Started by PantherFan007

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

12 posts in this topic
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,299 posts 742 threads Joined: Dec 2019
03-03-2023, 10:00 AM -
I have seen him compared time and again to Cam Newton.  Even Cam Newton 2.0.

That could be fun to watch with the right supporting staff in place.

Panthers are all-in on surprising NFL Draft QB prospect (msn.com)

ESPN NFL Draft analyst Matt Miller says he gets the sense that the Carolina Panthers are "all in" on one quarterback prospect.

The Carolina Panthers are in a position in which they can select one of the top four quarterback prospects in the upcoming NFL Draft. Realistically, however, they could select the last of the top four, as they hold the ninth-overall pick. The Panthers have Frank Reich as head coach, who does specialize in developing and getting the most out of his quarterback. But does he have a preference as to which prospect he wants to wear a Panthers uniform?

During an appearance on ESPN's NFL Live, NFL Draft analyst Matt Miller said he gets the sense that the Panthers are "all in" on Florida quarterback Anthony Richardson.

"You definitely get the sense that they're all in on Anthony Richardson. I know it's gonna make Dan [Orlovsky] very happy," said Miller, h/t PanthersWire. "The athleticism is there, the arm strength is there. And you hear—this offensive staff, led by Frank Reich, they believe that they can develop a quarterback with guys like Jim Caldwell, Thomas Brown they bring in from the L.A. Rams, there's gonna be a lot of vertical things he can do down the field.

I think this is a good situation for Richardson. A top-10 pick, which we're all expecting. They can bring back Sam Darnold, who can really hold the door for a year, then let someone like Richardson develop."

The 2023 quarterback draft class is headlined by Alabama's Bryce Young and Ohio State's C.J. Stroud. There is also Kentucky's Will Levis, who has the prototypical size and arm that scouts tend to gravitate towards. As for Richardson, while he does need some development, he may have the highest ceiling among them all.

Richardson just got off of his first season as Florida's starting quarterback. There were some struggles throughout the year in terms of decision-making, but Richardson showed flashes of his playmaking ability. From his arm strength to target his receiver deep downfield, to using his legs to extend plays or make a huge run. If he can put it all together, he could very well be an electric dual-threat quarterback. NFL.com has Richardson's player comparison as none other than former Panthers quarterback Cam Newton.
Firstchance
Posting Freak

756 posts 84 threads Joined: Dec 2019
03-03-2023, 11:29 AM -
Can’t help to to visualize JaMarcus Russell when I watch him. No doubt the sky is the limit but so is the basement here.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

3,001 posts 559 threads Joined: Dec 2019
03-03-2023, 06:09 PM -
Just like we were saying about Levis….. You start hearing things about these players. Anthony Richardson just threw out some remarks that are bouncing around. The press asked him about a tendency to ‘burn’ the ball on shorter throws making them hard to handle. His comments were basically…. “I don’t care what they think. Receivers just gotta catch the ball.”

With that attitude, he’s not going to make many friends. And to be successful at this level, he’s going to need receiver friends..

I am beginning to slide away from Richardson.  Attitude, Attitude, ATTITUDE.  Attitude is everything.
PantherFan007
Administrator

03-03-2023, 10:08 PM -
The Talking Heads are all over the place about the Panthers. There is even an article quoting Scott Fitterer as saying the Panthers are extremely interested in Hendon Hooker. Everybody's interested in everybody. It's news no news. Fake news. Smoke screen? lol I swear this time of years the rumors will fly.

But yeah, I get the Jamarcus Russell vibe from Richardson, too. Not a warm and fuzzy whatsoever.
This post was last modified: 03-03-2023, 10:08 PM by PantherFan007.
BlackCatzFan

391 posts 44 threads Joined: Dec 2019
03-04-2023, 11:54 AM -
(03-03-2023, 10:08 PM)PantherFan007 Wrote: The Talking Heads are all over the place about the Panthers.  There is even an article quoting Scott Fitterer as saying the Panthers are extremely interested in Hendon Hooker.  Everybody's interested in everybody.  It's news no news.  Fake news.  Smoke screen?  lol  I swear this time of years the rumors will fly. 

But yeah, I get the Jamarcus Russell vibe from Richardson, too.  Not a warm and fuzzy whatsoever.

