2022 --- STRENGTH OF SCHEDULE---A N D ..... Schedule??
Started by Hobbit99

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

4 posts in this topic
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,764 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
05-10-2022, 10:37 PM -
Here is the latest information on the NFL schedule. The actual schedule is due to be released on Thursday, I think. The following information is courtesy of CBS Sports. We've known that the Panthers would have a tough schedule this year....based solely on our opponents. "WHO" we play is a foregone conclusion after the previous season is concluded. There is an exact 'formula' that is used to determine how the schedule is laid out. I will not go into it  because it is mind-numbing, but it's out there for anyone who is interested.

Here is a discussion about Strength of Schedule (SOS..). It is not the same as the actual schedule, but is based on who you play and where they finished last season, wins-losses, playoffs, etc. I am not sure how the actual "strength" decimal number is calculated, and I'm not really interested enough to research it. But, at least in this case, CBS Sports has done all of the work for us.

CBS Sports: Strength of Schedule article from CBS Sports

For those who just want to see the actual "SOS" chart, I will include some screen shots.  Naturally...These will show up as thumbnails, but just "click" on them to view full size.

SO... There are eleven teams with tougher schedules than the Panthers. We are tied for number twelve with two others. All the rest have easier schedules.

What does all of this mean.??  Who knows..!!  But, NOW, you know as much as I do.!!  (Maybe MORE..!!!)
This post was last modified: 05-13-2022, 01:28 PM by Hobbit99.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

05-11-2022, 08:08 AM -
Joker
Caveat Emptor...

Of course, projecting a teams probability for success THIS year, based on how their opponents fared LAST year, is a bit of a fool's errand.!!

Just because a team won the Conference last year, OR won the Super Bowl, OR (even..)  finished last in their Division, does NOT mean they will perform in the same way this year. There are too many differences on each team from year to year, to say nothing of injuries (or NO injuries..), OR changes in their schedules, opponents schedules, and even the date of their Bye, to go along with roster changes due to players leaving/retiring and Free Agency losses, etc., etc.  So..... How do you 'fit-up' all of these variables in your opponents capabilities  in such a way as to forecast or project your own teams success for the coming season.???

One more interesting tidbit. Are you aware (I know you MUST be..) that these SOS (Strength of Schedule..) blurbs CHANGE constantly during the season. So your team's Strength of Schedule changes on a week to week or month to month basis depending on how your future, upcoming opponents have done so far, THIS year.!!  SO... Your team could have a tough SOS before the season starts, but by, let's say... week four, your team could then be projected to have an EASY Strength of Schedule because a couple of your upcoming opponents have lost a game or two. Then a couple of weeks later, the latest SOS blurb would show your team with the toughest remaining schedule (or the easiest..). It's a gigantic guessing game----and all of the Super Guessers get to change their mind any time they want to.

So, this Strength of Schedule thing must be a joke, right....??   Joker
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

05-11-2022, 02:56 PM -
OMG..!!!

I just realized something.  ALL of the NFC South teams are in the top 12.   Fbwow

That means the Bucs; the Saints; and the Falcons all have tougher (more worser...) schedules than we do.  Hallelujah !! And pass the cornbread.!!
We got those devils right where we want them. That news should make all of us SO much happier.!!  Now we can relax for awhile because we are certain to make the playoffs.... maybe even win the division. !!!

Thank goodness for Strength of Schedule forecasting.  ***BIG sigh of relief.***
coffee

238 posts 24 threads Joined: Dec 2019
05-13-2022, 08:53 AM -
Oh dear God! Look at our preseason schedule! Something's missing!
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

05-13-2022, 01:27 PM -
COFFEE....

OH MY GOODNESS....  Fbwow

I just looked at the pre-season schedule.  COFFEE made me look.!!  AND he's right.!!!

PITTSBURGH is missing.   Fumble 

What is this season coming to.??   How in the world could this have happened.??