Started by PantherFan007

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

12 posts in this topic
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,163 posts 708 threads Joined: Dec 2019
04-25-2023, 02:51 PM -
Panthers Announce They've Made Decision On No. 1 Overall Pick (msn.com)

Panthers head coach Frank Reich had exciting news to announce this Tuesday afternoon. The team has decided who it'll select with the No. 1 overall pick in the 2023 NFL Draft.

Reich told reporters that he discussed the team's plan with general manager Scott Fitterer.

“It was kind of like a proposal. And I said yes," Reich said. "We have a consensus and we are excited.”

Of course, Reich didn't reveal who the pick will be. NFL fans will have to wait until Thursday night to find out.

Panthers HC Frank Reich said GM Scott Fitterer went into his office yesterday & asked him his preferred QB to take with No.1 overall pick.

“It was kind of like a proposal. And I said yes. We have a consensus and we are excited.”

Carolina knows the QB who will be their top pick.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,773 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
04-25-2023, 03:14 PM -
I would have thought we knew this two or three weeks ago....... Maybe not..??

Oh well, Thursday evening everyone will know.
PantherFan007
Administrator

04-25-2023, 08:41 PM -
(04-25-2023, 03:14 PM)Hobbit99 Wrote: I would have thought we knew this two or three weeks ago....... Maybe not..??

Oh well, Thursday evening everyone will know.

I was in a hurry when I posted this, so I didn't have time to add a commentary, but yeah, right???  I mean, is this actually NEWS to anyone that the Panthers know exactly WHO they are choosing two days before the draft?

Nothing to see here, keep on walking news fluffers.
PantherFan007
Administrator

04-25-2023, 08:43 PM -
But, you know.... Let says they have taunted Bryce Young as The Guy over the past month or so, but have their eye set on someone else. It would actually make sense that they keep dangling Bryce Young as the #1 pick. It would sweeten the pot for anyone who seriously wanted to get him and mortgage the farm to get the Panthers to move back down two or three picks (and perhaps STILL get "Their Guy").
Firstchance

716 posts 81 threads Joined: Dec 2019
04-25-2023, 09:18 PM -
(04-25-2023, 08:43 PM)PantherFan007 Wrote: But, you know.... Let says they have taunted Bryce Young as The Guy over the past month or so, but have their eye set on someone else.  It would actually make sense that they keep dangling Bryce Young as the #1 pick.  It would sweeten the pot for anyone who seriously wanted to get him and mortgage the farm to get the Panthers to move back down two or three picks (and perhaps STILL get "Their Guy").

Agreed. But… someone else would really have to want him, you know a small undersized NFL qb and there has been zero discussion concerning such. As many here know I see Young being a total bust. I hope I’m completely wrong but I just can’t get excited.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

04-25-2023, 11:40 PM -
(04-25-2023, 09:18 PM)Firstchance Wrote: Agreed. But… someone else would really have to want him, you know a small undersized NFL qb and there has been zero discussion concerning such. As many here know I see Young being a total bust. I hope I’m completely wrong but I just can’t get excited.

Agreed.  I am totally against Young as OUR QB. For a team that espouses analytics like the Panthers say they do, choosing Young makes no sense. He might turn out OK, but the odds are seriously against him. As I discussed  (link HERE) ... there are very, VERY few QBs in the last fifty years or so who have broken through this size bias, ....  and only three (3) as a 1st round pick.  It just makes no sense to trade up that far, give up an elite WR and draft capital, to take a flyer on a pipsqueak QB out of Alabama.

I know we all remember Tua Tagovailoa. The last QB out of 'Bama. Remember the 'hype' that settled in around him (JUST LIKE the hype around Young now). Remember the cautionary words some of us mentioned back then. To no avail, of course. The "HYPE train" held sway and Tua was drafted by the Dolphins at #5 overall. He flopped for two years, then started to play a little better last year toward the end of the season especially. He is now going into his fourth year with precious little "good" to be said. His most serious problems are size related. He took a LOT of pressure and a LOT of hits. Suffered through three concussions and seriously considered retirement last year.

AND remember this. Bryce Young is a LOT smaller than Tua. Tua is NOT big, but he's  bigger than Young.!!  This "size" bias does not portend anything good for Bryce Young.  He's just too small to be realistically expected to prevail in the NFL.  Go back and look at the link I posted right here near the top of this post. (Marked in pink "HERE"). It's right up there just a few lines up from here.  I did the research, just read it if you haven't. It SHOULD open your eyes about the prospects for small stature QBs in the NFL.
This post was last modified: 04-25-2023, 11:45 PM by Hobbit99.
PantherFan007
Administrator

04-26-2023, 05:28 AM -
(04-25-2023, 09:18 PM)Firstchance Wrote:
(04-25-2023, 08:43 PM)PantherFan007 Wrote: But, you know.... Let says they have taunted Bryce Young as The Guy over the past month or so, but have their eye set on someone else.  It would actually make sense that they keep dangling Bryce Young as the #1 pick.  It would sweeten the pot for anyone who seriously wanted to get him and mortgage the farm to get the Panthers to move back down two or three picks (and perhaps STILL get "Their Guy").

