the middle or the bottom. The higher you climb, the more teams are below you trying to pull you back down to the median. The first few rungs on that ladder will be relatively easy. The climb from 32 up to 30, then 29, 27, 25...?? can be accomplished in one season. As you climb higher on that ladder, differentiation becomes more subtle. It's not going to happen in one or even two years (probably). A temporary incursion, jumping up fifteen spots, COULD happen to a team, but they would be unlikely to remain there or to continue their climb without a proper foundation. And foundations, like the base of any pyramid, is where all of the heavy lifting occurs.

I believe in Canales. But I also believe that it will not come easy. He has a lot of work to do and a  L O N G learning curve in front of him. If all of the planets align, and the FANS don't crucify him, he has a good chance to prove his mettle and move the Panthers up toward the "pie in the sky".

We need to keep our fingers crossed for luck against serious injuries, and for player development. AND, we need to temper our expectations.
"A Reasoned Response From A Reasonable Mind"
PantherFan007
Administrator

06-14-2024, 10:00 AM -
(06-14-2024, 09:49 AM)Hobbit99 Wrote: Canales is an interesting study. There is no doubt that he knows something about offensive football. But with only one year as a Coordinator, and no HC experience, I'm not sure that he is truly prepared for the "slings and arrows of outrageous fortune" (as Willie S was known to say..). that the NFL is sure to present.

Unlike most "businesses", the NFL is terribly unforgiving as players and agents and NFLPA all "pile on".... and Ownership and FANS show precious little willingness to allow a team to settle in and develop. Canales had better be ready. The "fickle finger of fate" is preparing an introduction that will require a deft hand.

There is no shortage of opinion surrounding Canales. Right now he is riding high, but as has been proven many times, what goes up must come down. There is a vocal minority out there who are equally adamant that Canales is riding for a fall; that this Panthers experiment is doomed and will come crashing down as soon as it faces a strong OPFOR (Opposing Force..).

The truth is somewhere in the middle (most likely..). With thirty-two teams all playing under the same rules, constrained by the same realities of roster number, CAP dollars, and player availability, the natural tendency is for teams to float around a median, providing a sense of parity across the league. With a few teams residing near the top, and a few teams near the bottom, the majority of teams live in the middle, where they join "The Great Unwashed" struggling to cross the boundary into the next higher zone.  Canales' job is to move the Panthers UP into a more 'rarefied' atmosphere. Unfortunately, the higher you climb the harder it gets. The living conditions are colder, the breathing is tougher. There is a lot less room near the top than there is near the middle or the bottom. The higher you climb, the more teams are below you trying to pull you back down to the median. The first few rungs on that ladder will be relatively easy. The climb from 32 up to 30, then 29, 27, 25...?? can be accomplished in one season. As you climb higher on that ladder, differentiation becomes more subtle. It's not going to happen in one or even two years (probably). A temporary incursion, jumping up fifteen spots, COULD happen to a team, but they would be unlikely to remain there or to continue their climb without a proper foundation. And foundations, like the base of any pyramid, is where all of the heavy lifting occurs.

I believe in Canales. But I also believe that it will not come easy. He has a lot of work to do and a  L O N G learning curve in front of him. If all of the planets align, and the FANS don't crucify him, he has a good chance to prove his mettle and move the Panthers up toward the "pie in the sky".

We need to keep our fingers crossed for luck against serious injuries, and for player development. AND, we need to temper our expectations.

With his eagerness and enthusiasm, I'm willing to let him give it a try.  Players are already talking about how much they like him and what a "fresh attitude" he brings into the building and on the field.

I'd rather have a brand new car that I'd have to learn all over again, than an old worn out car that stays broke down all the time. 

He has surrounded himself but a good cast of characters, and a lot of times just the environment in the building and on the field means everything.

It's touch to work for a coach that you have zero faith in, or one who is to stubborn or stuck in his ways to think outside the box.

Give the new guy a try, I say :)
PantherFan007
Administrator

06-14-2024, 10:01 AM -
If we win 8 or 9 games this season, what a sigh of relief it would be :)
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,769 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
06-14-2024, 12:15 PM -
(06-14-2024, 10:00 AM)PantherFan007 Wrote: With his eagerness and enthusiasm, I'm willing to let him give it a try.  Absolutely.!! No choice in this matter anyway... 
Players are already talking about how much they like him and what a "fresh attitude" he brings into the building and on the field.  Nothing wrong with this. Fresh & New = ??? Unknown difference. But a HC has a job to do... and being a "friend" is NOT part of that job.

I'd rather have a brand new car that I'd have to learn all over again, than an old worn out car that stays broke down all the time.  If this is the only choice...OK.  But how about a car that's a couple of years old, well maintained, no major problems, drives great, and you know it's little foibles. There's a lot to be said for familiarity, with the "break-in" stuff completed.

He has surrounded himself but a good cast of characters, and a lot of times just the environment in the building and on the field means everything. Absolutely.  But as we have seen over the last few years, what is seen as a good "cast of characters" is not necessarily true. 'Perception' and 'reality' can make disparate bedfellows.

It's touch to work for a coach that you have zero faith in, or one who is to stubborn or stuck in his ways to think outside the box.  Again, correct.!!  A HC's 'relatability' is different from 'friendliness'. Getting your point across and commanding respect are core principles. Thinking "outside the box" can be a mixed bag. It's great as long as that first step 'outside the box' doesn't constitute a 'leap of faith' and a long fall... when you suddenly discover that the "box" you are now outside of is suspended fifty feet in the air without a safety net.

Give the new guy a try, I say :)  --- YUP.!!  As I said, we really have no choice in that matter anyway.  AND, I believe that Canales will be okay once he gets his feet wet and learns when and where to exercise restraint and when to "damn the torpedoes".
(06-14-2024, 10:01 AM)PantherFan007 Wrote: If we win 8 or 9 games this season, what a sigh of relief it would be :)

TRUTH. I'm on record here several places talking about what I consider a "success. Considering where we are currently, a "successful season" would be a winning season.  And it may not happen this year. As long as we are advancing rather than retreating, I'll be okay with it...
This post was last modified: 06-14-2024, 12:18 PM by Hobbit99.
"A Reasoned Response From A Reasonable Mind"