Started by Hobbit99

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

4 posts in this topic
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,759 posts 502 threads Joined: Dec 2019
03-07-2023, 07:33 PM -
That's the word from Good Morning Football. Cameron Wolfe holds out that the Panthers were the "most aggressive" team at the Combine. Honestly, I'm not certain exactly how that computes. Apparently, he sees them as "all-in" on the draft and expects them to move aggressively up as necessary to get a QB.

PANTHERS WIRE (Quoting GMFB):  Panthers showing "Aggression"..???

The video in question is at the bottom of the article as it ran on GMFB.
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,156 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
03-07-2023, 09:07 PM -
It won't let me view the page or video because I am using adblocker plus. But yeah, I got that impression about the Panthers from all of the videos I saw. They were there to get their guy, no doubt about it, and they were not trying to hide it.
Josh21
Posting Freak

1,192 posts 63 threads Joined: Dec 2019
03-07-2023, 11:59 PM -
Hopefully they love 2 or more. If not idk. How bout a trade down n the 6’7” 264 lb te?

Ol, pass catcher. Like the style of his jib. (A quote I don’t understand Hobbit).

^ or cut of his job.

Ol, pass catcher. Like the style of his jib. (A quote I don’t understand Hobbit).
This post was last modified: 03-08-2023, 12:30 AM by Josh21.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,759 posts 502 threads Joined: Dec 2019
03-09-2023, 05:15 PM -
(03-07-2023, 11:59 PM)Josh21 Wrote: Hopefully they love 2 or more.  If not idk.  How bout a trade down n the 6’7” 264 lb te?

Ol, pass catcher.  Like the style of his jib.  (A quote I don’t understand Hobbit).

^ or cut of his job.

Ol, pass catcher.  Like the style of his jib.  (A quote I don’t understand Hobbit).

Hey Josh.... Just saw this... sorry I missed it earlier.

You don't see this very often these days. This is an old nautical term from several hundred years back (1600-1700s). It's from the days of the tall masted sailing ships. In this time frame the navies of the world were limited in their effectiveness. There were sailing ships from all over the world of course, but the countries with large and important "navies" were the Norse countries, England, France, Spain and to a lesser extent some of the North African countries (Egypt, etc.) and some more from the Mediterranean (Italy, Greece, etc.). As commerce developed and the need for protection of the sea borders and shipping lanes became more important, these countries started arming their ships and using them for an advantage over other countries.

The problems started because ship captains had a difficult time identifying a ship as it approached. They naturally wanted to know whose ship it was before it got too close.  To aid in identification, countries started to utilize readily identifiable traits on their ships. Smart captains learned quickly how to identify ships at sea. One such method was by the design and shape of the front-most sail on the ship. This sail is called a Jib. It extends from the top of the foremast to the bowsprit. Most countries had specific shapes or 'looks' on their Jibs. So a smart captain with one of the early "spyglasses" could look quickly at a ship from a relatively long distance and determine if the ship was an "enemy". This was called "the cut of the jib."

In today's vernacular, that phrase is most often used to describe a person (from a front view..). Since a Jib sail on a tall-masted, square rigged ship is ALWAYS at the front of the ship in the direction of travel, the term is naturally used to describe a person whom you "like' or "don't like" as you look at them head-on. So you either "like the cut of his Jib." Or you "don't like the cut of his Jib." Meaning how the person appears, walks, looks, carries themself.  

My understanding for what it's worth.
This post was last modified: 03-09-2023, 05:18 PM by Hobbit99.
Josh21
Posting Freak

1,192 posts 63 threads Joined: Dec 2019
03-09-2023, 05:27 PM -
As always very informative. Thank u sir!