Started by Hobbit99

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

2 posts in this topic
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,770 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
04-14-2023, 02:13 PM -
Well... What goes around, comes around.  The Panthers have signed veteran WR Damiere Byrd. Byrd was a Panther in a previous life. He came into the league in 2015 as a UDFA. He was here for a few years (maybe four.??) then moved on. Now..... He's back.  The Panthers in their quest for a deep threat and vertical speed have signed DJ Chark and now Byrd. He could be very helpful, especially as Chark recovers completely from his off-season surgery.

PANTHERS.COM:  Panthers Sign WR Damiere Byrd
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,158 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
04-15-2023, 01:28 PM -
Byrd was a STAR at South Carolina (trust me, I'm a Gamecocks fan), and I was stoked when we first signed him.  We never used him correctly.  In the right system, he could be a stud.  Maybe "this" is his system.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,770 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
04-15-2023, 05:16 PM -
(04-15-2023, 01:28 PM)PantherFan007 Wrote: Byrd was a STAR at South Carolina (trust me, I'm a Gamecocks fan), and I was stoked when we first signed him.  We never used him correctly.  In the right system, he could be a stud.  Maybe "this" is his system.

Yes... Possibly. (I don't have a college team -- sorry.  I mean one that I am "tied" to..).

Although, just keeping it REAL now..... Byrd has been in the league for seven years. In those seven years he has played for five different teams. His best year was 2020 with the Patriots where he had 47 catches for 604 yards. His total yards for his career is 1689.  His college career was nothing to brag about either. Four years (2011--2014); 68 catches; 1268 Yards..... (TOTAL-- Four years..).

So, maybe he hasn't found his "system" yet. I don't know.  There are a few things we DO know though. Byrd is F A S T.... 4.28 -- 40 yd.  Byrd is small, short and light..... 5'9" -- 175 lbs.  Byrd's one real claim to fame was in 2017 when he had a 103 yd K.O. return for TD.

We also know that 32 teams passed on him seven times, so he wasn't heavily recruited. The Panthers signed him (NOT drafted..) as a UDFA in 2015. They cut him then signed him to the practice squad where he did not play that year. His first NFL snaps were in 2016 and he has been hanging around and changing teams since then.

So, maybe the Panthers "didn't use him correctly."  ¿Quien Sabe?  But, if not, neither did any of the other teams he's played for.  Right.??  Although, to be fair, his one year with the Patriots was a decent year.

I like the IDEA of a blazing fast WR..... But he has to produce.  So far in seven years across five teams, there has been little or nothing to write home about.  I sincerely hope he proves to be a valuable piece on the field. If he does good, that probably means the Panthers are doing good.  And that is what I care about.!!  
Headbang