Started by PantherFan007

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

4 posts in this topic
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,158 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
05-05-2022, 07:40 PM -
.... Due to salary cap issues.  He, unfortunately for him, is a result of overspending by Gettleman.  

So.  Do we still need a cornerback, and, would he want to "come back home"?

Rolleyes Big Grin

https://www.nfl.com/news/cap-strapped-gi...of-the-wee

Joe Schoen did not walk into the best financial situation in New York.

Since-retired general manager Dave Gettleman spent without an eye on the future, and the bill came due this offseason. Unfortunately, that meant that Schoen's Giants have had to part ways with a handful of veterans. It appears that group will soon include cornerback James Bradberry.

Schoen spoke Wednesday on the situation regarding Bradberry, who seems to be headed toward a release by Big Blue.

"We should have some resolution hopefully by the end of the week," Schoen said, via NJ.com. "It's unfortunate because he's a great kid."

Schoen wisely waited as long as he realistically could before making a decision on Bradberry, who has plenty of value as a quality corner but also carries a $21.86 million cap number into 2022. That number makes Bradberry staying with the Giants -- a team that figures to be roughly $7 million over the cap after signing rookie deals -- financially prohibitive.

Schoen bided his time while waiting for interested clubs to call the Giants and make an offer for Bradberry, a cornerback who proved to be a Pro Bowl-caliber defender in 2020 and isn't yet 30 years old. The Giants GM didn't get much traction, though, as most teams knew New York couldn't afford to keep Bradberry and would eventually be forced to release him.

"Yeah, I was (surprised)," Schoen said. "I thought there would be more interest. There were teams that showed interest pre-draft and we had a couple different times there was compensation in place and the contract never worked out ... sometimes if you're going to renegotiate a contract and you couldn't come to an agreement, it is what it is."

A post-June 1 designation for release would save New York around $11 million in cap space while pushing the remaining $10 million to the team's dead cap total for 2022, which currently stands at $20.66 million. The potential savings makes this decision easy for Schoen, even if he's willingly releasing a talented player.

"He's a starting corner in the league," Schoen added. "It's just where we are financially."

Schoen isn't going to put the Giants in a great financial spot overnight, but he appears to be off to a hot start thanks to a draft class that included the additions of Oregon edge rusher Kayvon Thibodeaux and Alabama tackle Evan Neal in the first round. He's building where it matters most, and before long, the younger Giants won't be in as bad of a situation financially.

As for Bradberry, we'll wait for his release to actually happen before projecting where he might land. He'll certainly be pursued.
This post was last modified: 05-05-2022, 07:41 PM by PantherFan007.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,769 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
05-06-2022, 12:48 PM -
Interesting....

Bradberry is a VERY good corner. However....He showed little interest in staying here--while he was here. He was all about GIANT money, and probably still is. He will figure it out---eventually, I guess. You have to show a little concern about your TEAM. Everything can't be about YOU.!!  Anyway...I suspect Bradberry won't be interested in returning here, and I'm not certain that Fitterer and Rhule would be interested in bringing him back....UNLESS he could be rented for a decent number. I say RENTED, because that is what it would be. A short-term deal that would end with him jumping ship again.

Our CB room last year was very strong. I would much rather have it back this year than bringing in another "competitor" to mess up the harmony. We could use another CB....maybe.  It's too late to get Stephon Gilmore to come back. There is a real veteran who fits....Gilmore got 22 Mil over two years from Indianapolis (OR--so I heard..). So, that would be about 11 Mil per year (I DON'T know for sure--OR what the contract says..). Bradberry, on the other hand, has the Giants contract for 22 Mil for ONE year. They will save about half (11 Mil..) with a post June 1 release.....if no one steps up and makes a FOOLISH trade deal.!!  They're trying to deal him, but everyone is waiting for the release.  Understandable...
This post was last modified: 05-06-2022, 01:23 PM by Hobbit99.
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,158 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
05-06-2022, 03:02 PM -
I understand your point and agree entirely. But, remember Julius Peppers? He did the exact same thing, but after a few years of maturation, came back home and retired. Just saying. Whistling
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

05-06-2022, 05:12 PM -
(05-06-2022, 03:02 PM)PantherFan007 Wrote: I understand your point and agree entirely.  But, remember Julius Peppers?  He did the exact same thing, but after a few years of maturation, came back home and retired. Just saying.  Whistling

You make a good point. A few different things strike me as important though. Peppers was HIGHLY rated at the draft. !st rounder, #2 overall--IIRC. Bradberry was a 2nd round pick. We drafted both of them. Peppers stayed with us for seven or eight years before leaving. Bradberry hung around for his initial rookie contract before deciding to jump.   A N D ..... Peppers stayed away and played elsewhere for another seven or eight years before returning home. By the time Peppers returned to the Panthers he had been in the league for...maybe fifteen years.? And YES, he had definitely matured. Bradberry has only been gone for two years (I think..??).  He was drafted in 2016 (pretty sure..?), so he has only been playing in the league for six years.  Bradberry has already priced himself out of the market.

So, my question would be..... Has he matured any.?? Is he still chasing huge money, or has he settled down any.??  Would he be a good teammate, and good for the locker room.??  I'm not certain about the answers to those questions...
This post was last modified: 05-06-2022, 05:13 PM by Hobbit99.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

05-21-2022, 11:44 AM -
Well.... Here is an answer (sort of...) to the speculation. Bradberry has signed a one year deal with the Eagles after being released from the Giants. His new one year contract is for 10 Mil..... instead of the 22 MIL he had coming due with the Giants. NOW..... Bradberry is more in line with current market value for a CB. We'll see how long he stays with the Eagles.

On a separate note---in other news..... Former Panther, Morgan Fox, has signed on with the Chargers.  The Panthers cut Morgan Fox just two days before Free Agency started. The trip back to SoFi stadium in L.A. will be sort of a homecoming to Fox who played four years for the Rams before his one year with the Panthers.

Here's the full story:  PANTHERS WIRE: Bradberry & Fox Find New Homes
This post was last modified: 05-21-2022, 11:47 AM by Hobbit99.