Penny retires
Started by Ladypanther

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

4 posts in this topic
Ladypanther

611 posts 115 threads Joined: Oct 2023
07-30-2024, 05:53 PM -
Well...that did not last long. I never really understood the signing.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports...66614.html

The Carolina Panthers’ crowded running back room thinned out a bit Tuesday morning. The team placed veteran running back Rashaad Penny on the reserve/retired list on Tuesday morning, meaning the 2018 first-round pick is no longer considered part of the 90-man roster. The reserve/retired list typically means that a player has retired, but that if he decides to return to playing, the team retains his rights under the player’s contract. Penny signed to the Panthers in May in hopes for competing for a final roster spot — which would be determined at the end of the preseason. The Panthers signed wide receiver Tayvion Robinson, a rookie out of Kentucky, to fill his roster spot. Head coach Dave Canales told reporters Tuesday after practice that he and Penny discussed Penny’s future Monday afternoon.

“Rashaad Penny has decided to retire,” Canales said. “It was a really cool opportunity for me — I knew Rashaad at his best — to see if we could get him to that kind of look. And he came up, and he just felt like he wasn’t himself, and I had to respect that going forward.
Firstchance
Posting Freak

756 posts 84 threads Joined: Dec 2019
07-30-2024, 05:57 PM -
It’s weird that a self proclaimed “one of the best in the league backs” just a couple days ago would suddenly retire. And I agree it never really added up. So no harm no foul.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

3,001 posts 559 threads Joined: Dec 2019
07-30-2024, 08:14 PM -
This is really strange. RB with only 6 years in the league. 28 yrs old (I think..). He's acting like he has lost all interest. There is no "dawg" there. Something about not feeling like he could perform up to standard..??  Unless he has suffered a bad injury and is "worried", I just don't get it...

Gave up. Lost interest. Doesn't want to put the work in.  Oh well, we haven't lost anything...

Whistling
"A Reasoned Response From A Reasonable Mind"
OceanPanther

151 posts 17 threads Joined: Mar 2020
07-31-2024, 09:23 AM -
We understand that retiring for professional athletes is hard. I think he wanted to give it one more try.. And he could see the hand writing on wall. So why keep getting hit in 90 plus degree heat. He can now walk away..
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,299 posts 742 threads Joined: Dec 2019
08-01-2024, 05:15 AM -
There was undoubtedly some underlying personal circumstance which we will likely never know, but cudos to him for doing what he feels is best for him and his family. Best wishes, Rashaad!