Ok, Hypothetical roster moves….
Started by BlackCatzFan

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

8 posts in this topic
BlackCatzFan

370 posts 43 threads Joined: Dec 2019
08-30-2022, 08:27 PM -
Boredom strikes.  Only a short time til actual season.  But hey let’s play a game.  Now we’re at 53, here’s an interesting idea.  

Cowboys just cut all their backup QBs.  That means Dak is the only QB on the roster.  I say, trade Darnold and half his salary to Dallas, for a 5-6th rounder.  He’s currently hurt, yes.  But it’s a way to get value for a guy who won’t be here a year from now anyway.  Thoughts?  What say you?
Josh21
Posting Freak

1,192 posts 63 threads Joined: Dec 2019
08-30-2022, 11:07 PM -
Then who’s our qb 2 after 4 weeks? PJ’s a placeholder, as seen last year
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,764 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
08-31-2022, 05:25 AM -
(08-30-2022, 08:27 PM)BlackCatzFan Wrote: Boredom strikes.  Only a short time til actual season.  But hey let’s play a game.  Now we’re at 53, here’s an interesting idea.  

Cowboys just cut all their backup QBs.  That means Dak is the only QB on the roster.  I say, trade Darnold and half his salary to Dallas, for a 5-6th rounder.  He’s currently hurt, yes.  But it’s a way to get value for a guy who won’t be here a year from now anyway.  Thoughts?  What say you?

Hmm...Interesting. I'm sort of with Josh here. Seems like all that would do is get rid of Darnold. How would that help US right now.?? We would just be in the same position Dallas is in...   Huh
coffee

238 posts 24 threads Joined: Dec 2019
08-31-2022, 07:19 AM -
BCF, I'm on record as saying I like Darnold as QB2. I'm not happy that we're paying as high as we are for backup but we're also getting a deal right now on QB1 so it's a wash. We STILL haven't seen him with CMC and a decent O-line. With those two things, I really think he'd be the best bet to get us through if Baker is down for a game or two. Plus, he knows McAdoo's complex system. Any other QB we brought in would have to learn that awfully quick.

If we had a cheap, reliable #2, that would be smart and Fit would probably be all over it. So, you have a very good idea, but I think we're still better off keeping him as backup than we are if we move on, even if we get out of some of the salary.
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,157 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
08-31-2022, 07:31 AM -
If we could restructure Darnold's contract, it would be okay, but we are paying him WAY too much guaranteed money (if I am not mistaken). I'm wondering if it might not be more cost effective to place him on season ending IR and bring in Josh Rosen or someone as a backup.v
BlackCatzFan

08-31-2022, 09:28 AM -
Fool me once…..

Darnold doesn’t have me fooled. “QB2” I think he’s still expendable. I don’t think PJ is the greatest option, but honestly, I’d take him +draft picks over Darnold. If Baker goes down, using yalls scenario, we are right where we were predraft. Literally no change, with a whole lot of uncertainty. Darnold looks like Dexter Morgan, but just doesn’t slice it well in a tight spot like him. Darnold shows up for practice, and in a game once he’s pressured he is poor decision maker. My biggest issue is “what are we REALLY losing?” Starting experience, but also losing experience.

And to be honest, NO team loses their QB1 fresh out of a true rebuild(or in the middle of it like we are) and fares well. (I mean it’s been done before, but not with Darnold) Preseason and training camp are to make you feel good about the upcoming season, it’s propaganda. If Darnold didn’t have the guaranteed money, you can bet ya sweet cheeks that he’d be gone already. Look at Teddy, who is a better QB than Darnold.
This post was last modified: 08-31-2022, 09:30 AM by BlackCatzFan.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,764 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
08-31-2022, 05:44 PM -
(08-31-2022, 09:28 AM)BlackCatzFan Wrote: Fool me once…..

Darnold doesn’t have me fooled.  “QB2” I think he’s still expendable.  I don’t think PJ is the greatest option, but honestly, I’d take him +draft picks over Darnold.  If Baker goes down, using yalls scenario, we are right where we were predraft.  Literally no change, with a whole lot of uncertainty.  Darnold looks like Dexter Morgan, but just doesn’t slice it well in a tight spot like him.  Darnold shows up for practice, and in a game once he’s pressured he is poor decision maker.  My biggest issue is “what are we REALLY losing?”  Starting experience, but also losing experience. 

And to be honest, NO team loses their QB1 fresh out of a true rebuild(or in the middle of it like we are) and fares well.  (I mean it’s been done before, but not with Darnold) Preseason and training camp are to make you feel good about the upcoming season, it’s propaganda.  If Darnold didn’t have the guaranteed money, you can bet ya sweet cheeks that he’d be gone already.  Look at Teddy, who is a better QB than Darnold.

