Started by PantherFan007

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

5 posts in this topic
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,158 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
03-13-2023, 09:46 AM -
This trade between the Panthers and Bears was the earliest trade since the NFL and AFL Merger back in the day.

So, we ask ourselves, why so early?  Most trades happen either a day or two before the draft or DURING the actual draft.

There are six weeks remaining until the 2023 NFL Draft. 

In that time, the Panthers (1) KNOW they can have whomever they please, (2) have plenty of time to research ALL of the prospects with the literal knowledge that the guy is theirs if they want him, and (3) they have some trade bait if the DO intend to trade back to... let's say... #3 or #5, in which case they could get back some of the draft picks they gave up plus still be able to "get their guy" with the proper movement.

Six weeks is a LOT of time to study film on every single player out there. It isn't like we were hoping for (x, y, or z) and someone snatched them up, then we had to switch our plans at the last minute.

Thoughts?
This post was last modified: 03-13-2023, 09:47 AM by PantherFan007.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,769 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
03-13-2023, 12:23 PM -
I think the Panthers were concerned (and rightfully so..) about getting "behind the curve" on these QBs. With Free Agency opening on Wednesday at 4:00 PM, there is bound to be a LOT of action around the league. That action COULD include trades and extensions and "tags".....just a LOT of potential for teams to make moves of all sorts.

The Panthers were at #9, with four potential QBs to choose from. Lets say they were possibly interested in two of them...maybe. With eight teams in front of you, you would HAVE to know what the other team's interests were.  If you are not absolutely sure...you run a very real risk of getting shut out of the QB market.  So... who needs QBs.?? Well, the Texans probably @ #2. The Colts probably @ #4. The Lions probably @ #6. The Falcons maybe @#8. Also "in the hunt" are the Raiders (maybe), the Jets (Who knows..). The Seahawks and the Commanders both could lose their QBs in FA..... All these plus a bunch of teams lower down the order who would probably love an upgrade if it became available.

It might be easier to think in terms of who does NOT need a QB.??  Well.... the Cardinals @ #3 will probably stand pat. The Bears were @ #1 and are probably good.  So, where does that leave you when you are stuck at #9 with maybe six QB needy teams in front of you???  It just became VERY obvious to the Panthers that it was necessary to move up if they wanted a QB.

I know you asked "Why so early?" Well, just like the saying goes..."He who hesitates is lost." It would only take two teams to trade up.  To #1 (the Bears) and #3 (the Cardinals), and the Panthers would be screwed. Even if only one team moved up to #1....The Texans are definitely "looking" @ #2, So the absolute 'best' the Panthers could do would be #3 if someone didn't beat them to it. Could you wait and take the chance..?? Wait all the way to Draft day..??

Once the Panthers decided to go "all-in" on a QB, moving up became a necessity. Why so early?? The risk. Can you afford the risk of someone jumping you and losing out of the top one or two QBs.??  If the answer is "yes, you can afford the risk", then you wait and watch and listen. If you can NOT afford it and need to mitigate risk, then you move and move FAST.....before someone beats you to it.

That's the way I see it, anyway.....
This post was last modified: 03-13-2023, 12:26 PM by Hobbit99.
Firstchance

716 posts 81 threads Joined: Dec 2019
03-13-2023, 04:00 PM -
You make a trade with what you paid you had better be positive of your guy!!! You don’t make the trade to figure out which one… what if all them didn’t turn out to check all their boxes.

Their boxes much be checked.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,769 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
03-13-2023, 04:22 PM -
(03-13-2023, 04:00 PM)Firstchance Wrote: You make a trade with what you paid you had better be positive of your guy!!! You don’t make the trade to figure out which one… what if all them didn’t turn out to check all their boxes.

Yep... I think you're right. The panthers KNOW what they want. The decision has been made....although they WILL continue with "due diligence" up until going on the clock. The only possibility that MIGHT change it.... Someone trades up to #3, then offers us the #3 and a good amount of "boot" in picks or players. we would then own the #3 and probably NOT get the QB we wanted (probably..). The only way I see this happening is if we are equally enamored with two different QBs and/or we absolutely KNOW what is going to happen in the two picks in front of us.

QUESTION:  Does anyone know if a team can "leak" (or outright tell..) another team what their plans are in the draft. Against the rules..???  I know, as a matter of course, teams keep their plans highly secret. Just wondering if in a special circumstance a team could "guarantee" another team that they would or would not pick a certain player.... maybe as part of a trade negotiation..??
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,158 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
03-13-2023, 05:13 PM -
(03-13-2023, 04:00 PM)Firstchance Wrote: You make a trade with what you paid you had better be positive of your guy!!! You don’t make the trade to figure out which one… what if all them didn’t turn out to check all their boxes.

I agree, but what if the rumors are true, that Tepper is high on on Bryce Young and Reich is high on CJ Stroud.  Wouldn't you like to have some time to do further evaluation on both?  I mean, EITHER pick would be great, but one might just be greater than the other, and wouldn't it be nice to find that out beforehand rather than after the fact?
Josh21
Posting Freak

1,194 posts 63 threads Joined: Dec 2019
03-13-2023, 10:40 PM -
I’d like to think they are finalizing findings till the draft. Choose, then ponder who u can get where. I suspect we stay put, unless all 4 qbs are questionable. No one would know they think that if they trade out I hope. Really think they are looking at a couple.