Started by Hobbit99

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

6 posts in this topic
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,769 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
06-17-2022, 03:18 AM -
The Bucs apparently have some "urgency" to find a veteran backup for Brady. Everyone knows that there is no telling what Brady is going to do. Bucs management refuse to "talk" about it, but admit to an interest in finding a veteran QB backup.

NY POST:  Bucs--Browns working "IT" (Mayfield..)
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,158 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
06-17-2022, 05:58 PM -
I hope they get him.  Why?  Several reasons.  

1.  I don't want him here.
2.  I don't want the drama involved.
3.  Let them eat up their cap space, not us.
4.  He's not as good as Jimmy Garopollo.
5.  He's not as good as Jimmy Garopollo. 

Big Grin
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

06-17-2022, 08:31 PM -
(06-17-2022, 05:58 PM)PantherFan007 Wrote: I hope they get him.  Why?  Several reasons.  

1.  I don't want him here.
2.  I don't want the drama involved.
3.  Let them eat up their cap space, not us.
4.  He's not as good as Jimmy Garopollo.
5.  He's not as good as Jimmy Garopollo. 

Big Grin

I hear ya brother.... 

I wonder though......Hmm..... He may not be as good as Jimmy Garopollo,  BUT... Is he as good as Jimmy Garoppolo.??   Big Grin

Inquiring minds want to know... 
Confused Confused Bag
BlackCatzFan

370 posts 43 threads Joined: Dec 2019
06-18-2022, 12:55 AM -
Jimmy G is no franchise QB either tho.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

06-18-2022, 02:07 AM -
(06-18-2022, 12:55 AM)BlackCatzFan Wrote: Jimmy G is no franchise QB either tho.

That's true....at least mostly. Although truthfully, Garoppolo has been effective and has shown the ability to lead. In all fairness to all of the 32 #1 QBs in the league..... Garoppolo is FAR, FAR from the worst. He's not top tier, but he can get the job done.
But I don't really want him here either. Although given the option, I would prefer Garoppolo over Mayfield (I think...???) Huh

I think all of us are too invested in always having the "best" of something. We have to have the BEST WRs, the BEST LT, the BEST pass rushers, the BEST DBs, the BEST QB, etc., etc.  I'm not a brand snob at all. I'll settle for 'good' and hope for 'better'.  Thumbsup
coffee

238 posts 24 threads Joined: Dec 2019
06-18-2022, 05:39 AM -
I haven't watched enough of them to what what Brown or Garoppolo can do for you, but here are my questions:

Brown:  Didn't he basically show himself to be moderate even with a magnificent amount of talent around him?

If so, I see him as absolutely no upgrade of Darnold and would very much prefer to see what Darnold can do with CMC and a decent line.

Garoppolo: Similar question.  His team has faired well with him, but how much of that is team and coaching?

If they are truly a Super Bowl ready team as I've heard, then Jimmy seems to be a slightly above average QB that can't stay on the field.

I think the only way I'd want either is if we got them for almost nothing and we kept Darnold anyway.  If, and only if, we got him cheap, I wouldn't mind Jimmy G with Sam as backup for when he inevitably gets hurt.  Don't think I want Baker.
This post was last modified: 06-18-2022, 05:49 AM by coffee.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

06-18-2022, 04:54 PM -
(06-18-2022, 05:39 AM)coffee Wrote: Hey Coffee: I think you have hit the nail on the head.

I haven't watched enough of them to what what Brown (..???) or Garoppolo can do for you, but here are my questions:

Brown: (..???)  Didn't he basically show himself to be moderate even with a magnificent amount of talent around him? 
I assume you mean the Browns team and Mayfield??

If so, I see him as absolutely no upgrade of Darnold and would very much prefer to see what Darnold can do with CMC and a decent line.

EXACTLY... You are correct. Mayfield has been an underperformer since he started. And he has had a LOT of talent around him continuously. Darnold has also underperformed, but he has played under a severe handicap with little or no talent until last year. And then he lost his main offensive help (McCaffrey..), and had a revolving door for an O-line that was incredibly BAD.  Also Darnold has played for four years averaging just 12 games per year. That means he lost 25% (or MORE..) of his time to injuries. He has taken a terrific hammering every year with little or no protection. The Panthers brought him here and proceeded to get him injured again, playing IN (not necessarily  starting..) 12 out of 17 games. Is it fair to expect him to improve and lead a team with no support and playing constantly injured and under duress?? A NEW team, with a NEW playbook, NEW coaches, NEW scheme, and NO support. It was a 'set-up'. Darnold was set-up to fail. Those hits he took were brutal. The hit that broke his shoulder/collarbone hurts me just to watch it.

I think the Panthers OWE him a chance to play behind some support.

Garoppolo: Similar question.  His team has faired well with him, but how much of that is team and coaching?

If they are truly a Super Bowl ready team as I've heard, then Jimmy seems to be a slightly above average QB that can't stay on the field.

Garoppolo IS different. He has proven himself as a reliable QB with both the Patriots and the 49ers. HOWEVER, as you mentioned, he has struggled staying healthy. There is some question about his recovery after surgery for the torn Labrum in his throwing arm. Garoppolo has always seemed to be just a bit less than he needed to be. Good, but still needing just a touch more to make the jump to highly effective.

I think the only way I'd want either is if we got them for almost nothing and we kept Darnold anyway.  If, and only if, we got him cheap, I wouldn't mind Jimmy G with Sam as backup for when he inevitably gets hurt.  Don't think I want Baker.

I would definitely prefer Garoppolo over Mayfield. Certainly, the deal would have to be 'team-friendly'. I believe that Darnold will improve a lot behind a supportive line and some reliable positional talent.
This post was last modified: 06-20-2022, 12:52 PM by Hobbit99.