Started by Firstchance

Rate this topic
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

16 posts in this topic
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

3,001 posts 559 threads Joined: Dec 2019
08-26-2024, 04:17 AM -
Our TE room is solid. We have a couple of vested veterans in there who will not make the team, so they will be a straight release to Free Agency or a trade. I can't see us getting anything for them, so I expect they'll just hit the streets. Left with four TEs after cuts. Ian Thomas is the only one up in the air, I think. We've been holding him for a couple of years now... not sure why. Decent blocker, but no real output. Although he has caught a few passes this year..??? So, Ian Thomas... Leave or stay.?? Anyone have a coin.??

Edge guys are still a bit suspect. With D.J. Wonnum and Amare Barno on PUP, there is no room for error or injury early in the season. We have a decent stable when everyone is healthy, but some of the currently healthy ones are more nags than Thorobreds. Depending on what we actually KNOW about Wonnum and Barno, I could see us adding another Edge guy if a decent one shows up on the waiver wire.

Our D-Line guys are plentiful. We have 13 or 14 guys fighting for three (3) positions and backups. A bunch of them are going to leave, but I feel certain that we have more than enough.

ILBs are one of our strongest positions talent-wise. We have eight on the roster and I suspect we'll carry four or five. So, nothing happening here (except cuts causing some consternation).

That just leaves the DBs (Defensively..). This is our biggest room. We currently have 17 DBs; 9 CBs and 8 Safetys. The odds would seem to indicate that we have everything we need. Yeah, but I'm not so sure....  Of the 9 CBs only Chris Wilcox and Willie Drew are sure cuts, based on prep and stats and snaps. It seems like Canales has been openly confusing the situation. At least, I have NO IDEA what we're going to do with 7 CBs. Hey.. Over there, you with the axe, bring it over here will ya. We have some chopping to do. Of the 8 Safeties, there is only one I am unfamiliar with. That would be Rudy Ford. --- And to a lesser extent, Alex Cook. Although truthfully, Cook has played some decent ball so far when he has been on the field. So, of the 17 DBs, we will probably keep 9 or 10. I'm leaning toward 9 -- although with Horn's injury history there is room for some caution here.

QBs are set. Plummer will be on the PS if no one grabs him.

RBs look good... if you don't look too close at Miles Sanders. Another one is leaving (Jaden Shirden), and the 3 remaining  are locks, I think. I'm NOT counting Jonathon Brooks because well, .... you know.... NFI, surgical knee, rehab and recovery, etc., etc.  When Brooks comes back, we'll probably look at dumping another one of these guys (Watch Out Miles..).

WRs --- SMH ... Why is there so much grieving and teeth gnashing, and complaining about our WRs.?? We'll be fine  (all 10 of them..). I'm thinking we will carry 6 on the roster. So four of these dudes are going to get the axe.  

O-Line is a question. We have 16 O-linemen.  2 Cs, 6 OTs, and 8 Gs. I think we will carry about 10. Some of these guys will be "universal fit" type of players. So that means about six of our current O-Line guys will hit the streets.  

Now some of these guys (about 17 of them) will come back to the PS.  If another team scoops some of them, we'll just replace them with someone else. 

If I were a betting man, I would bet on the Panthers picking up two (2) guys off of the waiver wire. Of course, there will be quite a few vested veteran FAs out there too, so maybe a 3rd guy.??  SO --- Don't think of our 53 roster as 53 players.  If we add 3 from waivers and FAs that means we have to have room for them. So our initial 53 will really be our initial 50 instead. If you subtract 3 ST guys and the 2 QBs, that leaves us 45 guys who we can "flex" around different positions and groups. 

Of course -- If we DON'T add the guys from Waivers and FA,  well then, there are 3 more of our current guys we can add to the pile. 
Joker
"A Reasoned Response From A Reasonable Mind"
Ladypanther

611 posts 115 threads Joined: Oct 2023
08-26-2024, 10:25 AM -
The Observer uniquely has the team keeping 7 WRs with ISM being out.

I think Plummer makes the PS.  I can't see another team wanting him on their 53.  I also would think he would really want to stay with Canales.

