BEN JOHNSON OPTING OUT AND TAKING FLAK ++ BAD INTERVIEWS.??
Started by Hobbit99

Rate this topic
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average

15 posts in this topic
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,764 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
02-03-2024, 10:58 AM -
(02-03-2024, 10:25 AM)Ladypanther Wrote:
(02-03-2024, 09:37 AM)Hobbit99 Wrote: There is now some additional word from Garafolo about the Ben Johnson process...

It seems that Johnson was not interviewing well. Whether it was an attitude problem or just lack of interest, he apparently was not presenting himself as the HC candidate who teams were in search of.  Looking more and more as if the Panthers dodged a bullet with the Johnson candidacy.
Maybe we got it right...  Praying

CAT CRAVE:  Panthers Got Lucky?? -- NO Ben Johnson

That's interesting.  Meanwhile, Washington went from looking like they were going to get the pick of the litter but instead had to settle for a retread that no one else wanted. They will put a good spin on it but I imagine their fans are disappointed and Peters might be saying..."what did I do?"

Yep... Peters is an interesting case for certain.  The one guy who really makes me wonder is Vrabel.  Not too old; experienced; nothing really BAD (that I know of..).  This whole round of HC selections has been a bit....strange..??
This post was last modified: 02-04-2024, 04:04 PM by Hobbit99.
"A Reasoned Response From A Reasonable Mind"
Firstchance

715 posts 81 threads Joined: Dec 2019
02-04-2024, 09:13 AM -
The assumption was that it was the “fault” of Ben Johnson… well that might not be the case. Seems there IS always two sides to every story. Reading today the the interview went sideways because Johnson viewed the commanders as wanting to run it like an NBA team… seems like because Magic Johnson wanted to get highly involved. NFL is not the NBA…. Reports are reports and it probably just wasn’t a good fit for. Either party.
Ladypanther

481 posts 77 threads Joined: Oct 2023
02-04-2024, 11:08 AM -
(02-03-2024, 10:58 AM)Hobbit99 Wrote:
(02-03-2024, 10:25 AM)Ladypanther Wrote:
(02-03-2024, 09:37 AM)Hobbit99 Wrote: There is now some additional word from Garafolo about the Ben Johnson process...

It seems that Johnson was not interviewing well. Whether it was an attitude problem or just lack of interest, he apparently was not presenting himself as the HC candidate who teams were in search of.  Looking more and more as if the Panthers dodged a bullet with the Johnson candidacy.
Maybe we got it right...  Praying

CAT CRAVE:  Panthers Got Lucky?? -- NO Ben Johnson

That's interesting.  Meanwhile, Washington went from looking like they were going to get the pick of the litter but instead had to settle for a retread that no one else wanted. They will put a good spin on it but I imagine their fans are disappointed and Peters might be saying..."what did I do?"

Yep... Peters is an interesting case for certain.  The one guy who really makes me wonder is Vrabel.  Not too old; experienced; nothing really BAD (that I know of..).  This whole round of HC selections have been a bit....strange..??

Yea, I wonder about Vrabel too. Seems that he had conflict with the front office/gm in Tn.  Maybe he wanted too much control?  The trend seems to be moving away from that.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,764 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
02-05-2024, 06:55 AM -
(02-04-2024, 09:13 AM)Firstchance Wrote: The assumption was that it was the “fault” of Ben Johnson… well that might not be the case.  Seems there IS always two sides to every story. Reading today the the interview went sideways because Johnson viewed the commanders as wanting to run it like an NBA team… seems like because Magic Johnson wanted to get highly involved. NFL is not the NBA…. Reports are reports and it probably just wasn’t a good fit for. Either party.

Somehow... there may be a little misunderstanding here.  Whatever the reason, Dan Snider; Josh Harris; Magic Johnson, Eric Schmidt, Marc Lipshultz, Doug Ostrover, et al......, there could be any number of "reasons" for Ben Johnson to have decided to stay with the Lions. It's only partly about his "opting out", again. It's mostly about the fact that he waited until the Commanders executives were in the air on a flight to Detroit before he notified them that he wasn't going to "DO" the interview. Too late to reorganize the time, hours and schedules screwed up, multiple aircraft seats wasted, fuel costs, time and energy.... A complete and total "cluster...." that did NOT have to occur. Ben Johnson is the ONLY one responsible for this. 

He could have easily made the "cancellation" call an hour or two earlier, avoiding all of this time and expense wasted and a large portion of embarrassment for himself......

Completely unprofessional. He can "opt out" for any reason. Doesn't matter. He doesn't even need a reason. It's a choice, his choice. -----   Just don't waste everyone's time and energy; aircraft seats and fuel; screwed up schedules, etc., etc.   ALL because he wanted to show everyone that HE was in control.

Very, VERY poor form....
This post was last modified: 02-05-2024, 07:15 AM by Hobbit99.
"A Reasoned Response From A Reasonable Mind"
Firstchance

715 posts 81 threads Joined: Dec 2019
02-05-2024, 04:29 PM -
Not exactly sure if this timing??? But it should be noted that the Commanders not only had an interview with Johnson but also with Aaron Glenn so they were coming to Detroit anyways. Wasn’t like it was a wasted trip.

Of course my only thoughts, there are generally two sides to every thing and media paints it their way.

Peace ☮️
Ladypanther

481 posts 77 threads Joined: Oct 2023
02-05-2024, 07:43 PM -
(02-05-2024, 04:29 PM)Firstchance Wrote: Not exactly sure if this timing??? But it should be noted that the Commanders not only had an interview with Johnson but also with Aaron Glenn so they were coming to Detroit anyways. Wasn’t like it was a wasted trip.

Of course my only thoughts, there are generally two sides to every thing and media paints it their way.

Peace ☮️

Washington might not have sent the same people....certainly would have made a diff schedule.  Word is they found out on twitter before Johnson informed them.

"“I like Ben. A year ago, he knew he wasn’t ready,” one high-ranking executive with another team texted. “I get a feeling he still thinks he needs time. Who knows? But to break (the decision) while they were in the air is a poor choice.”

Whatever the theory, league sources, whether they cared about Washington’s plight or not, shared one unified sentiment: The Commanders got screwed.

“Outrageous. Simply outrageous,” said a league source familiar with the situation. “That’s not how you conduct business. It is how you ruin your reputation.”

https://theathletic.com/5242976/2024/02/...dan-quinn/