Started by Hobbit99

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

9 posts in this topic
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,769 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
11-26-2022, 10:36 AM -
Well, the word is out. Rhule lasted less than two months on the market, as Nebraska has apparently hired him to coach and revamp their football program. This is a step UP (in size..) for Rhule after leading Temple and Baylor through successful rebuilds. The word about Nebraska has been slowly circulating, quietly (mostly..), for awhile. Officially now--- Univ. of Nebraska just tweeted out Rhule's hiring 26 min ago... So, that would have been around 10:00 A.M. Eastern time.

I'm sure the Panthers will be monitoring the monetary aspects of the new contract. Rhule's old contract with the Panthers apparently has an "escape" clause that modifies the remaining balance on his Panthers contract 'dollar for dollar' with his new contract. Important because the Panthers still owe about 40 Mil to Rhule. So depending on the remuneration from Nebraska, the Panthers stand to save quite a few bucks.

EDIT NOTE: I may have interpreted that contract information incorrectly. The Panther's contract MAY represent a 'Buy-Down' for Nebraska, offsetting some of their contract money. If so, Nebraska is getting a good deal on the money end. Rhule's new contract with Nebraska is for eight years.  I will try to figure it out.. although "high finance" is beyond my understanding. My $4.63 bank balance at the end of the month counts as a success to me.

I'm sure we will hear a lot more about this in the coming days, but for now here are a couple of links to get you started.

PANTHERS WIRE:  Nebraska Hires Rhule & What It Means

THE ATHLETIC:  Nebraska--Rhule... It's Official
This post was last modified: 11-27-2022, 09:39 AM by Hobbit99.
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,158 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
11-26-2022, 12:19 PM -
Yep, it's a done deal. Good for him. I like Matt Rhule as a man and a person, even a college coach. Best wishes for him in the future!
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

11-26-2022, 01:03 PM -
Yes, I'm with you and I agree. Actually, I've rather liked both of our last two coaches. Both Rhule and Rivera were very personable. They were well liked in the locker room and always (pretty much 'always'..) handled the reporters with fairness and a smile. They just didn't get the job done as a HC (Rivera = "maybe"). Even saying that, Rivera has done a pretty good job up in Washington.

So, yes..... I wish Rhule well at Nebraska. It will be interesting to see if he can turn THAT program around. I wouldn't bet against him.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

11-27-2022, 10:17 AM -
After a few hours spent reading and reviewing, I am still not 100% certain about the details of Matt Rhule's contracts. What I DO know is this.... Rhule has a contract that supposedly sets up a dollar-for-dollar "offset" if he should become obligated under a different contract. I haven't found the exact wording, so I can't say if there are certain overriding circumstances. Also... The Univ. Nebraska contract details have not been released yet. However, since Nebraska is a 'public' university, the details should/will be made available at some point.

The notes about this issue and what it means for the Panthers has been discussed in several places. It appears as if Rhule's contract with the Panthers is the one with the "offset" language. That would seem to indicate that the "dollar-for-dollar offset" was in place long before Rhule agreed to terms with Nebraska. This would mean that someone in the Panthers organization was thinking ahead and wisely incorporated a 'safety-valve' in the seven year, 62 Mil., contract. The actual dollar amount of the savings for the Panthers would depend on the terms in Rhule's Nebraska contract over the next four plus years which is the length of his Panthers contract. Right now, it looks as if the Panthers stand to save 35-40 Mil. of the 62 Mil.; the part unpaid, still owed on the contract over the next four years.

So.... Maybe the Panthers did something right..??
This post was last modified: 11-27-2022, 10:19 AM by Hobbit99.
PantherFan007
Administrator

11-28-2022, 04:08 PM -
Okay, I officially don't like Matt Rhule anymore.  He done stole my Gamecocks Offensive Coordinator (and Former Panthers Assistant) Marcus Satterfield.  They have been together at Carolina, Baylor, and Temple.  He was South Carolina's Offensive Coordinator since leaving the Panthers.

PantherFan007
Administrator

11-28-2022, 04:09 PM -
No matter, it's hard to feel sorry for Matt Rhule. Give or take $30 Million, he made out like a bandit. Give me $39 million up front and fire me 2 1/2 years later. I'll laugh all the way to the bank lol
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

11-28-2022, 05:46 PM -
I don't think anyone feels sorry for him, at least I hope they don't. His contract at Nebraska is for 72 Mil and 8 years. There is no word yet on how it is going to be paid out, but the early indications are that Nebraska's contract will "offset" most, if not all, of the remaining amount due to Rhule on his Panthers contract. This bit of 'tomfoolery' shows a bit of intelligence on the part of the Panthers money machine. Quite a big saving in real dollars for the Panthers.

There is an interesting 'aside' to this discussion as it applies to Matt Rhule and his thought process. Knowing what we do now about his Panthers contract, the question begs asking. WHY would Rhule be in a hurry to jump into another contract. He COULD (maybe SHOULD..??) have chosen to sit at home on the couch and draw his fully guaranteed salary from the Panthers. A full 35-40 Mil over the next 4 years...... for doing nothing..!!!  The job at Nebraska doesn't lose him any money, but now he has to work for it.!!

Hmmm....maybe he just loves Nebraska. Or maybe Julie doesn't want him hanging around the house all the time.  I don't know, but there probably is a reason. Well, maybe... ??
Huh
This post was last modified: 11-28-2022, 05:48 PM by Hobbit99.
PantherFan007
Administrator

11-28-2022, 08:15 PM -
(11-28-2022, 05:46 PM)Hobbit99 Wrote: I don't think anyone feels sorry for him, at least I hope they don't. His contract at Nebraska is for 72 Mil and 8 years. There is no word yet on how it is going to be paid out, but the early indications are that Nebraska's contract will "offset" most, if not all, of the remaining amount due to Rhule on his Panthers contract. This bit of 'tomfoolery' shows a bit of intelligence on the part of the Panthers money machine. Quite a big saving in real dollars for the Panthers.

There is an interesting 'aside' to this discussion as it applies to Matt Rhule and his thought process. Knowing what we do now about his Panthers contract, the question begs asking. WHY would Rhule be in a hurry to jump into another contract. He COULD (maybe SHOULD..??) have chosen to sit at home on the couch and draw his fully guaranteed salary from the Panthers. A full 35-40 Mil over the next 4 years...... for doing nothing..!!!  The job at Nebraska doesn't lose him any money, but now he has to work for it.!!

Hmmm....maybe he just loves Nebraska. Or maybe Julie doesn't want him hanging around the house all the time.  I don't know, but there probably is a reason. Well, maybe... ??
Huh

I just heard on the news that he was guaranteed $49 Million when he was fired.  Huh
Josh21
Posting Freak

1,194 posts 63 threads Joined: Dec 2019
11-28-2022, 09:46 PM -
DAAANG!!!
Firstchance

716 posts 81 threads Joined: Dec 2019
11-29-2022, 07:59 AM -
Nebraska’s new coach will make $5.5 million from his start date until the end of 2023, with the salary going up as follows: $6.5 million in 2024, $7.5 million in 2025; $8.5 million in 2026; $10 million in 2027; $11.5 million in 2028; $12 million in 2029 and $12.5 million in 2030.

Of course every dollar “helps” but Panthers still paying their “fair” share.