Morgan has been saying for a long time that the team will take advantage of being 1st on the waiver wire. I guess what position gets picked up depends on who becomes available. Fitt was famous for saying "In on every deal."  Dan's approach is "We are always looking to make our team better", and "We've got to build for the future."

Dan seems more disciplined and I like the way he has handled things so far.  Will be an interesting week.
This post was last modified: 08-26-2024, 12:05 PM by Ladypanther. Edit Reason: typo
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

08-26-2024, 11:28 AM -
(08-26-2024, 10:25 AM)Ladypanther Wrote: The Observer uniquely has the team keeping 7 WRs with ISM being out.

I think Plummer makes the PS.  I can't see another team wanting him on their 53.  I also would think he would really want to stay with Canales.

Morgan has been saying or a long time that the team will take advantage of being 1st on the waiver wire. I guess what position gets picked up depends on who becomes available. Fitt was famous for saying "In on every deal."  Dan's approach is "We are always looking to make our team better", and "We've got to build for the future."

Dan seems more disciplined and I like the way he has handled things so far.  Will be an interesting week.

TRUTH... madame soothsayer.  "You have spoken, truthfully" -- With apologies to the Grail Knight (Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade).

Quote:Grail Knight: " ... He has chosen...poorly. ...You have chosen, ...wisely. But, beware: The Grail cannot pass beyond the Great Seal. That is the boundary, and the price of immortality."

I am not certain why the Observer (or anyone else) would make such assumptions. Of course, they probably know a lot more about the current state of affairs than I do. So, there's that....
Bag
This post was last modified: 08-26-2024, 11:29 AM by Hobbit99.
Ladypanther

611 posts 115 threads Joined: Oct 2023
08-26-2024, 12:08 PM -
(08-26-2024, 11:28 AM)Hobbit99 Wrote: I am not certain why the Observer (or anyone else) would make such assumptions. Of course, they probably know a lot more about the current state of affairs than I do. So, there's that....
Bag

Maybe they just have a tough time making tough decisions.  Easier to sit behind a keyboard.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

08-26-2024, 01:23 PM -
(08-26-2024, 12:08 PM)Ladypanther Wrote:
(08-26-2024, 11:28 AM)Hobbit99 Wrote: I am not certain why the Observer (or anyone else) would make such assumptions. Of course, they probably know a lot more about the current state of affairs than I do. So, there's that....
Bag

Maybe they just have a tough time making tough decisions.  Easier to sit behind a keyboard.

Yeah .... I'll have to remember that. I'll keep a bucket of water handy -- in case my keyboard starts to smoke.  

But, you're right. They (whomever wrote that...) is entitled to their opinion. Just like all of us fans are.  My comment was pointed toward the fact that we (Panthers..) haven't kept 7 WRs on our 53 for years. In fact, I can't remember when...(Maybe once in the past 8-10 years.?? Not saying it didn't happen, just can't remember it happening..). Throw that in with Canales and Morgan both alluding to a 'smash-mouth' running attack.... Well, it makes you wonder... ???????
This post was last modified: 08-26-2024, 01:27 PM by Hobbit99.
Josh21
Posting Freak

1,290 posts 66 threads Joined: Dec 2019
08-26-2024, 10:20 PM -
I typed out a whole roster cut list. Didn’t send it…. Basically looking for maybe te, Idl, olb, cb n ps.
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,299 posts 742 threads Joined: Dec 2019
08-27-2024, 05:43 AM -
(08-26-2024, 10:25 AM)Ladypanther Wrote: The Observer uniquely has the team keeping 7 WRs with ISM being out.

Morgan has been saying for a long time that the team will take advantage of being 1st on the waiver wire. I guess what position gets picked up depends on who becomes available. Fitt was famous for saying "In on every deal."  Dan's approach is "We are always looking to make our team better", and "We've got to build for the future."

Agreed.  I'm seriously starting to buy into what Dave Canales is selling.    But, in his presser yesterday, he did say it's possible they might keep as many as seven wide receivers (or as few as four), but I think Smith-Marsette makes the 53 man roster.
This post was last modified: 08-27-2024, 05:43 AM by PantherFan007.