Started by Hobbit99

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

4 posts in this topic
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

3,001 posts 559 threads Joined: Dec 2019
07-29-2024, 01:29 PM -
As Canales reported in his presser, Sam Franklin was injured on Saturday inside the stadium. He has a broken foot and will be out for awhile. No word yet on the severity, other than it's a devastating loss to our ST unit. Sam Franklin Jr. has been recognized as one of best, if not THE best, ST player in the league. As Canales said..."You can't replace Sam Franklin..."

What a huge loss for the Panthers....

https://www.panthers.com/news/camp-obser...roken-foot

Quote:CHARLOTTE — The Panthers suffered their first big injury blow of training camp, and it's an absence that will be felt in a number of areas.

Head coach Dave Canales said that safety and special teams star Sam Franklin Jr. suffered a broken foot during the Back Together Saturday practice inside Bank of America Stadium.

It's a significant injury, but Canales said the hope was that Franklin would be able to return at some point during the regular season.
"That's a huge hit for us," Canales said. "He's a fantastic spirited guy, really the leader of the special teams unit and as someone that we're really going to count on. So, we've got to make sure we hit this rehab the right way, and Sam will come back to us at the right time."

Beyond his multiple roles on special teams (including instigator), he has started nine games in his career and made impact plays on defense, including last year's 99-yard interception return for a touchdown against the Vikings.

Canales mentioned a number of players who could step into special teams void Franklin leaves, including the inside linebacker and safety room, along with cornerbacks D'Shawn Jamison and Dicaprio Bootle and running back Mike Boone. Outside linebacker Amaré Barno's another one who can help replace him at gunner on the punt team, but he's still on the physically unable to perform list after last year's knee injury.

"You can't replace Sam Franklin, but this is a great opportunity for guys to step up," Canales said. "There's guys that can find a role for themselves on special teams. And really, that's a great way to make the 53, is to make an impact in these practices first. And then, of course, as we hit preseason opportunities, to be able to step up in that role.

"But, Sam certainly is a special player, not just from an ability standpoint and the impact he makes, but also just his juice, his personality, he's one of my guys. It's like every day, it's just this great opportunity, and he loves being out there. He loves playing ball, so, a big loss there, but definitely looking for some guys to step up in terms of the play."

— The Panthers had another worrisome looking injury during practice, as wide receiver Daewood Davis had to be carted off after getting tangled up with a teammate during 1-on-1 drills. Canales said he was being evaluated for a thigh injury, and he didn't have more of an update.

Right guard Damien Lewis was a bystander during the second half of practice, as he was limited with some shoulder soreness. Canales said it was about monitoring his workload. They used Chandler Zavala with the first group in his absence.

Linebacker Shaq Thompson (illness) was also held out, and tight end Tommy Tremble (hamstring) remained sidelined and came out midway through practice with the guys on the PUP list.
"A Reasoned Response From A Reasonable Mind"
Ladypanther

611 posts 115 threads Joined: Oct 2023
07-29-2024, 05:42 PM -
Oh damn...sucks for him and the team.  Hope it is a good recovery for him.
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,299 posts 742 threads Joined: Dec 2019
07-30-2024, 08:25 AM -
He's been solid on special teams, and even good when playing Defense during times when his number was called. Wishing him all the best for a speedy recovery!
Firstchance
Posting Freak

756 posts 84 threads Joined: Dec 2019
07-30-2024, 02:40 PM -
I hate this for Sam and wish him a full and speedy recovery.

Now you never know the details of what one means BUT I would rather have a coach preaching the next man up has an opportunity and needs to get his job done … instead of saying he can’t be replaced. If people can’t be replaced let’s pack our bags and just go home….there will be more injuries.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

3,001 posts 559 threads Joined: Dec 2019
07-30-2024, 08:19 PM -
(07-30-2024, 02:40 PM)Firstchance Wrote: I hate this for Sam and wish him a full and speedy recovery.

Now you never know the details of what one means BUT I would rather have a coach preaching the next man up has an opportunity and needs to get his job done … instead of saying he can’t be replaced. If people can’t be replaced let’s pack our bags and just go home….there will be more injuries.

I AGREE --- 100%

But, I also think that Canales handled it pretty well. He was honest and completely clear. He also said that it would open up more competition for some safeties and linebackers. You have to say the right things.... but, you have to be honest too.
"A Reasoned Response From A Reasonable Mind"