BCF--- Let me say here, you are not completely wrong.  As you mentioned Bridgewater, lets start there. He played for three seasons with the Vikings after being drafted. Sort of a "meh.." start. Then he had one year with the Saints, one year with the Panthers, and one year with the Broncos, and now he's with the Dolphins. So five (5) teams over seven years. Of those years, you could say that his time with the Panthers was his 'best". 3700+ yds, 69% completions, and 279 yds @ 5.3 YPC rushing. Not too shabby.!!  BUT, all the other years were not as good----- AND, why has he been changing teams like dirty underwear.??  Something's not right here..... Better than Darnold..???  Hmm.... Don't know about that.

Without Baker we would NOT be right where we were pre-draft. Pre-draft we had a very healthy Darnold, who alongside a healthy McCaffrey, was VERY effective. As far as the Mayfield vs. Darnold thing... Well, that's been decided for now. But just let me say, the difference between them is so slight as to be almost indecipherable....when you look at results and avoid the 'monkeyshine' business as propagated by the prognosticators---who are only fishing for "clicks". 

So, I think you're partly right. However, you "obviously" don't like Darnold, and that's okay. Nothing wrong with liking/DISliking someone, I guess.  But, I try to keep everything reality based. I think your dislike for Darnold is showing up in your bias.!!  He may not be a QB1, but he certainly can be effective, and his ability to move with the ball is significantly better than Mayfield. Where he ends up is still unknown. Have to wait and see I guess.

If you think I'm way off base here, let me know. With evidence, I am willing to admit I'm wrong and change my mind.
BlackCatzFan

08-31-2022, 09:33 PM -
I see what you’re saying, and I think you’re “overthinking” what I was saying. You added the part about a healthy Darnold, and took it literally that I meant BAKER over Darnold. I mean if QB1 goes down we would be in the exact same boat as predraft. (Still needing help but no worse off for wear) I don’t have a bias against Darnold. I couldn’t give a flying f….alcon? About who or what he has done or how he acts in my opinion on his abilities. All the nice guy stuff is great and I wish the best for all human beings, but when we are talking strictly “football” he makes poor decisions. Too many risky throws. I haven’t payed enough attention to Baker, honestly. Darnold did nothing in NYJ. He hasn’t done much to prove otherwise. That’s no fault of his. He hasn’t had the real chance yet.(coaching poor OLine, etc) Tbh I’m not really sold on Baker either, he hasn’t earned it yet. (Again, hasn’t had the chance yet). There’s nothing about like vs dislike, but more of ability and what they can do when then the ball is in play.

Your part about a healthy CMC is not really worth talking about, as CMC elevates people around him. He’s that good that when he’s not in, everyone is that bad. (Coaching anyone???)

Teddy is a cheap game manager. You’re also comparing backup stats to a starting QB Stat. But he’s still got a better TD:INT ratio than Darnold, he’s got a better rating. So with stats- I’d say he’s better. Again, not given a real chance. (No I don’t want Teddy either, he wouldn’t throw the deep ball)

Moral of the story, average QBs are what they are. And on below average teams like we are, they’re expendable. I feel draft capital is better than what he offers, really. Add that to poor coaching, and poor OLINE play, no one will succeed there.
coffee

238 posts 24 threads Joined: Dec 2019
08-31-2022, 10:11 PM -
(08-31-2022, 09:33 PM)BlackCatzFan Wrote: I see what you’re saying, and I think you’re “overthinking” what I was saying. You added the part about a healthy Darnold, and took it literally that I meant BAKER over Darnold.  I mean if QB1 goes down we would be in the exact same boat as predraft. (Still needing help but no worse off for wear) I don’t have a bias against Darnold.  I couldn’t give a flying f….alcon? About who or what he has done or how he acts in my opinion on his abilities.  All the nice guy stuff is great and I wish the best for all human beings, but when we are talking strictly “football” he makes poor decisions.  Too many risky throws.  I haven’t payed enough attention to Baker, honestly.  Darnold did nothing in NYJ. He hasn’t done much to prove otherwise.  That’s no fault of his.  He hasn’t  had the real chance yet.(coaching poor OLine, etc)  Tbh I’m not really sold on Baker either, he hasn’t earned it yet.  (Again, hasn’t had the chance yet). There’s nothing about like vs dislike, but more of ability and what they can do when then the ball is in play. 

Your part about a healthy CMC is not really worth talking about, as CMC elevates people around him.  He’s that good that when he’s not in, everyone is that bad.  (Coaching anyone???)

Teddy is a cheap game manager.  You’re also comparing backup stats to a starting QB Stat.  But he’s still got a better TD:INT ratio than Darnold, he’s got a better rating.  So with stats- I’d say he’s better.  Again, not given a real chance.  (No I don’t want Teddy either, he wouldn’t throw the deep ball)

Moral of the story, average QBs are what they are.  And on below average teams like we are, they’re expendable.  I feel draft capital is better than what he offers, really.  Add that to poor coaching, and poor OLINE play, no one will succeed there.

I've got nothing valuable to add.  Just thought "couldn't give a flying f....alcon" deserved a nod.