Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

6 posts in this topic
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,157 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
05-08-2023, 06:09 PM -
That's two down, three to go!

Chandler Zavala agrees to terms on rookie deal (panthers.com)

CHARLOTTE – The Panthers got a deal done with their newest guard, agreeing to terms with Chandler Zavala, their fourth-round pick in this year's draft.

The N.C. State offensive lineman agreed to terms on a four-year contract Monday.

Zavala, a 6-foot-3, 322-pound guard, was selected by the Panthers with the 114th overall pick in the fourth round. He spent the last two seasons with the Wolfpack, playing in 12 games last year and working alongside Carolina's starting left tackle Ikem Ekwonu when they were both at N.C. State in 2021. Ekwonu was drafted in the first round by the Panthers in 2022.

Before heading to N.C. State, Zavala spent time at Division II Fairmont State. He eventually worked his way up to a starting role with the Wolfpack.

Carolina is dealing with injuries to its starting two guards, Brady Christensen (ankle) and Austin Corbett (ACL). Both starters sustained injuries in last season's final matchup, so Zavala will have a natural place to play a role while they recover.

He's the Panthers' second draft pick to agree to terms on a rookie deal. Safety Jammie Robinson agreed to terms on his rookie contract last week.
BlackCatzFan

370 posts 43 threads Joined: Dec 2019
05-09-2023, 05:31 AM -
Zavala seems to have all the stuff to be good, only knock is his durability… this is becoming a dark theme developing that I’m seeing. Anyone else notice the pattern?
Firstchance

715 posts 81 threads Joined: Dec 2019
05-09-2023, 08:30 AM -
Possibly our best overall draft pick, certainly the one with the most value, in my opinion.

I don’t worry about past injuries, would rather think that his history including past injuries and anything not currently revealed has been thoroughly investigated by staff. Injuries happen in this sport look at Christensen and Corbett now. I’m again assuming he or any other draft selection has gone through more tests and analysis than I will go through in a ten year period.
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,157 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
05-09-2023, 08:40 AM -
He is used to working side by side with Ikey, so I like the fit.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,764 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
05-09-2023, 07:56 PM -
Actually, I like Zavala about as much as any of our picks.  I think he has the potential to be a decent O-lineman. Will he flourish.??  I don't know. It's possible, but it's also possible that he will just be a good depth piece. In any event, he will be a welcome addition.  I don't see him taking over from Brady Christensen.... at least not in the foreseeable future, so his prior escapades alongside Ekwonu mean nothing really.  He would be more apt to play on the right side, depending on how Corbett recovers.

I hope all of our draftees do well. But I think most of them will end up being mediocre talents. (Just like MOST drafted players...)

Bag
Josh21
Posting Freak

1,192 posts 63 threads Joined: Dec 2019
05-09-2023, 09:03 PM -
(05-09-2023, 05:31 AM)BlackCatzFan Wrote: Zavala seems to have all the stuff to be good, only knock is his durability… this is becoming a dark theme developing that I’m seeing.  Anyone else notice the pattern?

Talking injury prone/history BCF?  If so elaborate.  If not what pattern?
BlackCatzFan

370 posts 43 threads Joined: Dec 2019
05-10-2023, 10:55 AM -
(05-09-2023, 09:03 PM)Josh21 Wrote:
(05-09-2023, 05:31 AM)BlackCatzFan Wrote: Zavala seems to have all the stuff to be good, only knock is his durability… this is becoming a dark theme developing that I’m seeing.  Anyone else notice the pattern?

Talking injury prone/history BCF?  If so elaborate.  If not what pattern?

https://www.insidenova.com/sports/prince...07646.html

First google post was this one, denotes back injury requiring surgery, and a knee injury.  Not extensive, but it’s a history.  My point was Him, Chark, DJax, Jaycee, etc.  a lot of injury prone people who can’t do a full season.  (Not that CZ can’t we just don’t know)