Started by Hobbit99

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

2 posts in this topic
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,764 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
08-03-2022, 02:06 PM -
Ikem Ekwonu is progressing in his preparation for the season. However, he still hasn't seen snaps with the '1s'. It is pretty telling that Christenson started with the 1s and he is still there. That's not to say that Ekwonu won't surpass him for the LT position. I think everyone expects "Ickey" to end up as the starting LT.  I know I do. However, I am certainly glad that Brady Christenson got some game time in last year --- and proved himself capable as a Tackle.

According to Rhule, Ekwonu has a "long way" to go. He's happy with his progression, just that he is not there yet. Ekwonu will get some time with the 1s  at some point....probably real soon now. We'll see if he can supplant Christenson before the first regular season game.

PANTHERS WIRE:  Rhule On Ikem Ekwonu Readiness

PANTHERS WIRE:  Ekwonu Will NOT Be "Given" The Job..
Josh21
Posting Freak

1,192 posts 63 threads Joined: Dec 2019
08-03-2022, 10:01 PM -
Great idea. Draft in top 10, n walk the guy along…. He was the 6th pick! Glad he has to earn it, but why take him that high n treat him like a mid round pick?

He was our top rated guy on the board!?!?
This post was last modified: 08-03-2022, 10:03 PM by Josh21.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,764 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
08-04-2022, 01:54 PM -
(08-03-2022, 10:01 PM)Josh21 Wrote: Great idea.  Draft in top 10, n walk the guy along…. He was the 6th pick!  Glad he has to earn it, but why take him that high n treat him like a mid round pick?

He was our top rated guy on the board!?!?

Well, yeah..... But think about it, Josh.  ALL college players have a transition period into the league. ALL players, ALL positions. Teams WANT their 1st rounders to make an immediate impact. True enough. BUT, most draftees don't really come into their own until year two (or three..). There's just a lot to learn.

I expect Ekwonu to make an impact this year. He's that good. It just may not be a Week One impact. He will play somewhere. Might be inside at Guard for a few weeks. Might rotate in and out for awhile. But I fully expect Ekwonu to take over the LT position. But he WILL have to "beat out" the other guys who also want to play.!!  I think the Panthers are lucky this year. We have Brady Christenson who can play the position. He is probably a better Guard, and will undoubtedly move there when Ekwonu takes over the outside. Until then, I say let 'em battle it out. It'll be good for both of them.