Started by Hobbit99

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

23 posts in this topic
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,769 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
11-11-2022, 12:54 PM -
(11-11-2022, 11:25 AM)Firstchance Wrote: If I were in charge and I know I’m not, I will be getting Freeman signed to a two or three year deal and extend Luvu. As far a PJ, I’m still not a buyer. He has done decent at times with what I consider perfect game plans from McAdoo and not so perfect at other times…and quite frankly just about anyone in division football “could” be able to carry out those game plans in the same way PJ has, both good and bad. Those game plans take the air out of the ball and creates play action opportunities. Now if we can’t be aggressive and successfully run the football then we and PJ will be in big trouble. So with that said I will also give a big shout off to the oline. I expect our opponents to make adjustments and try to shut down our run game and if that happens I feel PJ will have major issues.

With all that said, agree or disagree, it just my opinion.

Regarding who plays, I think it will be PJ. Baker is done! We will accept losing a 5th round pick verses a 4th rounder if he gets enough snaps. Darnold might get some time, with the hope someone signs him and we can get a compensatory pick…otherwise we move on from them both.

I assume First was talking about Foreman, not "Freeman", and I agree with him. I've said several times that I thought Walker was just a place-holder, a backup QB in the NFL. It's not that he doesn't have some talent. He does (SOME..). The problem is he is inconsistent. With a good game plan he can manage a game. But like First said, almost any QB in the league can do that given a well-designed game plan. It's what happens when things start to go wrong that counts.

I think there are TWO factors under consideration with Mayfield. One, as First alluded to, is the compensation to the Browns, where there is a 5th rounder going to them (or a 4th if playing time is met..). Obviously, the Panthers would rather it was a 5th, so there is some thought to holding Mayfield down a little to avoid triggering the 4th.  The second factor under consideration is compensation to Mayfield. His contract agrees to a 'significant' cut in pay.....with an option to "earn back" a big bunch of the original contact amount as a "performance bonus". Obviously, the Panthers don't want to pay Mayfield the "performance bonus" either. If they can save that money, it can be carried forward to add to our available "CAP" number for next year. Right now, we're on the hook for Mayfield's entire contract (18 Mil..) if he performs to a standard. If the "performance standard" is NOT met, we will save up to 13 Mil to be added back to our available CAP at the end of the contract. That 13 Mil is just as important (..???) as the difference in draft picks.
So, if we can "save" both of those things...... Yep. That's right.

So, I see PJ playing, and probably Darnold as well. Yes, Mayfield will play some more, but he will stay below the 70% of 'snaps' by the end of the year.....And he won't make the "performance bonus" either. At least that's the way I see it.  OTOH... What do I know..???  Huh
Firstchance

716 posts 81 threads Joined: Dec 2019
11-11-2022, 02:58 PM -
Thanks, FREEMAN! I hate that I’m doing this on my iPhone and it’s spell checker. I’m so old it’s hard to see as well. And yes, the salary part is HUGE also.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

11-11-2022, 08:13 PM -
(11-11-2022, 02:58 PM)Firstchance Wrote: Thanks, FREEMAN! I hate that I’m doing this on my iPhone and it’s spell checker. I’m so old it’s hard to see as well. And yes, the salary part is HUGE also.

LOL..... I got you, brother.  Wink
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

11-12-2022, 04:31 PM -
After waiting for a couple of days, I think there are some points of interest that could be made here. So, briefly, I want to ask the question... "What are the "bright spots" in the Panthers campaign so far...through ten weeks." I have a mind to say that there are a few. I realize that opinions are personal, and as such are not necessarily a 'common' perception among all who voice them. Nevertheless, I will  (voice them..).

I think our Offensive front is a GOOD one. Our O-Line is so much improved as to not be recognizable as the same position standard as previously condemned. The right side of the line is very solid. Moton and Corbett are sharp. Moton has not missed a game since he started "starting" for us. Corbett was a very good "pickup" in FA this past year. Our current Center is the BOMB. Bozeman would have been starting from day one if not for the injury in pre-season. The left side is good, but more importantly, is improving. Ekwonu has settled in and continues to show his dominance. This is a pro-bowl caliber LT next year. Christensen is also settling in. He plays quicker outside at Tackle, but he too will continue to learn the ropes between Ekwonu and Bozeman..

Offensively, D'onta Foreman has been X-solid. Hard to fault this guy. WR DJ Moore is once again showing his skill-position "stuff." So that leaves our TEs and QBs as "positions of interest" for the future. I like Tommy Tremble fine. He needs some time and snaps. And I believe our Back-up QB is on the roster somewhere. Our QB-1 is ...?????

On Defense, I am really pleased with our pickups. Ioannidis has been great. And I really liked Henry Anderson when he was playing (he's now on the NFI list..). Derrick Brown has REALLY graduated.!! Burns is great and Marquise Haynes is good, if not spectacular. Amare Barno has a future as well. LBs are not so easily defined. Frankie Luvu is a "fire-walker" and will dominate up until he gets hurt. Shaq is VERY solid. The MLB is a question mark. Behind them we have Brandon Smith who I really like and who I think could make a dominant Middle LB if given the opportunity. The DBs are ???. We have JayCee Horn who has picked up where he left off last year. Donte Jackson is now on IR. That leaves CJ Henderson who is still learning in his third year. Also a couple more guys who are passable, but no star talent. Our safeties are limited also with Justin Burris out with a concussion and no indication of when he will be back.  When Jeremy Chinn comes back he will be a MOST welcome addition.

So who are the "Bright Spots"..??

Ekwonu; Bozeman; Corbett; Moton; Foreman; DJ Moore; Ioannidis; Brown; Burns; Thompson; Luvu.   AND BLackshear who has dominated in the Return game and is starting to show out some on the Offense as well.
This post was last modified: 11-12-2022, 11:06 PM by Hobbit99.