Started by Hobbit99

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

4 posts in this topic
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,764 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
05-12-2023, 12:31 PM -
The very first thing I want to say is..... I believe that our three pre-season games this year are going to be VERY important.  At least to us. They may not mean as much to our opponents, but they definitely should to us.  Think about it like this. We have an all-new coaching staff; an all-new playbook; all-new QBs; a new defensive alignment; and a BUNCH of new (to the Panthers..) players.

We are going to need to hit the ground running. No wasted time. No fiddle-farting around. Full-bore, balls to the wall, game oriented playing. Win or lose doesn't really matter. Just hit 'em fast and hit 'em hard. Develop a winning attitude early and take no prisoners.....  If we take those first three pre-season games seriously, we will be in position to make REAL game-time decisions come opening day in Atlanta.
  • #1 NY Jets and Aaron Rodgers (Home--BofA) --- Only one thing to say here -- Aaron Rodgers. Backing up Rodgers will be Zach Wilson. The Jets have a good receiving corps. AND they've gone all-in this year for Aaron Rodgers. Don't be surprised to see the Jets at the top of the AFC East this year.  Rodgers will test the Panthers DBs at all depths of the field. I like our secondary if everyone is healthy, If not. it could be a long day. 
  • #2 NY Giants and Daniel Jones (@ NY) --- This will be interesting for several reasons. First, Daniel Jones is an accurate passer. Last year (2022) he had a 67% completion percentage and over 3200 yds. That's NOT a lot of yardage, you say.?? You're correct, but consider that Jones also carried the ball 120 times for over 700 yards.  Combine that with Saquon Barkley who had over 1300 yards rushing and 340 yards receiving...  Can you see the potential here.??  The Panthers defense better be ready. This could get ugly early.
  • #3 Detroit Lions and Jared Goff - Hendon Hooker (Home--BofA) --- Jared Goff will lead this team. Last year he had a 65% completion percentage and over 4400 yards. He had 3-4 capable receivers, but lost one of them to US.!! DJ Chark is now a Panther so less proven capability at WR. One highlight rusher in Jamaal Williams with about 1060 yards last year, but they also have D'Andre Swift with about 550 yards last year. It will be interesting to see how much Hendon Hooker plays. The one important thing about this game is.... The Panthers could gain some useful game information. We play Detroit again in the regular season in Week 5 -- at Detroit.

Of course, everything here is predicated on teams playing hard and trying to win. Who knows about that.??  I DO think it would behoove the Panthers to play these games with INTENT. We are going to need to build competitive fire, and a dominating sense of purpose. Too much "new" here to play it any other way.  OH, one other thing.  This is all just IMHO...

Old Crutches
This post was last modified: 05-16-2023, 07:32 AM by Hobbit99.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,764 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
05-15-2023, 04:02 PM -
Quick note here....Since the league has moved to a seventeen game schedule, an 'unbalanced' number of games, each team plays 8 HOME vs. 9 AWAY games --- OR 9 HOME vs. 8 AWAY games depending on where they are in the yearly rotation. Since the Panthers played 9 HOME games last year, this year they will play 9 AWAY games........ Not that it matters TOO much I suppose.

So, the Panthers first four games..... The Panthers open with two Division games right out of the box against the Falcons and the Saints, which are then followed by games against the Seahawks and the Vikings. To compound the intrigue, Week 2 against the Saints is a HOME Prime-time MNF game.  So, it looks like this:

1. @ Atlanta Falcons
  2. New Orleans Saints (Prime-time MNF)
  3. @ Seattle Seahawks
  4. Minnesota Vikings

Week 1 --- At Atlanta Falcons.  This should be a win for the Panthers. Of course, everything depends on our QB situation (I don't necessarily believe that Young will automatically be the week 1 starter..). Another question is always the injuries coming out of pre-season.  Two important things we know nothing about.  Still, I think the Panthers start off with a win.

Week 2 --- (Home) New Orleans Saints.  THIS is a horse of a different color. Monday night; Home; Prime-Time.  Should favor the Panthers. Still, I'm concerned about this game. The Saints will be starting Derek Carr at QB (probably..). He will be the class of the Division, just based on prior performance. My all-too-early thoughts keep me leaning toward the Saints. However, IF the Panthers can settle in (quickly) to their new offense, it will be interesting and the Panthers just might start the season 2-0. Panthers lose.

Week 3 --- At Seattle Seahawks.  This game should be a real test. I fully expect to see the Panthers lose this one. The Seahawks play in a tough NFC West Division where they seem to have a highly regarded offense. This will definitely put the pressure on a newly formed 3-4 Panthers defense, where it will probably see one of it's toughest challenges this year. Everything will depend on Geno Smith out there on the 'left coast'. Panthers lose.

Week 4 --- (Home) Minnesota Vikings.  This game should favor the Panthers (theoretically..). At Home against a mostly 'average' team. This game should be a test for "respectability." Also... We now have Adam Thielen, and they don't. That ought to be worth a point or two. This should be a good game with the Panthers starting to settle in to a new offense and a different defensive setup. Panthers win. 

So.... After four weeks, I see the Panthers at 2-2. We could easily win the Saints game and be at 3-1.  OR, we could lose the Vikings game at be at 1-3.

***One additional thing to note:   I reserve the right to change my mind on all of this  (and I probably will...... maybe).   Huh
This post was last modified: 05-15-2023, 06:23 PM by Hobbit99.
Josh21
Posting Freak

1,192 posts 63 threads Joined: Dec 2019
05-15-2023, 05:23 PM -
Preaseason first, let’s see where we are. I’m hopeful, like every year, just wanna c what we got. Even then preseason is not the best test. I love week 1, to see who steps up. When it matters.
This post was last modified: 05-15-2023, 05:25 PM by Josh21.
Josh21
Posting Freak

1,192 posts 63 threads Joined: Dec 2019
05-15-2023, 07:29 PM -
So for now watch the first 3 (ps). Then keep going. Long process. Just MHO. Need time to gel n not always figured by week 1. Tell me who our d lines up with right now. O also. Battles coming.

(05-15-2023, 07:29 PM)Josh21 Wrote: So for now watch the first 3 (ps).  Then keep going.  Long process.  Just MHO.  Need time to gel n not always figured by week 1.  Tell me who our d lines up with right now.  O also.  Battles coming.  Should b interesting.
This post was last modified: 05-15-2023, 07:31 PM by Josh21.
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,157 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
05-17-2023, 10:25 AM -
Every team is a different team than last year, so we all start with a clean slate. As far as Derek Carr, we'll see how it goes for him, but I'm no higher on him than I was on Baker Mayfield, so that bar isn't set too high.