Time to start talking college QB’s
Started by Firstchance

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

6 posts in this topic
Firstchance

715 posts 81 threads Joined: Dec 2019
11-16-2022, 07:55 PM -
I love watching college football and try to translate a players performance to the NFL game. Here are my top five QB’s, at this point. 

1. Drake Maye, won’t be in this years draft but this kid is head and shoulders above all others. 

1a. Michael Penix (Washington)
2.. Hendon Hooker (Tennessee)
3.. CJ Stroud (Ohio St) (his stock is dropping)
4.. Stetson Bennett (Georgia)
5.. Bo Nix (Oregon)

Honorable mention, in order:
Caleb Williams
Cameron Ward
Jordan Travis (his stocking is rising)
Max Duggan 
Bryce Young
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,764 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
11-16-2022, 10:22 PM -
(11-16-2022, 07:55 PM)Firstchance Wrote: I love watching college football and try to translate a players performance to the NFL game. Here are my top five QB’s, at this point. 

1. Drake Maye, won’t be in this years draft but this kid is head and shoulders above all others. 

1a. Michael Penix (Washington)
2.. Hendon Hooker (Tennessee)
3.. CJ Stroud (Ohio St) (his stock is dropping)
4.. Stetson Bennett (Georgia)
5.. Bo Nix (Oregon)

Honorable mention, in order:
Caleb Williams
Cameron Ward
Jordan Travis (his stocking is rising)
Max Duggan 
Bryce Young

Hey First....

I have some of my own ideas of course, but let's go with yours for awhile.....
Why don't you tell us a little about these guys, and why you like them or why you think they're 'not so good', Please. Huh 

It's sort of 'easy' to name guys, but since we sort of know you around here, I believe you must have reasons for putting them on your list in a prescribed order. Give us a why....???

Smile
Firstchance

11-18-2022, 11:57 AM -
As I mentioned, when watching all these games I try to translate how their game/play would relate to the next level. Not just QB’s but on many positions. However, with our need of a real QB for the future my emphasis has been more on them than other positions. With that said here are the items that I look for…arm strength, accuracy (and down the field not this Mickey Mouse short dump off let your receivers get yards and your completion percentage increases, those guys just don’t fit) mid level down field and most importantly how accurate they are at throwing the out. Their pocket presence. Their ability to see the field. The ability to not stare down and lock on to that one receivers. Their ability to be mobile but not necessarily as a runner. Their leadership as I perceive it. Their release, throwing motion and their follow through, do they step into to throws or throw off the back foot…do they throw off the back foot when needed but not as a standard procedure.

Now why I am registering all these items in my mind and not writing down notes I can remember them, even in my old age, to a high degree.

First let’s take Drake Maye off the table since he can’t come out. I’m pretty sure all the others “can” but might not as another year of college could help them. I hope it doesn’t hurt Maye because that kid has it all… the only thing I would possibly question is his overall leadership which may come along with being a redshirt freshman. Even though I see him improving and being “more into it” as each week passes.

I will over the next short period of time try to explain what I have seen, liked, disliked and the inbetween on the others.

Penix, First thing that sticks out is that he is a lefty, not sure that is either good or bad but he reminds me of a guy by the name of Steve Young. Yes I said it. He has the velocity and most importantly is that he throws strikes to each level. But what I have also noticed is that he doesn’t give away his throw, he has doesn’t stare down receivers. He’s a rather big guy, 6’3” give or take., has a good pocket presence, has a good pocket presence, hangs in there rather well, steps up and move laterally…. A little surprised that while he is mobile he doesn’t run a lot, that might be a byproduct of his coach because he is mobile. This kid has the tools…it is obvious… the only thing negative is like Maye he doesn’t appear to be that leader so to stay, I think he is a transfer in and still a new kid on the block… but in his last game you could see a little more come out in him. At this point in my book Penix is the man, the number one guy. However, being on the west coast he has had a couple games that I have not been able to see or record, like this w/e they okay on the pac network and I don’t get that. But the following week they play Washington St who has Cameron Ward, who I also like just not nearly as much as Penix at this point. Hopefully that game will be on Fox.
This post was last modified: 11-18-2022, 12:21 PM by Firstchance.
Firstchance

11-18-2022, 02:10 PM -
If Drake is a 10 and Michael is a 9 then Hooker comes in as an 8 and I actually had him closer to an 8.5 before the Bama game. His performance was not as good in that game but his surrounding teammates were off much more than he was, including several drop passes. But he also didn’t “see the field” as well as he should have. Still he has the size, the arm strength and pretty good accuracy. And he throws the out pattern with accuracy as well as anyone. Is mobile but panics a little when the pocket breaks down, see the Bame game. He is very mobile and run hard when he needs to. So far like the two about him, he seems to take a hit and keeps going. He possesses that leadership factor better than Penix but that may have to do with what I believe this is his 5th year, even if not all with UT. He throws pretty well off the run when the pocket breaks down and he can get outside, still has a little issue in stepping up though. He sometimes stares down a receiver unlike Penix and he is normally good for his first and second reads, Penix on the other hand can easily go one two three and even four. This will have to change at the next level for Hooker to ever be a starter.

