NFL.com VIDEO: MATT RHULE - WHAT WENT WRONG?
Started by PantherFan007

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

3 posts in this topic
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,157 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
10-11-2022, 05:14 AM -
So here's an interesting video which might clear up a few things as far as Scott Fitterer goes.

According to these guys (and I wasn't quite sure myself), "Scott Fitterer is the General Manager but Matt Rhule had the final say on personnel". 

https://www.nfl.com/videos/ross-wyche-de...ers-tenure

That could explain why Matt Rhule is out and Scott Fitterer is still here.

They also alluded to the fact that he never quite figured out that coaching in the NFL is very different from coaching at the collegiate level. "You cannot run things the way you do in college. It doesn't work in the NFL".
This post was last modified: 10-11-2022, 05:15 AM by PantherFan007.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,764 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
10-11-2022, 07:04 AM -
Yep....

I've mentioned this several times over the past six weeks or so. Fitterer was "handcuffed" to Rhule from the very beginning. Shortly after they both arrived in Charlotte, Tepper had a 'presser' talking about Rhule and Fitterer. He said right then that Scott was going to do the 'paper' stuff, sort of handle the logistics behind the day to day operations, monitoring personnel, interfacing with the "cap" guys, running the draft room, etc., etc.

However..... ALL player/team decisions had to be made with Rhule. Rhule was the "decision" guy.  It didn't matter what the other coaches thought, didn't matter what 'Player Personnel' thought, didn't matter what the scouting guys thought, didn't matter what the GM wanted to do..... Whatever Rhule wanted was what happened. The decisions were made by Rhule..... then left to the rest of the guys to be implemented.  Sort of a .... "Here's what I want.  I don't care how you do it,  just make it happen..."

So Rhule was definitely in line for all the praise and plaudits.  But when his "process" (Rhule's favorite word..) didn't yield the desired results, it obviously left him as the 'scapegoat' as well.

Rhule's decisions; Rhule's process; Rhule's failure......  Rhule gets the axe, Fitterer is safe (at least momentarily..).  Of course, Tepper is nothing if not a bit of a "firebrand".  He could decide to dump Scott Fitterer as well.  I hope not, but.....
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,157 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
10-11-2022, 10:43 AM -
You live by the sword.... and you, well.... you know lol
coffee

238 posts 24 threads Joined: Dec 2019
10-11-2022, 11:52 AM -
I very much like Fitterer. Every GM makes some head-scratchers but I feel he's done much more with our resources than those before him. VERY interested to see what he'll do now if his hands have in fact been tied to Rhule.