Started by Hobbit99

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

7 posts in this topic
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,764 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
01-09-2024, 12:39 PM -
I'm one of those people who like to be "on the record."  There is a lot of 'change' happening with the team. New faces. New management. A new direction. Everyone has jumped on the "fire 'em all" train. You got your wish.!!

So, now it's time to go 'ON THE RECORD".  What does "success" (for the Panthers) look like next year.???

WHO do you want for a HC.??

WHO for a GM.??

WHAT is an acceptable W-L record in 2024.??
Huh
"A Reasoned Response From A Reasonable Mind"
Firstchance

715 posts 81 threads Joined: Dec 2019
01-09-2024, 02:45 PM -
There are numerous individuals I would be happy with. Both from a coaching and a gm position.

I do like the combo of Johnson Agnew… sounds like a political ticket though.

Acceptable W-L next year. Could easily be 0-17 for me IF I see us positioning ourselves so that we can be competitive year in and year out in the near future. Winning 4 or 5 games over the next three or four or five years doesn’t cut it for me. I want a solid and then expanding foundation and I don’t think we are anywhere close… but, it’s just my opinion.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

01-09-2024, 03:20 PM -
Okay... I'll go first...  Oops, second.!!

What does "success" for the Panthers look like next year.???

In general, it's hard to quantify "success." So, let's look at the questions.....

1) HC = My preference here would be Jim Harbaugh. I know he is not universally liked. I know he is an egoist.  But, I also know he is a proven winner. No matter where he goes, he wins. Just took Michigan to a National Championship. Knows the NFL. Former NFL QB (14-15 years). Former NFL HC. Top 5 winning percentage all-time in the NFL. The Panthers NEED a winner. Have to break out of this 'dungeon' we are in. I don't care about all of the visionary stuff. Let the reporters scream.  It's time to put a winning team on the field. --- Jim Harbaugh ---

2) GM = This one is more difficult.  I want a guy with experience. And I want someone who wants to be here. I also want a 'smart guy'.  It would be nice to have someone with a connection to the Panthers...or at least a connection to the Carolinas. All of that would "check the boxes", but might be impossible to find.  As of right now, we have several "smart guys" on the list. We also have several with significant experience in FO personnel and player management.  I'm leaning toward Champ Kelly. I also like Brandt Tilis and Alec Halaby. There are others who might be better. I would love to have Dan Morgan if he's not too close to the players.

3) W-L record = I have a "short-term" goal here. And since the question is about next year, I'll use it for my "short-term" answer.  We've been "suffering" long enough. It's past time to break out. My "success gauge" for 2024 is ----- "a winning season". Since we play a 17 game season, that means we would need at least 9 wins. That's a lot coming out of a 2-win season. Initially, next years schedule looks a little tougher than this past year. But as everyone knows, the "strength of schedule" fluctuates wildly as the off-season progresses. And continues to fluctuate as teams lose players in FA, start unknown players, and suffer injuries. I think we can do it...

OKAY... Your turn.!!
CoolDance
This post was last modified: 01-09-2024, 03:27 PM by Hobbit99.
Ladypanther

481 posts 77 threads Joined: Oct 2023
01-09-2024, 08:40 PM -
1) First I would consider it a success if the Teppers were only in the news for some great community service programs they created/contributed to.  And, if they step back and let football people run the team.
Tepper must not pick the GM or HC. 

Part 2 of the above....the front office structure is completely reorganized.

2) Do not want Harbaugh..too much drama.  SF was winning and they grew tired of it/him.  The players did not like him.  Not sure how he was able to keep coaching with the stuff he pulled at MI.  We need excitement on the field due to the players..not drama off the field due to the owner or HC.

3) Not sure who I want for HC.  Ben Johnson sounds good. He is obviously a very good OC. Sometimes that translates and sometimes it does not.  I want who the football people like...not who Tepper gets blown away by in an interview. ( Also, please...no Teppers in any interviews)

4) Again...deferring to smart people for the GM position.  My heart would love to see Dan Morgan get it and turn into a Brian Beane type.  But, as long as Tepper is not making the decision, I am good.

