GAME #1 -- FALCONS -- WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS.??
Started by Hobbit99

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

5 posts in this topic
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,764 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
09-12-2023, 09:10 PM -
Initially, I was sort of ambivalent about the whole game.  Then I went back through it and realized that there were several things worth noting. There were several players who deserve an "honorable mention" (that's as 'good' as it gets after a loss..). I'm going to mention Brian Burns, Chuba Hubbard, and Hayden Hurst. They all played decently. Burns was a FORCE. Hubbard was the best RB (by far..). Hurst is a machine and can take the punishment.

I'm still thinking about the rest.  Turnovers killed us. Falcons scored on turnovers. Without those scores, the Panthers win (easily..).  And YES, I realize there is no way to know for certain how each turnover would have affected the game, but still.....??

Our Defense has historically been very good. Sunday was much the same. Except for Bijan Robinson. That guy looks good (so far..). Reminds me of Christian McCaffrey, only bigger.

Our O-line held up very well. No sacks allowed in the 1st half, while we had four. Young had ALL DAY to look things over. No excuses allowed there. Young is going to have to make his reads quicker, MUCH quicker. Across the league, the "good" QBs get rid of the ball in about three seconds (+ or -). Example Tom Brady's average across his entire career was less than three seconds. Many plays on Sunday took five seconds or more to get a throw off. NOT acceptable.
This post was last modified: 09-12-2023, 09:12 PM by Hobbit99.
"A Reasoned Response From A Reasonable Mind"
Josh21
Posting Freak

1,192 posts 63 threads Joined: Dec 2019
09-12-2023, 09:59 PM -
We ran well, Bryce threw the ball away instead of sacks, our ol held up (1 sack). If wrs step up we are good to go.
This post was last modified: 09-12-2023, 10:01 PM by Josh21.
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,157 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
09-15-2023, 10:47 AM -
My thoughts, even during the game, was that the team overall seemed under enthused. Even Bryce Young. I mean, I didn't want him to come out there with happy feet, and for his first NFL game, he did okay and made mostly good decisions, but there was no sense of urgency on the team at any point during the game.

And yes, we need wide receivers.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,764 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
09-15-2023, 12:17 PM -
(09-15-2023, 10:47 AM)PantherFan007 Wrote: My thoughts, even during the game, was that the team overall seemed under enthused.  Even Bryce Young.  I mean, I didn't want him to come out there with happy feet, and for his first NFL game, he did okay and made mostly good decisions, but there was no sense of urgency on the team at any point during the game.

And yes, we need wide receivers.

Hmm....Well-ll........ I would contend that we HAVE Wide Receivers. Plenty of them actually. Everyone just needs to learn to "play nice" with each other, AND Young needs to learn that "3-4 seconds" MEANS "3-4 seconds". NOT 5,6 - 8 seconds.  The pocket doesn't last forever. It develops, holds, and collapses around 3.5 - 4 seconds. If your QB still has the ball and is 'dancing', well..... Do NOT blame it on the O-line.!!
CoolDance ("Happy Feet")
"A Reasoned Response From A Reasonable Mind"
Firstchance

715 posts 81 threads Joined: Dec 2019
09-15-2023, 08:56 PM -
Lifeless? I don’t know. Thought the online played better in pass pro than I have seen in years. Bryce was very very very well protected and just simply didn’t get the job done. I have said before a good high school qb could have completed more than his 50%…: he just looked uncertain. I thought our run game was good, especially Hubbard, don’t think I have ever said that… defensive was better than just good for three quarters and then not very good for one, it was like they lost gas.

Had young performed on an average level early on I think we could have and probably would have a different outcome. I just don’t see Bryce being a big league qb… stroud was the best shot this year, maybe a number 10
Pick, several guys first round worthy this year..:but we in bed with Bryce. Scary.
This post was last modified: 09-16-2023, 05:10 AM by Firstchance.
Josh21
Posting Freak

1,192 posts 63 threads Joined: Dec 2019
09-15-2023, 09:49 PM -
I think he’ll get much better. The ints aside, he made good reads, threw the ball away 4-5 times, n was decisive. 1 sack. Did fine IMHO. Still expect more next week.

I loved the d, especially first half.
This post was last modified: 09-15-2023, 09:51 PM by Josh21.