BAKER MAYFIELD---STATS (THE REALITY BEHIND THE PRETTY VIDEOS..)
Started by Hobbit99

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

14 posts in this topic
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,764 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
07-10-2022, 06:09 PM -
Well, there is one year left to look at. That is 2021.

In 2021, Baker Mayfield missed three games. Everyone has a tendency to make a big deal about his "playing injured", but the reality is not quite so clear cut. Since he started playing back in 2018, Mayfield had played every game. He had NOT been affected enough to miss any time. I'm sure he got bumped up a little here and there, but never enough to not play. After all.... That's what trainers are for. In 2021, things changed a little. During the season he missed TWO games due to something. At the very end of the season, week 18--game 17, he sat out the last game. This was in preparation for some surgery on his NON-THROWING shoulder. There was some kind of a 'nick' or small 'tear' in the Labrum. You can look it up if you want to.... but if not, ... the Labrum is a 'gristly', tough piece of cartilage that surrounds the socket of the shoulder. The 'ball' end of the upper arm (humerus) fits into the socket where the labrum helps to support it. There is no way to know how much this injury hurt his performance. BUT...it WAS on his NON-throwing arm.  I'm not going to belabor the point any more. I assume it "hurt" or he wouldn't have had a surgical repair.  So, NOW, on to the 2021 season.

***2021***

**  Won/Loss Record = 6-8 (14 games) He beat the TEXANS, the BEARS, the VIKINGS, the BENGALS, the LIONS, and the RAVENS.
     He lost to the CHIEFS, the CHARGERS, the CARDINALS, the STEELERS (twice..), the PATRIOTS, the RAVENS, and the PACKERS.

**  Passing Stats  =  253-C of 418-A for 60.5% and 3010 Yds. 17 TDS vs. 13 INTs. 43 SACKS and a QBR of 35.1.

**  IN 2021 Mayfield picked up 134 Yds on 37 rushes.

OKAY....Lets do a quick review and synopsis.  In 2021 Mayfield missed his first games as a QB in the NFL. Three total games missed....One of which was the last game where he was "shut-down" to prepare for the surgery on his shoulder. NOTE: Everything I've read indicates it was an "elective" thing. He could have played, but with nothing to play for there was no reason. Still, the injury was real. And the surgery was real. So...Mayfield was 'injured' in game 2 (supposedly..) against the TEXANS which he won quite handily. He had a 90.5% Completion Percentage in that game with 1 TD and 1 INT. Somehow, that doesn't seem like an injured QB....Still, maybe it didn't 'hurt' until later.

Anyway, the first game he missed was in week seven. Then he missed another game in week 15, before sitting out the final game in week 18. So, quickly, in review, the 2021 season for Baker Mayfield was pretty much a carbon-copy of 2018, and 2019. Only 2020 with the 11 wins was better. But even then his passing stats were about the same, percentage-wise.

Week 7 = Left Shoulder Injury
Week 15 = COVID + (Ineligible..)
Week 18 = OUT (Non-Injury..) (Prep for surgery..)

This is the official injury stuff. The shoulder injury undoubtedly hurt, but didn't keep him from playing until Week 7. Week 15 was strictly COVID.. Baker was always wearing a mask on the field, so you have to assume he was NOT vaccinated.

** Career numbers.

Won/Loss = 30-30

Passing = 1185-C of 1924-A for 61.6% and 14,125 Yds. 92 TDs and 56 INTs.

Rushing = 571 Yds on 158 Rushes, 3.6 YPC (Avg..). His best year was 2019 when he averaged 5.0 YPC with 3 TDs

Fumbles = 2018--7; 2019--6; 2020--8; 2021--6.  So that's about 7 fumbles per year (Avg..)

SO.... There you have it.

This represents the sum-total of Baker Mayfield in the NFL. You will have to decide for yourself..... BUT, to me, This does NOT represent an 'enhanced' QB for the Panthers. This is NOT the record of a "Franchise" QB. Maybe FIRST is right.... Maybe he is a 3rd tier QB. I would call him an "average" QB....nothing special.  Does he make the Panthers a better team..??  Possibly--maybe.?? When you think about this, please NOTE..... Baker's success, or lack of success, was while he was playing behind a TOP rated O-line. Browns = Top-5 in 2021-- Projected #2 in 2022.

I don't know, guys..... Not jumping for joy here. This didn't give me much to be happy about.
This post was last modified: 07-11-2022, 08:00 AM by Hobbit99.
coffee

238 posts 24 threads Joined: Dec 2019
07-11-2022, 06:56 AM -
Thanks, Hobbit!