I know there seems to be a theme to things....lol.

Wins...would love to see a few.  Houston looked like a joke the last few years and look at them now.  Don't want to finish last in the NFC South.
Firstchance

715 posts 81 threads Joined: Dec 2019
01-09-2024, 09:54 PM -
But Nicole has to be there, right. I mean she is Nicole.
lol.
OceanPanther

107 posts 12 threads Joined: Mar 2020
01-10-2024, 11:54 AM -
(01-09-2024, 08:40 PM)Ladypanther Wrote: 1) First I would consider it a success if the Teppers were only in the news for some great community service programs they created/contributed to.  And, if they step back and let football people run the team.

2) Do not want Harbaugh..too much drama.  SF was winning and they grew tired of it/him.  The players did not like him.  Not sure how he was able to keep coaching with the stuff he pulled at MI.  We need excitement on the field due to the players..not drama off the field due to the owner or HC.

3) Not sure who I want for HC.  Ben Johnson sounds good. He is obviously a very good OC. Sometimes that translates and sometimes it does not.  I want who the football people like...not who Tepper gets blown away by in an interview. ( Also, please...no Teppers in any interviews)

4) Again...deferring to smart people for the GM position.  My heart would love to see Dan Morgan get it and turn into a Brian Beane type.  But, as long as Tepper is not making the decision, I am good.

Wins...would love to see a few.  Houston looked like a joke the last few years and look at them now.  Don't want to finish last in the NFC South.

If Tepper isn't picking the GM , who does ?   Yes,  I understand the desire for him not to be any part of football operations.   Kristi Coleman ? 
I can't see her picking the next GM without Tepper involvement . 

I have no idea who I''d want as GM or why .  Getting a veteran like Bill Polian  isn't going to happen again. Is there a retired GM who is still competent enough ,  that would come back if Tepper paid him enough ?  He/She is my choice.

I don't have the concerns with Harbaugh that you do.  Will all players like him or any coach, no.  But we need something solid that will turn this franchise around.  Hiring another  OC or DC with no experience , based  on what head coach he coached under is very  "iffy"  to me.  

I have no idea about wins ..   I know we need to  be able to score TD's  and we didn't do that this past season.  We have had 6 bad seasons. We are the current doormat of the NFL
Ladypanther

481 posts 77 threads Joined: Oct 2023
01-10-2024, 11:57 AM -
(01-10-2024, 11:54 AM)OceanPanther Wrote:
(01-09-2024, 08:40 PM)Ladypanther Wrote: 1) First I would consider it a success if the Teppers were only in the news for some great community service programs they created/contributed to.  And, if they step back and let football people run the team.

If Tepper isn't picking the GM , who does ?   Yes,  I understand the desire for him not to be any part of football operations.   Kristi Coleman ? 
I can't see her picking the next GM without Tepper involvement . 

I have no idea who I''d want as GM or why .  Getting a veteran like Bill Polian  isn't going to happen again. Is there a retired GM who is still competent enough ,  that would come back if Tepper paid him enough ?  He/She is my choice.

I don't have the concerns with Harbaugh that you do.  Will all players like him or any coach, no.  But we need something solid that will turn this franchise around.  Hiring another  OC or DC with no experience , based  on what head coach he coached under is very  "iffy"  to me.  

I have no idea about wins ..   I know we need to  be able to score TD's  and we didn't do that this past season.  We have had 6 bad seasons. We are the current doormat of the NFL

His new search/consultant group
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

01-10-2024, 01:04 PM -
The "search/consultant group" is a good idea. However, I would contend that their purpose is to 'recommend' not 'select'. The problem occurs because the consultancy group IS a "group". They exist as a business entity for the purpose of making money. (I THINK I'm right about this.??). In other words, those folks do not exist as an 'ad hoc' group of individuals who were brought together for a purpose. They exist as an entity to sell their services to any team (all teams) who make a request. Consequently, they represent 'no-one and every-one' at the same time. Tremendous chance for impropriety and/or a conflict of interest.

It will be interesting to see how they are utilized.