Agreed. But… someone else would really have to want him, you know a small undersized NFL qb and there has been zero discussion concerning such. As many here know I see Young being a total bust. I hope I’m completely wrong but I just can’t get excited.

Oh yeah, I get it, but just playing all the cards, it "could" make sense as to why the Panthers have seemingly tried to boost Bryce Young as the #1 pick and how great he is, or you could say, at least, that they did nothing to dispel the rumors.  As I have said all along, I personally feel that Bryce Young is one good hit away from morphing into Tua Tagovailoa.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

04-26-2023, 09:02 AM -
(04-26-2023, 05:28 AM)PantherFan007 Wrote:
(04-25-2023, 09:18 PM)Firstchance Wrote:

Oh yeah, I get it, but just playing all the cards, it "could" make sense as to why the Panthers have seemingly tried to boost Bryce Young as the #1 pick and how great he is, or you could say, at least, that they did nothing to dispel the rumors.  As I have said all along, I personally feel that Bryce Young is one good hit away from morphing into Tua Tagovailoa.

Everything said here is absolutely true. I agree Mr. Bond.....  However, I really don't think the Panthers would intentionally disclose, release, or promote  false information about ANY player.  At least I hope they wouldn't.  But would they take advantage of the situation if it occurred or was spread from a different source.??  I suspect they probably would use the situation to their advantage if possible. And I can't really fault them for that.
PantherFan007
Administrator

04-26-2023, 09:57 AM -
(04-26-2023, 09:02 AM)Hobbit99 Wrote: Everything said here is absolutely true. I agree Mr. Bond.....  However, I really don't think the Panthers would intentionally disclose, release, or promote  false information about ANY player.  At least I hope they wouldn't.  But would they take advantage of the situation if it occurred or was spread from a different source.??  I suspect they probably would use the situation to their advantage if possible. And I can't really fault them for that.

Now, that I didn't say (that the Panthers released or promoted false information.  What I am saying is that they said NOTHING to make anyone think otherwise from what the talking heads are indicating.   And, if the Panthers did let everyone think they were going to draft Bryce Young, it would make his stock value go up and sweeten the pot if someone wanted to try a "last minute trade" just before the Draft.  If that happened and the Panthers didn't want Bryce Young, they could still get a sweet deal from the trade back and then still be able to get the guy they really wanted. 

Just saying  Not that they are evening considering it, but just saying, "What if?"
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

04-26-2023, 02:38 PM -
(04-26-2023, 09:57 AM)PantherFan007 Wrote:
(04-26-2023, 09:02 AM)Hobbit99 Wrote: Everything said here is absolutely true. I agree Mr. Bond.....  However, I really don't think the Panthers would intentionally disclose, release, or promote  false information about ANY player.  At least I hope they wouldn't.  But would they take advantage of the situation if it occurred or was spread from a different source.??  I suspect they probably would use the situation to their advantage if possible. And I can't really fault them for that.

Now, that I didn't say (that the Panthers released or promoted false information.  What I am saying is that they said NOTHING to make anyone think otherwise from what the talking heads are indicating.   And, if the Panthers did let everyone think they were going to draft Bryce Young, it would make his stock value go up and sweeten the pot if someone wanted to try a "last minute trade" just before the Draft.  If that happened and the Panthers didn't want Bryce Young, they could still get a sweet deal from the trade back and then still be able to get the guy they really wanted. 

Just saying  Not that they are evening considering it, but just saying, "What if?"

I completely understand... And I didn't say that you said anything like that, or were guilty of intimating anything about what the Panthers might or might not be thinking or doing.  At least I THINK that's what I think.??  I mean, that's what I was intending to think.....I think.?? Sick Sick

Now that we have agreed on what we said, and what we THINK the other has said.... I AGREE..... with your possible scenario. As I mentioned originally, I think it would be a naturally occurring event if the Panthers took advantage of the situation. Which is what you said in slightly different vernacular.  At least I think that's what you said (or meant to say???).

Sheesh.. Imagine consorting with convoluted conundrums (just a little alliteration for your reading pleasure..) like this, on a hourly or daily basis.
"Silly Season" at it's best. (Bless you, Josh).
Big Grin Big Grin