PANTHERS IN PRELIMINARY TALKS WITH VETERAN QUARTERBACK....
Started by PantherFan007

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

3 posts in this topic
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,156 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
03-01-2023, 07:14 PM -
....  Fbwow

Keep your shirts on lol.  It's SAM DARNOLD.  

Fblaugh

Tongue

Panthers Have Had 'Preliminary Discussions' With 1 Veteran Quarterback (msn.com)

According to ESPN's David Newton, the Panthers have already had preliminary discussions with representatives of Sam Darnold.

Newton added that Carolina is focused on signing a veteran quarterback on a mid-level salary. Carr doesn't exactly check off that box since he's reportedly seeking a contract that'll pay him $35 million per year.

If the Panthers want to draft a quarterback and add a veteran to their depth chart, Darnold makes a lot of sense.

David Newton
@DNewtonespn
·
Follow
While the Panthers are meeting with Derek Carr in Indianapolis, their focus is more on mid-level (salary-wise) veteran quarterbacks. They already have had preliminary discussions with representatives of Sam Darnold, per sources. Darnold makes sense if they plan to draft a QB

Darnold appeared in six games for the Panthers this past season, completing 58.6 percent of his passes for 1,143 yards with seven touchdowns and three interceptions. The team went 4-2 in his six starts.

Although the Panthers already had preliminary discussions with Darnold, their front office is set to meet with Carr at the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis.

The Panthers are trying to find the right quarterback to pair with new head coach Frank Reich.
This post was last modified: 03-01-2023, 07:15 PM by PantherFan007.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,759 posts 502 threads Joined: Dec 2019
03-02-2023, 12:24 PM -
It is my genuine belief....

I don't think the Panthers will invest TOO heavily in a veteran QB. 

So... I believe that the Panthers will pass on Derek Carr.  (Although I believe Carr WOULD be the best QB in the NFC South..).

So... I also believe that L. Jackson and A. Rogers are also WAY, WAY too expensive for the Panthers to seriously consider.

The Panthers WANT to "Draft and Develop" a QB.

The Panthers currently have Matt Corral (3rd Rounder..) under contract..... But he is recovering from a LisFranc injury from last year.  And ... FYI ... The average recovery time for NFL players from LisFranc injuries is almost a FULL YEAR.!!  Which means, even though it happened in the pre-season last year...... Corral will most likely miss all of OTAs, summer workouts, mini camp, AND some (at least..) of Training Camp and probably the Pre-season as well.  Is it even possible for him to be ready for Week one (1).??

Sooo.... I believe the Panthers will sign a veteran QB as a "bridge".

AND... I believe the Panthers WILL draft a QB to start getting ready.  The question is... WHO..???

The Panthers COULD let Darnold escape in FA. and sign PJ Walker. Walker is a "Restricted Rights" FA.  All the Panthers have to do is "tender" an offer, then match any other offer he received in FA...... If they decided to go this route.

The Panthers COULD sign Darnold to a team-friendly contract and let PJ Walker "walk".  This is actually my favorite option.....

If the Panthers sign Darnold, they would then have to seriously consider drafting a QB..... Which would probably mean moving up to secure what they wanted....depending on how the first few picks developed. OR wait a little and MAYBE take Hooker in the 2nd, or Tanner McGee or Stetson Bennett at some point..??

OR... The Panthers could just decide to ride it out with a veteran and Corral and go for broke next year...???
This post was last modified: 03-02-2023, 12:26 PM by Hobbit99.
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,156 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
03-02-2023, 04:41 PM -
Well, here's what FItterer said (loosely quoted) this morning (I"m posting a link on a different thread);

When asked how aggressive the Panthers will be about "going up and getting the guy they want", he said, '"Very Aggressive. You HAVE to be, because you don't get this opportunity often and I'm hoping we won't be picking in the top ten again, so it's better now than later". But then he interjected that, "But you have to remember, there are also quality guys in the later rounds. Last week we met with Max Duggan from TCU. He was the first one we actually brought in".

Doesn't sound like they are thinking about spending a lot of money on a veteran quarterback, but that's just me.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,759 posts 502 threads Joined: Dec 2019
03-03-2023, 08:53 AM -
(03-02-2023, 04:41 PM)PantherFan007 Wrote: Well, here's what FItterer said (loosely quoted) this morning (I"m posting a link on a different thread);

When asked how aggressive the Panthers will be about "going up and getting the guy they want", he said, '"Very Aggressive.  You HAVE to be, because you don't get this opportunity often and I'm hoping we won't be picking in the top ten again, so it's better now than later".  But then he interjected that, "But you have to remember, there are also quality guys in the later rounds.  Last week we met with Max Duggan from TCU.  He was the first one we actually brought in". 

Doesn't sound like they are thinking about spending a lot of money on a veteran quarterback, but that's just me.

AGREED... As I mentioned up there ^^^, I believe there are several options that do NOT include a lot of money. !!