???...IS STEPHON GILMORE ON HIS WAY BACK...???
Started by Hobbit99

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

3 posts in this topic
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,764 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
03-26-2024, 03:58 PM -
WORD ON THE STREET...

It COULD happen.  The latest word 'around and about' has the Panthers reaching out to Free Agent Stephon Gilmore for a possible return to the Panthers. Gilmore played only one year here in 2021 before leaving for the Indianapolis Colts. Despite only playing here a short time, he was a Pro Bowl selection that year. I never understood why we let Gilmore walk away in 2022. GOOD, SOLID player.  YES, he's aging, but he was a good  Cornerback and a solid personality on the team..  Might have been a "money" issue, I guess.

After a decent year in Indianapolis, he was traded to Dallas last year. He started all seventeen games for Dallas, playing 94% of the teams Defensive snaps.

PANTHERS WIRE:  Joe Person (The Athletic) Says Panthers 'Reaching Out' To  Stephon Gilmore

NBC--PRO FOOTBALL TALK:  Panthers Still Looking For A CB -- Stephon Gilmore..???

BLEACHER REPORT:  Panthers Looking To Former Player, CB Stephon Gilmore

He is not young, but he IS still effective. I liked him when he was here. Actually, I was sort of impressed with him.  IF this was to happen, it would not bother me at all.
"A Reasoned Response From A Reasonable Mind"
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,157 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
03-27-2024, 08:07 AM -
As "old" as he was, he was still better than most of what we had. He was certainly a huge upgrade over CJ Henderson. "IF" we can get one good year out of him, though, I would expect to see him retire at the end of that contract.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,764 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
03-27-2024, 11:28 AM -
(03-27-2024, 08:07 AM)PantherFan007 Wrote: As "old" as he was, he was still better than most of what we had.  He was certainly a huge upgrade over CJ Henderson.  "IF" we can get one good year out of him, though, I would expect to see him retire at the end of that contract.

Yep, I agree...  Right now, we need another good CB during this 'transition' phase for the new HC and F.O.  I feel good about our direction, but we need to solidify our positional talent for the short term while allowing the young guys to develop.  It's going to be a delicate balancing act. Gilmore is 33 Y.O.. I think he has several years left (2-3 maybe ??) if he wants to continue playing. I would not want to draw a line in the sand and write him off on a certain date. If he wants to play, and he continues to be successful and useful, then keep him available and use him. Gilmore has a talent we need. Let's give him a chance, then decide.......
"A Reasoned Response From A Reasonable Mind"
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,157 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
03-27-2024, 07:37 PM -
(03-27-2024, 11:28 AM)Hobbit99 Wrote:
(03-27-2024, 08:07 AM)PantherFan007 Wrote: As "old" as he was, he was still better than most of what we had.  He was certainly a huge upgrade over CJ Henderson.  "IF" we can get one good year out of him, though, I would expect to see him retire at the end of that contract.

Yep, I agree...  Right now, we need another good CB during this 'transition' phase for the new HC and F.O.  I feel good about our direction, but we need to solidify our positional talent for the short term while allowing the young guys to develop.  It's going to be a delicate balancing act. Gilmore is 33 Y.O.. I think he has several years left (2-3 maybe ??) if he wants to continue playing. I would not want to draw a line in the sand and write him off on a certain date. If he wants to play, and he continues to be successful and useful, then keep him available and use him. Gilmore has a talent we need. Let's give him a chance, then decide.......

We also need a veteran presence.  I watched the Kristin Balboni/Luke Kuechly interview today, and he talked a bunch about the importance of having a veteran presence amongst the players.