C J Stroud. Now he really has me rubbing my eyes. Early on I felt like he was the best QB that would be available in this years draft. Everything was pretty good with the exception on his accuracy on short range passes, even screen like passes. He has arm strength and can throw outside the numbers. Early on he was so accurate outside the numbers and mid range and long downfield. His last two game though… wow he has not even been close. Very inaccurate, not making reads, not making good decisions. I could give him one game but two straight. And his throws have been high, talking about getting your receiver killed. Runs well, manages well. Shows good leadership. I know one game, the Northwestern game, had some heavy winds but he was horrible both into and down wind. Picked it back up last week but still not very accurate. We will have to see how he finishes out. Or I will. Lol.
This post was last modified: 11-18-2022, 02:23 PM by Firstchance.
Firstchance

11-18-2022, 04:04 PM -
Bennett. His size concerns me. Has a quick release and is accurate while in the pocket BUT he gets a fair amount of time that I’m not sure he will get at the next level. Not as accurate when he is on the move outside the pocket. Really doesn’t thrill me to watch him BUT he wins! He does have a great support system. Arm strength is decent but doesn’t have the zip. But he wins. See the field well, accurate to mid range but puts too much air in deep routes. But he wins. He has the leadership IT, best of the group. And he wins. Also holds for extra points and field goals. I guess that’s a plus. I think he will be a solid back up in time.

Nix wasn’t even in my mix first half of the season. Seems not to be able to read a defense, was inaccurate much too often, actually seemed a little lost. But he has continued to improve and improve rapidly. Maybe the slow (and bad start) was that he was new to the offense and his supporting staff. ??? Have a great arm, very athletic, probably the most athletic of this group. And his last three games have been better than good. Will be curious to see if he finishes strong or just had a few good weeks. Their offense is rather different. He has a tendacy to leave the pocket quickly. Maybe just how that offense is set up… won’t work at the next level. A lot of QB runs which don’t thrill me. Shows a lot of leadership even though his first year there. He is a curious one for sure but the past several games have he has been twice as good as Stroud.
This post was last modified: 11-18-2022, 04:15 PM by Firstchance.
Firstchance

11-18-2022, 10:50 PM -
Caleb Williams and Dorian Thompson-Robinson match up tomorrow night.

Bennett and Will Levis matchup at 3:30…Levis, a lot of preseason hype based on decent performances last year, has been average at best this year… very curious to see how he matches up against this defense.
This post was last modified: 11-19-2022, 07:16 AM by Firstchance.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,764 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
12-11-2022, 09:45 AM -
I remembered First had posted this stuff a couple of weeks back after I asked him for specifics. If you haven't read it, do it now. It's pretty good stuff. Thanks First.

The reason I bring it back here today is because the college games are moving forward toward their championship and the post-season bowl games. A lot of the guys First mentioned will be playing somewhere "post season". Because the Panthers have a BIG interest in the QBs that are coming out for the draft, I think First is right and a deeper look at the QBs is in order. There is another reason also, which I will get to in a minute....

Anyway, here are a few of the QB draft rankings and profiles from the "Big Heads" across the spectrum.  It's interesting to see how First's picks line up with the 'big boys'.

PRO FOOTBALL FOCUS:  PFF's Top Five QBs For 2023 Draft

DRAFTWIRE:  Updated 2023 QB Rankings

WALTER FOOTBALL:  2023 QB Draft Rankings and Stats

Good Job, First.....

The other reason I brought this back up here is because of the Heisman Trophy. The balloting for the Heisman is complete and the results have been released. I will post a mention in the "College" area forum with some links, but I'm posting it here because..... The four finalists for the Heisman this year are all QBs. I think it's interesting and pertinent to this discussion because of 'who' was part of the Heisman balloting and who was conspicuous by NOT being part.

So, the top four Heisman ballots were for .....

QB Stetson Bennet --- Georgia
QB CJ Stroud --- Ohio State
QB Max Duggan --- TCU
QB Caleb Williams --- USC

And, of course, the winner of the Heisman Trophy this year is QB Caleb Williams from USC.  USC went 11-1 this year in the regular season with Williams at QB. They will be playing in the Cotton Bowl on Jan. 2nd against Tulane. However, USC is NOT part of the discussion for the college National Championship. Their one regular season loss this year was to Utah. THEN.... they lost again to the Utes in the Pac-12 Championship game. In fact, they were 'blown out' by the Utes 47-24 in the Championship game.  What this says about QB Caleb Williams, I'm not certain.....  One thing is for sure. The Utes have figured him out.!!

The one thing I noticed immediately about the list of four finalists for the Heisman is ........ Bryce Young was not one of the choices.  (AND YES--- I know he won last year. He actually finished 6th this year behind these four and Hooker from Tennessee who finished 5th...).

Things that make you go ... Hmmm.  Confused Confused

FOR THOSE WHO CARE.....

Here is the final balloting for the 2022 Heisman Trophy. It will give you some idea how the players ranked nationally against each other.

This is a "thumbnail" image, so click on it and it will expand so you can read it better...

This post was last modified: 12-11-2022, 10:17 AM by Hobbit99.