Started by Hobbit99

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

1 posts in this topic
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,769 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
12-14-2022, 01:09 PM -
Okay. We've finally put together a winning "streak". We've won two in a row. And, we've won a game that wasn't played at BofA. As odd as that might sound, it does represent a move toward respectability. With four games left to play, everything is on the line -- every game. We are 5-8 going into week 15. There are four weeks (and obviously four games) left to play. At this point, we have won the same number of games so far this year as we did last year and the year before, and the year before that as well. So, one more win this year moves us beyond the mess we've had for the past three years.  Of course, there's a lot more to it than that...... But, I'll leave it for now and just say there is a 'hint' of respectability available to the Panthers, IF we can 'keep it together' over the next four weeks.

So, there is a realistic possibility the Panthers could end the year with a winning record (9-8). There is also a realistic possibility that the Panthers could 'implode' and lose four in a row. THAT is the reason our teams have to show up and play every game. We cannot anoint them as the 'victor' without first playing the game.

So ONE week/game at a time. This week the Panthers entertain the Pittsburgh Steelers at home in BofA. The Panthers have played a lot better at home recently, and neither of these teams have set their divisions or conference on fire this year. In fact, the Panthers and the Steelers have identical records so far this year. (5-8).......  HOWEVER, that doesn't tell the whole story. The Panthers have beaten the Steelers only ONCE over their history of playing against each other. That's right, the Panthers record against the Steelers is 1-6.  AND, the Steelers have won the last six in a row.  So, to say that the outcome of this game is severely 'in doubt' would be an understatement.

The week opened with the Panthers a 1 point underdog. Over the last couple of days the odds have moved a little and currently the Panthers are favored slightly. The current line shows the Panthers as a 2.5 point favorite. The Over-Under is fairly low at 38, indicating the current thought that the game will be more of a defensive struggle. 

I'm sure, as the week moves forward, things will get more clear....or muddier, depending....
This post was last modified: 12-14-2022, 01:12 PM by Hobbit99.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,769 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
12-14-2022, 03:14 PM -
After my opening post ^^^ ... I started thinking about the Panthers record against the Steelers. It seemed odd that the Panthers have played the Steelers only 7 times in 27+ YEARS.   It seems as if there has been a lot more games than that... Doesn't it. ???

Well.... The answer of course is because of the Panthers LONG history of playing the Steelers in the pre-season. I THINK I'm correct when I say the Panthers have played the Steelers 22 times in the pre-season.!!  I'm still looking to try and find the W-L stats for those games.... although it doesn't really matter. If I can verify the results (without spending hours researching..), I'll post the numbers.

Here, for those who care, are the actual results for Panthers vs. Steelers in regular season games. And YES... only 7 games.

This image is a "thumbnail" so 'click on it to enlarge...

So, it wasn't too difficult ....  APPARENTLY ( I say "apparently" because all of this is dependent on ONE source -- a Steelers source..).

The Panthers have played the Steelers 22 times in the pre-season since 1996 or 1997.  This thumbnail image is from the Steelers source, SteelCityUnderground. I'll post a link to the entire article if you're interested in reading all about the Steelers...

Thumbnail image.... Click to enlarge.

STEEL CITY UNDERGROUND: Link To Article

So...NOTE:  This image ^^^ is from 2018 BEFORE the Panthers played the Steelers in the pre-season that year. So, since that was published, there have been three additional games played between these teams in the pre-season.

2018 --- Steelers WIN  39-24
2019 --- Panthers WIN  25-19
2020 --- Cancelled COVID
2021 --- Panthers WIN  34-9
2022 (This year)  No game scheduled in the pre-season.  Play the Steelers in Regular Season.

So, if you add two WINS and one LOSS to the totals in the Steelers article, The Panthers are 10-12 all-time (in the pre-season..) against the Steelers.

Bunch of relatively worthless information, BUT at least it explains why it seems like we have played the Steelers a LOT...

**** Because we have..!!****
This post was last modified: 12-14-2022, 03:57 PM by Hobbit99.