Started by PantherFan007

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

6 posts in this topic
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,156 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
03-17-2020, 07:52 PM -
After having been rather rudely released by the Panthers himself, Smitty did not give the answer I was expecting him to give, but rather a very honest and professional opinion which makes you stop and think.  Watch the video at the link:

http://www.nfl.com/m/share?p=%2Fvideos%2...seek-trade
This post was last modified: 03-17-2020, 07:53 PM by PantherFan007.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,763 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
03-18-2020, 06:44 PM -
Smitty was not only a thinking player, he's a thinking analyst.  I find myself agreeing with most of what he had to say. I think most of Cam's productive days are behind him. Yes, he'll play somewhere and play pretty good (maybe..) for a couple of years. But he will NEVER be what he was in 2012-2013-2014-2015. Those days are gone.

Good job, Smitty.!!

Worship
PantherFan007
Administrator

03-18-2020, 07:21 PM -
(03-18-2020, 06:44 PM)Hobbit99 Wrote: Smitty was not only a thinking player, he's a thinking analyst.  I find myself agreeing with most of what he had to say. I think most of Cam's productive days are behind him. Yes, he'll play somewhere and play pretty good (maybe..) for a couple of years. But he will NEVER be what he was in 2012-2013-2014-2015. Those days are gone.

Good job, Smitty.!!

Worship

I was thoroughly impressed by his insight.  When I started watching, I fully expected him to take the opportunity to throw the Panthers under the bus, but he was honest and straight to the point. 

... but then we all heard rumors that Cam and Smitty .... well, had "history" ;)
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

03-19-2020, 12:58 AM -
Smitty did a good job...

Basically, he told it like it is. Panthers are rebuilding. New coaching staff.. New owner. New direction. Cam is an unknown. Time to DO SOMETHING.

I agree...
iiwii
Administrator

86 posts 9 threads Joined: Dec 2019
03-19-2020, 07:05 PM -
Honestly, I expected Cam to be gone this year. I told the guys at work when Ron was fired that Cam had played his last days in Carolina. New coaching staff want's their guys in their system. That's just the way it is. I'm excited to see what kind of team we have put together by the time the season starts.
PantherFan007
Administrator

03-19-2020, 08:11 PM -
(03-19-2020, 07:05 PM)iiwii Wrote: Honestly, I expected Cam to be gone this year.  I told the guys at work when Ron was fired that Cam had played his last days in Carolina.  New coaching staff want's their guys in their system.  That's just the way it is.  I'm excited to see what kind of team we have put together by the time the season starts.

I expected it as well, I just thought the organization would have handled it much better.  Not a fan of how they did it.  Like him or not, Cam has been a great and entertaining player on this team when healthy, and he deserved more respect.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

03-20-2020, 03:40 AM -
(03-19-2020, 07:05 PM)iiwii Wrote: Honestly, I expected Cam to be gone this year.  I told the guys at work when Ron was fired that Cam had played his last days in Carolina.  New coaching staff want's their guys in their system.  That's just the way it is.  I'm excited to see what kind of team we have put together by the time the season starts.

(03-19-2020, 08:11 PM)PantherFan007 Wrote: I expected it as well, I just thought the organization would have handled it much better.  Not a fan of how they did it.  Like him or not, Cam has been a great and entertaining player on this team when healthy, and he deserved more respect.

The writing has been on the wall for quite a while now. I mentioned this eventuality months back. In my mind, it was never in question.  I loved Cam when he broke in to the league. I supported Cam for years and extolled his virtues. The fact remains, Cam has been slipping steadily into the middle ground.  Cam's problem now, today, is his smug superior nature.  Sure, he can still play, and probably will. Just not at a high level like in his first five years. Some QBs mature gracefully, learn their strengths, and get better as they gain experience. Not Cam. He improved for 4-5 years and then has gradually declined. He never learned his place. Too busy being the gentleman, laid back lothario (with no suggestion of sexual impropriety...).... it's his attitude to which I am referring.

In any event,  I believe that Cam will hook on with a team somewhere. I think he has a couple of years left as a serviceable QB before he hangs it up (or no team wants him..). I fully expect a team to take a chance and give him some sort of a "prove it" contract.  We'll see.

In thinking about how Cam's situation has been "handled", I am not certain it could have been done any differently while achieving the same goals. As we look at it today, Cam is still on the Panthers. He hasn't been traded, released, or terminated. The team has given him the option to solicit a new team, to look for a "deal" somewhere. They didn't have to do that.!! Meanwhile the Panthers are shopping him around also (I assume...). So maybe I don't understand all of the intricacies of player contracts.....but I ask sincerely....
What else should the Panthers have done.?? Give me some specifics......  I am sure that I don't know.  Short of keeping him around, what would have been a "better" way to handle this.??  Serious question..!!
The old "should have handled it better" statement, as trite as it is, is hauled out of mothballs any time we want to express our displeasure.... IMHO....  I just don't see it.  I am NOT picking on you 007...... Respectfully, with a VERY few exceptions (like Smitty maybe...) it seems to me the Panthers have handled personnel decisions very well.
We don't know what goes on behind closed doors, so it's impossible to say..... but..???

Anyway, Cam's future is squarely in Cam's hands. I really do hope he makes the best of it.!