Matt Rhule Wants Panthers to be a 4 -3 Defense.
Started by PantherFan007

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

1 posts in this topic
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,158 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
01-17-2020, 09:32 AM -
He understands the scheme of things, and doesn't mind switching it up, but he "leans toward a 4-3" defensive scheme.  He first wants to get in here and see what and who we have and go from there.

https://www.panthers.com/video/matt-rhul...n-to-watch
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,769 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
01-17-2020, 12:25 PM -
I've said it several times, and I still believe it. Our 'base' defense is of very little concern. Twenty years ago, things were different. Today with the wide open, spread offenses and "west coast" emphasis, most of the defensive alignments will be in sub packages anyway. If I remember correctly, last year we were in 'base' less than 30% of the time. That means we were using multiple sets with OLBs up on the line in press. Multiple sets with nickel and dime coverages. That essentially gives us a five man front, with two outside falling back into coverage. Just not nearly as much call for four 'down linemen these days. Some teams will necessitate different sets of course.... like Tennessee and recently N.O. as well.

If teams morph a little back toward running more 'power', then a four man front would make a lot more sense. If teams continue to work out of spread offenses almost exclusively, then I don't see where it makes much difference. "Base" defenses are almost unused.