Panthers not retaining Tabor; Campen
Started by BlackCatzFan

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

8 posts in this topic
BlackCatzFan

370 posts 43 threads Joined: Dec 2019
01-26-2024, 08:32 PM -
Per the Charlotte Observer, the team, or coach Canales, has parted ways with Tabor and Campen.  

https://amp.charlotteobserver.com/sports...53896.html
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,156 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
01-26-2024, 08:36 PM -
Sorry to hear that, I thought both were good coaches. But, as always, new Head Coaches want to select their own staff.
Ladypanther

481 posts 77 threads Joined: Oct 2023
01-26-2024, 09:23 PM -
There were reports that Tabor was part of the Hunger Games stuff.  Campens' online was awful...maybe not his fault?? but.......

Got to wonder how much of these decisions were Dan Morgan recommendations. He knew what was going on and I would think given their history Canales trusts him.
Josh21
Posting Freak

1,192 posts 63 threads Joined: Dec 2019
01-26-2024, 11:03 PM -
Hope Eviro stays.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,763 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
01-27-2024, 04:48 PM -
Nothing surprises me these days.  Chris Tabor is a terrific Special Teams coach. And all ST coaches have an above average grasp of TEAM fundamentals. I think choosing him for the Interim HC position was a smart move. Unfortunately, almost no-one survives a team "purge" like the one happening in Charlotte. 

Campen has a good history as a Line Coach. When you have an injury 'pandemic' like the Panthers suffered last year, even a good coach can become a statistic while trying to shepherd a mis-matched, unbalanced, untested group of guys with little or no experience. As the dominoes continued to fall, it was obvious that Campen had nothing to work with -- and no time to "mold" a unit.

Unfair..??  Yes.

Still, it's a fact of life in the NFL. When sweeping systemic changes occur, a lot of good people get tossed on the trash heap. I would like to keep Ejiro Evero as DC, but the rest of the staff are probably just biding time waiting for a good house-cleaning.
This post was last modified: 01-27-2024, 04:51 PM by Hobbit99.
"A Reasoned Response From A Reasonable Mind"
Ladypanther

481 posts 77 threads Joined: Oct 2023
01-28-2024, 01:20 PM -
Well...this is bad.....

Panthers owner David Tepper had eyes and ears in the locker room

On Friday, the Carolina Panthers fired offensive line coach James Campen, who had been with the team since 2022. The team’s offensive line struggled and could not protect Bryce Young, the first pick of the 2023 NFL Draft. Many of Carolina’s blockers have not met expectations. I’m also told Campen made a few enemies within the organization, as he was the eyes and ears for owner David Tepper in the locker room. In fact, sources at Shrine practice Saturday told me that Tepper had more than a few people in the locker room who would report back to him on the goings on, which destroyed team chemistry.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/nfl/news-ins...mpressions

Supposedly Tabor was also one of those guys.  Some have speculated Brown too.

The fact that they have been fired is encouraging....Tepper not protecting them.  But Tepper has found so many ways to prove he is the worst owner in football and an embarrassment to the team/fans.
Josh21
Posting Freak

1,192 posts 63 threads Joined: Dec 2019
01-28-2024, 06:41 PM -
(01-28-2024, 01:20 PM)Ladypanther Wrote: Well...this is bad.....

On Friday, the Carolina Panthers fired offensive line coach James Campen, who had been with the team since 2022. The team’s offensive line struggled and could not protect Bryce Young, the first pick of the 2023 NFL Draft. Many of Carolina’s blockers have not met expectations. I’m also told Campen made a few enemies within the organization, as he was the eyes and ears for owner David Tepper in the locker room. In fact, sources at Shrine practice Saturday told me that Tepper had more than a few people in the locker room who would report back to him on the goings on, which destroyed team chemistry.

The fact that they have been fired is encouraging....Tepper not protecting them.  But Tepper has found so many ways to prove he is the worst owner in football and an embarrassment to the team/fans.

That’s a pretty crappy situation, if true.  Maybe Dan will nip that in the butt.
Firstchance

715 posts 81 threads Joined: Dec 2019
01-28-2024, 08:57 PM -

That is hitting the mail on the head, an embarrassment not only to the team and fans but I would add to the league itself. 
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,156 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
01-29-2024, 06:14 AM -

So that's why Tabor was bumped up so far above everyone else as "Interim Head Coach".  And yeah, it definitely shows Tepper has zero loyalty to his ring-kissers.  Whistling