Started by PantherFan007

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

3 posts in this topic
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,158 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
04-12-2023, 12:47 PM -
Congratulations to him!  I can't believe they are replacing him with Tom Freaking Brady.  Yeah, I can believe it, but I don't like believing it.  I enjoyed hearing Greg announce games so much.  I hope another Network picks him up.

https://www.panthers.com/news/panthers-l...ports-emmy

CHARLOTTE — Panthers legend Greg Olsen has quickly proven himself as talented off the field as he was on it.

The former tight end has been a fast riser since entering the broadcast world and was recently nominated for a Sports Emmy, one of his new field's highest honors.

Olsen, who has become Fox Network's top game analyst, was one of five nominees in the outstanding personality/emerging on-air talent category.

Other nominees in his category include ESPN/ABC/SEC Network's Andraya Carter, along with ESPN's Robert Griffin III, Eli Manning, and JJ Redick.

The 44th Annual Sports Emmy Awards will be presented during a ceremony at Lincoln Center in New York on Monday, May 22. Longtime broadcaster Bryant Gumbel will receive the Lifetime Achievement Award from the National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences during the ceremony as well.

Olsen began broadcasting games during bye weeks when he was playing and quickly became one of the best in the game after his retirement. Paired with Kevin Burkhardt in 2021, they became Fox's top tandem last year and called Super Bowl LVII.

During his 14 seasons as a player (including nine with the Panthers), he caught 742 passes for 8,683 yards and 60 touchdowns. From 2014-2016, he became the first tight end in NFL history to reach 1,000 receiving yards in a season for three straight years. He's also remained active in the Charlotte community since retirement through his family's Heartest Yard foundation.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,769 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
04-13-2023, 12:00 AM -
Greg deserves the recognition. He does a GREAT Job.
Firstchance

716 posts 81 threads Joined: Dec 2019
04-13-2023, 03:37 AM -
Greg has done an excellent job in this endeavor. He has grown and progressed quickly. I thought he took a few steps back on harboring the Bradbury call as in no way and then Bradbury admitting it after the game that it was a good call. Greg went a little over Board and too long, almost like he was going to have the call overturned. Sure he will also learn from that, state a more lacked opinion and move on. Again, he has made tremendous progress.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,769 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
04-13-2023, 08:39 PM -
(04-13-2023, 03:37 AM)Firstchance Wrote: Greg has done an excellent job in this endeavor. He has grown and progressed quickly. I thought he took a few steps back on harboring the Bradbury call as in no way and then Bradbury admitting it after the game that it was a good call. Greg went a little over Board and too long, almost like he was going to have the call overturned. Sure he will also learn from that, state a more lacked opinion and move on. Again, he has made tremendous progress.

Yes.... Agreed (mostly..). You're talking about the Super Bowl I assume. I agreed with Greg on that foul. Yeah, Bradberry made contact and in fact may have "held" the receiver slightly (as he said..). However, I would contend that it was really a "No harm" foul. The receiver was clear of the defender and was "clean" long before the ball arrived. The ball was overthrown and virtually uncatchable (IMHO..). The camera angle was not great, so I could have missed something, but I thought it was sort of a "ticky-tack" foul. No real harm done...

Anyway, I think Greg did a GREAT job all year. He deserves to be on that #1 broadcast team.