Biggest Non-Panther Non-Story Ever?
Started by coffee

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

3 posts in this topic
coffee

238 posts 24 threads Joined: Dec 2019
05-24-2022, 07:01 AM -
Just waiting to hear on Deshaun Watson's suspension and thinking about how much this non-Panther has influenced our thoughts over the last year plus.

• Panthers were consistently considered the best guess where he'd end up.  Sometimes they were the only name associated with him.
  • We watched and wondered if he'd play against us last year or sit out
  • We worried that we'd have to face him twice per year if he chose the 'all-we-need-is-a-QB' Bucs
  • We worried that we'd have to face him twice per year if he chose his hometown Falcons
  • We worried that we'd have to face him twice per year if he chose the close enough to home Saints
  • Now we're watching and wondering if he'll be suspended for our opening game against Cleveland

Did I miss anything?

And this is a guy that is, never has been, and probably never will be a Panther ... or in our division ... or in our conference ... and that we didn't face last year and probably won't face this year.

Has any non-story/issue/player ever occupied Panther fans' attention this much?
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,769 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
05-24-2022, 02:10 PM -
Good Question....

I think you are correct..... And it's a real shame.  As Panthers fans we are so 'wrapped up' in QB talent to the extent we always "want" the league's 'best' QB to be on our team. "If only" .... we had ******* on our team. We'd win everything.   SMDH..

To a slightly lesser extent, we do the same thing with college players coming out for the draft.  Willing to throw away talent for the opportunity to "take a chance" on a no-snap college player. Veteran players are always getting kicked aside for the latest light bulb, glowing faintly in the fog.

No one considers the other players behind the QBs. Those really effective QBs have a wealth of talent around them. On a different team, maybe they are not nearly as effective.  Don't believe me.??  Just ask Trevor Lawrence. You remember him don't you.??  You know, last years famous Panther chant.... "Tank for Trevor.."????? Supposed to be a "generational talent". The 'best' and 'most ready' QB to hit the draft in ..... well, ... forever.??  So Jacksonville took him #1 overall. AND...the Jags also drafted a total of four (4..) 1st rounders the last two years (as well as 2nds and 3rds...etc., etc.)...  So, How has that worked out for them so far.?? Anyone want to 'bet the farm' on the Jaguars for this year...??

Sure a QB is important. Have to have a good one.  But it's NOT necessary to pursue Watson (or ANYONE like Watson..) to the detriment of the team. Without a TEAM.... you have no chance of success.
This post was last modified: 06-09-2022, 11:56 AM by Hobbit99.
coffee

238 posts 24 threads Joined: Dec 2019
05-25-2022, 06:54 AM -
I agree.

I rewatched the Jets game last night. I feel like it's the closest to a real sample of what we have with Darnold. CMC was available the whole game and the O-line held up fairly well for about 2/3 of the game. Of course he struggled during the other 1/3 but I was impressed with the rest. I had forgotten how well he did.

There were a handful of misses but even those passes were close and safe. There was one miscommunication with Robby but also one bomb to him for a TD. There were also a few drops that should've been completions. Darnold was sharp and decisive. I'm glad I rewatched. It makes me more intrigued to see if that is the QB that shows up with a better O-line.

I guess all of that is just a wordy way of saying I agree with your point of fixing the team and seeing what you've got before choosing what's behind curtain #2.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,769 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
05-25-2022, 02:33 PM -
(05-25-2022, 06:54 AM)coffee Wrote: I agree.

I rewatched the Jets game last night.  I feel like it's the closest to a real sample of what we have with Darnold.  CMC was available the whole game and the O-line held up fairly well for about 2/3 of the game.  Of course he struggled during the other 1/3 but I was impressed with the rest.  I had forgotten how well he did.

There were a handful of misses but even those passes were close and safe.  There was one miscommunication with Robby but also one bomb to him for a TD.  There were also a few drops that should've been completions.  Darnold was sharp and decisive.  I'm glad I rewatched.  It makes me more intrigued to see if that is the QB that shows up with a better O-line.

I guess all of that is just a wordy way of saying I agree with your point of fixing the team and seeing what you've got before choosing what's behind curtain #2.

Well spoken, my friend. Last year, we saw a quick peek at what was possible. We have the potential to be a good team. We need solid coaching and play calling. And we need a TEAM effort.