I would put Henson Hooker light years above this guy.   10000/10 DO NOT WANT!
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

03-04-2023, 12:38 PM -
(03-04-2023, 11:54 AM)BlackCatzFan Wrote:
(03-03-2023, 10:08 PM)PantherFan007 Wrote: The Talking Heads are all over the place about the Panthers.  There is even an article quoting Scott Fitterer as saying the Panthers are extremely interested in Hendon Hooker.  Everybody's interested in everybody.  It's news no news.  Fake news.  Smoke screen?  lol  I swear this time of years the rumors will fly. 

But yeah, I get the Jamarcus Russell vibe from Richardson, too.  Not a warm and fuzzy whatsoever.

I would put Henson Hooker light years above this guy.   10000/10 DO NOT WANT!

YES!!!
Right now my impression of Richardson is non-existent. We don’t need a prima-donna trouble-maker.

I’m impressed with Levis and Hooker.
Firstchance
Posting Freak

756 posts 84 threads Joined: Dec 2019
03-04-2023, 03:12 PM -
Remember this name. Tyson Bagent… I have never heard of him much less seen him but his on the field drills were probably the best at the combine. Kid has game. Going to have to do some research here.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

03-04-2023, 03:51 PM -
(03-04-2023, 03:12 PM)Firstchance Wrote: Remember this name. Tyson Bagent… I have never heard of him much less seen him but his on the field drills were probably the best at the combine. Kid has game. Going to have to do some research here.

Hmmm....  Small school QB (Div II) Shepard College (Univ..??)  I have never heard of it--Don't know where it is..

Lots of "good" reports out of Div. II. -----  6' 3" -- 213 ---= Decent height but really light on weight for the NFL.

COMBINE ACTION:  

"Production" Score = 52 = Not Good = #15 QB at the Combine.
"Athleticism" Score = 78 = Low Average = #10 QB at the Combine.
"Overall" Score = 60 = Not Good = #14 QB at the Combine.

40 Yd Dash = 4.79 --- 10 Yd Split = 1.58 --- Vertical Jump = 36 ---  Broad Jump = 10' 0" --- Apparently didn't do the 3-Cone, 20 Shuttle, or Bench Press. Or at least not yet (not recorded).

We all know the Combine results don't mean everything.  However they do offer a way to discriminate between players who all do the same drills.

I'm not sure what all of this means, --- BUT..???
PantherFan007
Administrator

03-04-2023, 04:08 PM -
The problem I have with Hendon Hooker is that he took a pretty bad injury in the game against South Carolina that knocked them out of contention.  I don't remember if it was a knee or an ankle injury, but it looked bad.  Not sure he'd hold up as a starter his rookie season.

EDIT:  Here is the update. He tore his ACL.

Hendon Hooker injury update: Tennessee QB tears ACL against South Carolina | Sporting News

Tennessee quarterback Hendon Hooker, a Heisman Trophy hopeful, appeared to suffer a severe leg injury in the fourth quarter of the No. 5 Volunteers' loss to South Carolina on Saturday night.

Hooker went down after planting his left leg on a fake pitch. He crumbled to the turf, losing the ball in the process. It was scooped up by a Gamecocks defender.

On Sunday, the Volunteers announced Hooker had torn his ACL, ending his collegiate career.

This post was last modified: 03-04-2023, 04:12 PM by PantherFan007.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

03-04-2023, 05:03 PM -
(03-04-2023, 04:08 PM)PantherFan007 Wrote: The problem I have with Hendon Hooker is that he took a pretty bad injury in the game against South Carolina that knocked them out of contention.  I don't remember if it was a knee or an ankle injury, but it looked bad.  Not sure he'd hold up as a starter his rookie season.

EDIT:  Here is the update. He tore his ACL.

Hendon Hooker injury update: Tennessee QB tears ACL against South Carolina | Sporting News

Tennessee quarterback Hendon Hooker, a Heisman Trophy hopeful, appeared to suffer a severe leg injury in the fourth quarter of the No. 5 Volunteers' loss to South Carolina on Saturday night.

Hooker went down after planting his left leg on a fake pitch. He crumbled to the turf, losing the ball in the process. It was scooped up by a Gamecocks defender.

On Sunday, the Volunteers announced Hooker had torn his ACL, ending his collegiate career.

Yeah…. Injuries are a big part of the game, unfortunately.  ACLs are pretty common and fairly routine repair and recovery. Still, it would be a lot better for Hooker and any team thinking of drafting him if there was no injury history. 
Due diligence is the story here…..