Something You Might Not have Considered.....
Started by PantherFan007

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

3 posts in this topic
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,157 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
10-10-2022, 12:06 PM -
If you are not familiar with him, we actually have a pretty DECENT quarterback on our roster right now, and I am not referring to PJ Walker, although I would take PJ over Baker any given day. 

The quarterback I am referring to is Jacob Eason.  The kid is tall at 6'6 and 230 lbs, he is tough, has one hell of a strong arm, and a very quick release.  He was drafted by the Colts in the 4th Round of the 2020 NFL Draft, before ending up on the Panthers Practice Squad in 2022.

He made his NFL Debut last season vs (guess who?) the Carolina Panthers:

I'm saying we can bring this kid up to be backup to PJ Walker, and I wouldn't be too worried.
BlackCatzFan

370 posts 43 threads Joined: Dec 2019
10-10-2022, 12:22 PM -
Ya know, I’m completely OK with tanking this year for 1st overall. I say that, knowing I’d hate it but best chance at best player in the draft sounds great to me.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,764 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
10-10-2022, 02:37 PM -
Yep... I've been talking about this guy for the last month or more..... since Darnold went on IR.  No way to know how good this kid can be, until we let him play a little.  His primary interest for me is around his size. He's BIG and he's somewhat mobile. Bigger even than Cam was as a rookie. You can't coach/train 6' 6" -- 240.  Don't know how good he will be, but he can't possibly be any worse than Mayfield..... I don't think..??  One thing is for certain, 'batted balls', 'tipped passes' wouldn't be NEARLY as much of a problem. !!

With Darnold still not ready, Matt Corral out for the season, and now Mayfield hurting...... It seems like this may be the kid's first real opportunity. If Mayfield should happen to go "down", then I think Eason deserves a shot.  He certainly 'looks' the part of a NFL QB.  I am REALLY tired of small 'undersized' QBs playing a big man's game.  There have been precious few 'small statured' QBs that made it big in this league. Count 'em on one hand for sure...

Doug Flutie; Russell Wilson; Kyler Murray; Drew Brees; Michael Vick --- And there have been a few others. But take a look at that list. There is ONE sure HOF QB there.... Drew Brees.  And maybe Russell Wilson and maybe Kyler Murray.  Doug Flutie started it all, really, at least in OUR era. And he is not in the HOF.  Sure, there have been other 'small' QBs, but who here would count them in with the "Big Dogs".??  Small, Pee-Wee league, QBs just don't do it for me.   Sorry.  Truth hurts sometimes.  Give me a BIG, powerful QB with some agility ANY day, ANY time.

And Jacob Eason fits that mold.  So he's already ahead of Mayfield (in MY book...).
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,157 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
10-10-2022, 07:11 PM -
I'd bet he wouldn't have as many batted passes as Baker Mayfield. It's seriously mind-boggling how many passes he has had batted down EVERY SINGLE GAME>