If Baker is being viewed as the team's salvation, I think this was a bad move. But I think all this is really designed to do is cheaply improve our QB room, which it does. We are by no means there yet, but we started 2021 with Darnold/Walker. I think 2022's probable Darnold/Baker/Corral is an upgrade and it's better than the only other option I can think of: Darnold/Cam/Corral.

I really want Corral to sit this year. Darnold doesn't do 16 games, let alone 17. We've got to have 3 QBs this year and I'd rather try Baker than PJ or Cam.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

07-11-2022, 07:46 AM -
(07-11-2022, 06:56 AM)coffee Wrote: Thanks, Hobbit!

If Baker is being viewed as the team's salvation, I think this was a bad move.  But I think all this is really designed to do is cheaply improve our QB room, which it does.  We are by no means there yet, but we started 2021 with Darnold/Walker.  I think 2022's probable Darnold/Baker/Corral is an upgrade and it's better than the only other option I can think of: Darnold/Cam/Corral.

I really want Corral to sit this year.  Darnold doesn't do 16 games, let alone 17.  We've got to have 3 QBs this year and I'd rather try Baker than PJ or Cam.

Yes, all very good points. If we can keep those three (Mayfield. Darnold, Corral..) then we have a chance to have a decent season. That will mean carrying three QBs on the 53. Couldn't afford to put one on the practice squad and run the risk of losing him. The only alternative would be to trade Darnold....and I think that will be very difficult. Might put PJ Walker on the PS though..??

I would like to see the OC do a little platooning. Put all three QBs in a room. Make them eat, sleep, live football together. Study the game together. Review the playbook together. Put them together on the sideline during games...keep them thinking about football all the time and supporting the TEAM.  Play two (or three..??) QBs per game when possible. When one has success, stay with him for a quarter or maybe a half. If nothing is working, make a change. Don't be afraid to change...and/or change back. Close or high scoring games would require some thought. That way Corral could get the benefit of live snaps in a real game against real NFL pressures and QB decisions would be a lot easier to make.  I know, it sounds like a BIG "ask", doesn't it.??
Fbwow
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,157 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
07-11-2022, 10:33 AM -
(07-10-2022, 02:16 PM)Firstchance Wrote: On a side note: is it just me or do you feel that is a sentiment that players are not overly excited to be be playing for Rhule… not displeased, just not excited. Rarely if ever in fact do I recall anyone, any position, saying how much they enjoy playing here. Or for him specifically.

I have had that feeling pretty much since he came here.  I have heard some talking heads over the past several months hinting that Rhule is an awesome college coach and then leaving it at that without saying much about him being a good NFL coach.

I guess if the guy didn't remind me so much of Will Ferrell. Did I mention I do not care for Will Ferrell? Bag
This post was last modified: 07-11-2022, 10:38 AM by PantherFan007.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

07-11-2022, 11:23 AM -
(07-10-2022, 02:16 PM)Firstchance Wrote: The good news, Mayfield is the best qb we will have on the field in quite a long period of time! The bad news, he is still a 3rd tier level qb. The better news is that we will be in a position financially to go after an upper tier qb, the bad news is, there will not be a free agent available to match!

On a side note: is it just me or do you feel that is a sentiment that players are not overly excited to be be playing for Rhule… not displeased, just not excited. Rarely if ever in fact do I recall anyone, any position, saying how much they enjoy playing here. Or for him specifically.

I knew there was something I forgot to do. !!!

I hear what you are saying. I don't know what "tier" to place him in, but to me he is just slightly above average. Especially taking into consideration that he was playing behind one of the best O-lines in the league. Now, our O-line is much improved (at least on paper..), but how Mayfield will perform is anyone's guess.

Your comment about Rhule is interesting. I was wondering why all the emphasis a few weeks ago on the First Annual Panthers' Games. They seemed to be a rousing success. I was extremely pleased (and happy.!!) to see all of the fun and player activities. I hope they continue that every year. But, more to your question, did that serve to add support for Rhule, or was it just a well-deserved "Thank You" for the players and the rest of the 'team'. My general view has been that the players seem to like Rhule okay. Maybe just a bit ambivalent or maybe just 'unproven'. So, i guess you could say there  has been limited excitement. I think the excitement level will pick up if (when..?) the Panthers new arrivals start to make their presence felt around camp.