Started by Hobbit99

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

5 posts in this topic
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,759 posts 502 threads Joined: Dec 2019
02-25-2023, 06:11 PM -
Another name coming up in Free Agency is QB jimmy Garoppolo. Figured to be alongside Derek Carr and Aaron Rogers, Jimmy G. figures to demand a high number as well. No one knows where these three QBs will land, but they figure to be on QB-needy teams come Free Agency time.  Whether or not the Panthers decide to go "all-in" on one of these guys, their appearance in FA will help the Panthers. Even if the Panthers do NOT pursue one of them, they will end uo on some team and will definitely affect the upcoming draft. Any "needy" team who signs one of these guys will probably NOT draft one high in the 1st round..... Or might be willing to trade out of a high pick so the Panthers could move up. Of course, ANY team could get these guys and they might not be ahead of the Panthers in the draft order.  So, once again, who knows..??  Have to wait and see.

THE COMEBACK  (Jeremy Fowler--ESPN):  Garoppolo--High Value Free Agent QB
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,156 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
02-25-2023, 06:57 PM -
I would say keep Darnold because he knows the offense, but nope.  Not this offense

Dodgy
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

02-25-2023, 07:59 PM -
(02-25-2023, 06:57 PM)PantherFan007 Wrote: I would say keep Darnold because he knows the offense, but nope.  Not this offense

Dodgy

Yeah.... But I don't see that as a barrier to any higher quality QB.  You're right, Darnold doesn't know THIS offense. But neither does Carr, or Garoppolo, or Rogers, or ANY rookie draft QB.  Any of them will have to learn the intricacies.  However, any veteran QB will be miles ahead of any rookie.  So, Darnold = YES because he is familiar with the team players and home. Carr = YES because he is a proven commodity and would pick up the offense as quick as any veteran. Same goes for Garoppolo or Rogers (of course).

Still I'd rather see Darnold on a 2-4 year contract (somewhere in that range..) as a "bridge" to an upcoming rookie. We could afford him (probably) and still draft a QB this year or next to go along side Matt Corral.  Might be better to wait till next year and allow Corral to "platoon" a little with Darnold.  Might not need to draft another QB.!!
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,156 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
02-25-2023, 08:01 PM -
I would honestly PREFER to re-sign Darnold. With a good line, he has shown he can move the ball and score touchdowns. He isn't a "great" quarterback, but I think he is as good as any of the other free agent quarterbacks, plus he already lives here :)

As for Matt Corral, I think he gets cut. He is of Matt Rhule's regime, and wasn't really a highly regarded draft pick last year. He had been injured quite a bit in college, and then comes into the NFL and doesn't make it out of Preseason.
This post was last modified: 02-25-2023, 08:16 PM by PantherFan007.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

02-25-2023, 08:05 PM -
(02-25-2023, 08:01 PM)PantherFan007 Wrote: I would honestly PREFER to re-sign Darnold.  With a good line, he has shown he can move the ball and score touchdowns.  He isn't a "great" quarterback, but I think he is as good as any of the other free agent quarterbacks, plus he already lives here :)

EXACTLY...
Firstchance

715 posts 81 threads Joined: Dec 2019
02-25-2023, 11:17 PM -
I’m on the Darnold wagon. Not a bandwagon. He will be the least expensive asset but expect us to run the ball a lot next year and Darnold can manage those type games plus he does have chemistry and timing with guys. He’s a prefect
bridge as mentioned prior.

I’m Not expecting big thing next year. Too
Many right pieces to get acquired or drafted and developed. Howeber. By year three maybe Ben two we can be excited about playoffs for several years to come.