Started by Hobbit99

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

5 posts in this topic
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,763 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
09-26-2022, 03:26 PM -
Today, the Panthers have announced that LB Aaron Mosby has been waived. Not sure about the reasoning, but it opens up one spot on the 53 roster. Could be for someone else on the PS or for a new acquisition from another team (maybe..?), OR possibly for someone Designated To Return from IR.
(Darnold maybe..???)

Nothing official (yet) about the reasoning, just the announcement about Mosby.

PANTHERS.COM: Mosby Waived - One Spot Open On 53 Roster
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,156 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
09-27-2022, 05:06 AM -
I was wondering that when I read it last night. The first thought that came to my mind was they were looking to sign someone to help the Offensive Line "now".
PantherFan007
Administrator

09-27-2022, 12:27 PM -
Ah..... Okay, so it was in order to re-sign Daviyon Nixon to the Active Roster.  They didn't want another team from snatching him off the Practice Squad.

https://www.panthers.com/news/daviyon-ni...ive-roster

CHARLOTTE — Daviyon Nixon is back.

The 2021 fifth-round pick, who was elevated from the practice squad Sunday and played against the Saints, has been signed back to the 53-man roster.

Nixon was waived from the 53-man roster at initial cuts since he was caught in a deep defensive line room, and placed on the practice squad. He might have stayed there a bit longer, but a rules change may have necessitated signing him now.

For the last two years, as a COVID-19 measure, teams were able to protect four practice squad players per week to keep teams from poaching their developmental players. This year, that's unavailable, meaning another team would have been able to sign him if he stayed on the practice squad.

They waived linebacker Arron Mosby from the 53-man roster Monday to clear the roster
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

09-28-2022, 01:29 AM -
OKAY... So we get rid of UDFA Arron Mosby--Linebacker to sign a 5th round rookie to the 53....  Hmmm.. Rolleyes 

Of course, there is no accounting for individual taste. Even if we ARE short of back-up LBs...  Understand, I'm not saying anything bad about Daviyon...

C'est La Vie..!!
PantherFan007
Administrator

09-28-2022, 09:48 AM -
(09-28-2022, 01:29 AM)Hobbit99 Wrote: OKAY... So we get rid of UDFA Arron Mosby--Linebacker to sign a 5th round rookie to the 53....  Hmmm.. Rolleyes 

Of course, there is no accounting for individual taste. Even if we ARE short of back-up LBs...  Understand, I'm not saying anything bad about Daviyon...

C'est La Vie..!!

Huh? Huh 

Nixon is not a rookie.  He was drafted in the 5th Round of the 2021 NFL Draft.

He actually had a two-interception day vs the Ravens.

Just saying.

And I thought he did okay as a rotational guy.
This post was last modified: 09-28-2022, 09:49 AM by PantherFan007.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

09-28-2022, 03:22 PM -
(09-28-2022, 09:48 AM)PantherFan007 Wrote:
(09-28-2022, 01:29 AM)Hobbit99 Wrote: OKAY... So we get rid of UDFA Arron Mosby--Linebacker to sign a 5th round rookie to the 53....  Hmmm.. Rolleyes 

C'est La Vie..!!

Huh? Huh 

Nixon is not a rookie.  He was drafted in the 5th Round of the 2021 NFL Draft.

He actually had a two-interception day vs the Ravens.

Just saying.

And I thought he did okay as a rotational guy.

YES....of course.!!  You posted his info up there ^^^ (post #3), so no doubt you are correct. HOWEVER...I was not referring to his yearly (annual) status. A player can be drafted one year, not play for awhile, and I still consider them a "rookie" even though he had been drafted two years prior... in Nixon's case only ONE year.  So NO, Nixon is not really a rookie. Let's just call him "rookie(esque)." He played a few snaps last year, made one (1) tackle and had a few "assists". So far this year, he's made NO tackles and one "assist". He was also credited with half of a sack last year. 
THIS^^^ before he hurt his knee (or something..??) sometime in October and went to IR.   So, THIS^^^ begs the question: If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear....  Oops...wrong analogy.  ....  If a rookie is drafted, and doesn't play, or plays little, and accomplishes basically nothing or maybe a "wee bit", is moved to IR, and from there to the PS the following year....IS HE STILL A ROOKIE..??

SO...He's actually been "active" for just a few games, and played "just a wee bit."  Sorry, sounds like a 'rookie" to me.  Bag

Two Interceptions = well, really.?? NONE show up in the stats. Pre-season last year, against ???-string guys....I don't know about that 007...  There's a reason pre-season doesn't count for anything...right.??

****In all fairness to you (and Nixon..), your comment made me consider what I had posted...and caused me to do the research to uncover his stat-line. In fact, truthfully, I did not remember the INTs. from last year. I don't believe I even watched that game, although I might have..?? Pre-season games  mean nothing....as you well know. !!!
In any event, I stand corrected.   Worship  I will try to use more EXACT terminology..... Rookie; Rookie-esque; Rookie-like; Rookie-dumb; Rookie-stupid; Rookie-mistake; etc., etc.  Actually it'll be better that way. A built-in excuse for bad play. Who knows how many second and third year players will benefit from my erroneous ways..   Tongue
This post was last modified: 09-28-2022, 03:56 PM by Hobbit99.