Started by Hobbit99

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

5 posts in this topic
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,769 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
06-02-2022, 12:33 PM -
In the past few days the Panthers have made a few moves around the Defensive End position. The DEs are a defining part of the 'pass-rush' part of the defensive game. Because of the proliferation of "spread" and "run and gun" style offenses, it has become necessary to add 'Edge' players who have speed and ability to disrupt offensive pass schemes. Now, after the FA period and the draft, it becomes more obvious where the coaching staff feels there is a need for 'improvement'.

The Panthers have announced that they have waived DE Joe Jackson. Jackson was a veteran guy who was drafted by the Cowboys and has also played with the Browns. The Panthers signed him back in February (I think..??). At any rate, he is now waived for other teams to take a crack at. It appears that he failed to impress the staff here as soon as the vets started OTAs. Not certain what the issues were. Maybe a general lack of conditioning, or possibly an 'attitude' problem...?? There certainly has NOT been time to evaluate playing ability at this point in the season.

Now, today, the Panthers have announced signing DE Drew Jordan. Jordan is a UDFA from this year's class. Jordan played four years at Duke and then a fifth year of eligibility at Michigan State (last year..). Have to wait and see what he brings to the table.

Panthers:  Panthers Sign DE  Drew Jordan
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,158 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
06-05-2022, 05:29 PM -
I read that the other day and thought 6-foot-3, 255-pound sounds more like a linebacker than a DE. What also got me about that signing is that when I went looking for highlight videos, I found a minute and twenty second "Hype" video, and that's about it. Hmm....
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

06-05-2022, 06:21 PM -
(06-05-2022, 05:29 PM)PantherFan007 Wrote: I read that the other day and thought 6-foot-3, 255-pound sounds more like a linebacker than a DE.  What also got me about that signing is that when I went looking for highlight videos, I found a minute and twenty second "Hype" video, and that's about it.  Hmm....

Yes---EXACTLY.

I shopped around looking for vids. There are a few around about a min or two (as you said..), but nothing to be found like a pre-draft highlight reel. SO.... He went undrafted (UDFA..). Not surprising....

I can't understand why we would add a guy like this without some game highlights or something to look at....especially after FIVE years of eligibility. ?????

And what happened with Joe Jackson.??  It's not like it is 1919 and some fans are shouting "Say it ain't so, Joe. Say it ain't so.!!"
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,158 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
06-11-2022, 05:55 PM -
Fblaugh Fblaugh Fblaugh
BlackCatzFan

370 posts 43 threads Joined: Dec 2019
06-13-2022, 09:26 PM -
Carolina meeting with Carlos Dunlop, would be a solid pickup..
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

06-14-2022, 01:10 AM -
(06-13-2022, 09:26 PM)BlackCatzFan Wrote: Carolina meeting with Carlos Dunlop, would be a solid pickup..

Thanks  BCF...... I missed this guy.

You're correct, he could be a solid rotational piece. Last year with Seattle he played only 38% of the defensive snaps, yet still managed 8 1/2 sacks along with 14 QB hits and 21 QB pressures. This to go along with 35 tackles (8 TFLs..) and 7 passes defended.

He was supposed to have a physical Monday and continue with meetings etc. today (Tuesday..). This is his 13th season in the NFL.... he's 33 Y.O.

So.... hard to tell how much he has left in the tank but just going by last year, he can certainly be effective on a rotational basis.
This post was last modified: 06-14-2022, 01:10 AM by Hobbit99.